rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Collar Stays

Collar Stays

Looking for some info on collar stays. Did a bit of searching on here, didn't find much.

After many years of having dress shirts that don't fit worth a shit I am going to start updating my collared shirts with ones that fit. As I am a difficult shape to fit (thick neck, arm, and chest and a comparatively thin waistline) I have not had much success with any off the rack shirts getting tailored. Right now I am going to made-to-measure route as I can get a very good fit at a decent price. Later on I will move to actual custom shirts, but that's in the future. Also, I have never used collar stays before so I have no knowledge of them other than what I've read.

For reference, the collar stays I intend on getting are the ones that I believe were recommended on nexxxtlevelup, the metal ones with magnets for inside the shirt. I think these were the ones: http://www.amazon.com/Wurkin-Stiffs-2-5-...llar+stays . They're more expensive than the rest, but I figure buy them once and you're good forever basically.

My question is what are the rules/opinions on collar stays? I will be looking to get everything from short sleeve casual collared shirts to long sleeve dress shirts. I will most likely not be going with a very wide collar, except for maybe some shirts that I don't intend to ever button up fully, as I read on masculinestyle that the wider collars are for very lean faces which I am not graced with.

Does anybody recommend using stays in casual shirts? For the sake of not getting into what is "casual" and what isn't, let's say that by casual I mean short sleeve with collar, a plaid or striped design, or a shirt intended to wear with jeans/khakis/chinos. Probably over-simplified, but whatever.

I will be going with removable stay dress shirts at the very least so if I go dress shirts with removable stays and casual with sewn in stays that's fine with me.

It costs the same to get collar stays sewn in or allow for removable stays so I figure I might as well see what others with more knowledge have to say first.

Collar Stays

I prefer to use removable. If they are seen in when it gets ironed it may iron funny. If the sewn in are cheap and something happens to them ( maybe cracked if plastic or something) then it is a hassle to remove. If they are metal sewn in they might rust depending on what type of metal. Though I have never seen sewn in metal collar stays.

I do put collar stays in casual shirts. Casual doesn't mean sloppy. And it can be classy if you have a girl at your place and she notices a some nice metal collar stays. They don't cost that much but add a little sophistication.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Collar Stays

$40 is pretty expensive for something that will never be seen.

May I suggest these:

http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-product...nValueIds=

Also, I've recently decided to go the made-to-measure/custom route with dress shirts. I just ordered a white shirt from Modern Tailor for $75 shipped. They will let you base the measurements on a shirt that already fits you.

We'll see if its any good.

Collar Stays

Casual doesn't mean sloppy. Good way to put it. I was thinking the same things that just adding stays can add that extra bit of sophistication very easily.

I agree that 40$ is expensive for something so relatively insignificant. I have no idea how much or if the magnets would make a difference, but the idea that they keep the collar exactly where you want it to be at all times seems good in theory. And after reading the first review you can just buy basically the same magnets for much cheaper so it isn't a big deal if you lose them. I'll probably buy metal stays and generic magnets. Seems like a viable option.

And I have had a few made to measure shirts done already (sewn in stays) and I have had success. My first shirt didn't fit perfect, but was an excellent fit. Just got one or two things touched up at the tailor. I attribute it to my fault on the measurements. Based on that I was able to determine where my measurements are supposed to be now and I can get the fit exactly how I want it, no tailoring necessary.

Collar Stays

Don't spend $40 on those things.

Get a plastic ice cream tub and cut the shape of the collar stays out of the lid. That's what I do and it works perfectly for me.

You also get to eat a nice tub of ice cream.

Collar Stays

I use brass ones- the metal has enough weight so it holds the collar down, so a magnet is unnecessary. Don't get a shirt with sewn in ones-when they are ironed or dry cleaned the fabric gets shiny where the stay is and it looks bad.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Collar Stays

I got few plastic ones from my Tailor who does the alterations for me for free, does the job effectively.

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Collar Stays

just get it from EXPRESS. If you don't want to buy it, just take some from displayed shirts [Image: smile.gif]

Collar Stays

I order mine (plastic) from Amazon. Does the job. Shirts feel naked without them.

Collar Stays

Always use collar stays.

I bought some wurkin stiffs from Nordstrom rack for $15. I use them often, it keeps the collars perfect (not letting them flare out).

Brass ones are good, Charles Tyrwhitt shirts come with them (as do some other good quality shirts) so just keep them even after the shirts wear out.

I had access to a laser cutter and cut a bunch of 340 Stainless steel and pillaged a bunch of tiny rare earth magnets from the stock room. Worked like a charm. Its all the Wurkin Stiffs guy did and he is worth a mint.

Collar Stays

I lost all my magnets for the metal stays. They lose easy

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Collar Stays

Quote:Quote:

I lost all my magnets for the metal stays. They lose easy

I have used these for years, and have never lost one. If you do, just go to a carpentry finishing supplier or something similar and pick some more up. They are dirt cheap.

Be the guy on the left, not the guy on the right (unless thats the look you are going for).
[Image: 254341.jpg]

Collar Stays

The look from oceans 11, or more specifically oceans 12 when they are sitting in the airport at the end, is exactly what I was looking for. I figured the magnets would make it easy to maintain that perfect frame anytime a shirt doesn't have a tie.

Collar Stays

I buy the plastic ones from Brooks Brothers, and they have assorted sizes. These days, shorter stays are usually common with spread collar shirts. They are a must for dress shirts.