rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Venture Brothers: The Importance Of Alpha Male Parenting

[Image: venturebros.jpg]

NOTE: Thanks to Hades, who refined my idea for this writeup.

The Venture Brothers is a show on Adult Swim. It is a fairly different kind of show, very interesting but most assuredly off the beaten path. I want to review the four main characters (at least through the first three seasons) and talk about fatherhood, alphas male and their relationship with children/youth.

Overview Of The Show

The show is based around the professional failings of Dr. Rusty Venture and his two sons, Dean & Hank Venture. They have a bodyguard in Brock Samson, who is very much an alpha male.

The show is based around their misadventures, the ineptitude of their enemies and just general lack of competency in the world of the show. Rusty is trying to follow in the footsteps of his father, a superscientist named Dr. Jonas Venture. His father was a hero & was very intelligent, charismatic and competent. A common theme throughout the show is the inability of the characters to change, their incompetence and how Rusty & his family manage to luck out.

The layout of the show clearly reflects cartoons of the 50’s & 60’s. However, understand that the glorious future these cartoons of the past reflected is presented as a false reality in the show. Repeated flashbacks show a world brimming with hope for the future; the present reflects a deeply cynical view. Let’s step through the relevant four characters for this writeup.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgq4bbiXSKZYzwMAzsfiF...N2f_eT_UaG]

Dr. Rusty Venture: A highly insecure man who was gifted his complexes from his father. I first started watching the show before I immersed myself in psychology; after a complete series blitz in the lead-up to the new season, I was struck how narcissistic his father was. His father was the real deal, but as is shown, his father was only concerned with worship from his son. One episode showed his father walking to the kitchen table, completely nude, and young Rusty is shown reacting badly to Jonas’ huge dick. Another episode showed Rusty vibing with a young girl. Their interactions are interrupted when Jonas’ and that girl’s mom fall onto the cloth fort they were hiding in.

This is important, as a picture of a classic codependent develops. He doesn’t have much compassion towards his sons and is primarily concerned with building up his identity as a superscientist. He doesn’t have the skill or intelligence (although he still is smart) of his father, so he struggles mightily in the shadow of his father.

[Image: 250px-Brock.png]

Brock Samson: Quite possibly the most interesting character on the show. He is, by far, the most competent character on the show. He is an excellent, fearless fighter. He is jacked, handsome and has a cool, calm demeanor that occasionally (much more at the outset of the series) explodes into rage. As Hades observed, he is fairly uncomplicated. He seems to be a guy that is well-adjusted (outside his rage issues) and is the defacto patriarch of the family, as Rusty is technically the leader, but Brock often steps in to put them on the right path.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuJ4I3AZvuAor7HESkkMY...SURzlMg1Ow]

Dean Venture: He is very insecure, bookish and fairly well-mannered. While he is much more intelligent and well-read (or, paid more attention to his learning bed) than his brother, he also displays less potential for growth. He truly is some sort of omega, low-level beta. His family’s name helps him a bit and on rare occasions, gets it somewhat right. I can only think of one episode where he sacks up, when he stomps some fool out in front of his crush – and, of course, her interest is piqued.

[Image: Tumblr_lme3jqhurE1qet36no1_500.png]

Hank Venture: He is more rebellious and less intelligent than his brother. He has a level of courage and confidence that often only comes out when he puts on a mask. He is also so much more outgoing than Dean. He is the only of the two to have gotten laid. His relationship with Brock is the most salient point here.

Brock & Hank: The Importance Of The Alpha Male

Let’s talk about Brock & Hank’s relationship. While Dean and Brock do have relationship, Dean seems to want to emulate his own father than Brock. Brock tries to develop to a parental relationship with Dean sometimes, but Dean never really connects with him. Dean’s bookishness and shyness puts him more in line with his father.

However, Hank doesn’t just take a shine to Brock, he clearly idolizes him. Brock senses this and does his best to cultivate a relationship with him. Part of this is Rusty’s (his father’s) lack of affection for him. Rusty clearly has decided Dean is his heir apparent. The other part is Hank has a personality that is more reflected in Brock’s personality.

Brock takes him under his wing and tries to teach him many things. He exhibits a compassionate, fatherly relationship with Hank. When Brock leaves the family’s employ at the outset of season four, Hank grows out his hair like Brock and wears Brock’s coat around, refusing to take it off. There is an episode where Hank is forcibly circumcised (no painkillers) and Brock comes up to him and sincerely asks how he is doing. The shot pans out to Rusty complaining, ignoring Hank’s pain.

This shows how important confident, alpha males are for grooming boys into men. Consider Dean, who seeks to follow in his father’s footsteps. At best, he will be more competent than his father, but he will never have the confidence to truly believe in himself – he might become a narcissist like his grandfather Jonas. Most likely, he will become like his father, a man trapped chasing a dream he will never achieve. His life will be marred by misstep after misstep, but nothing bad enough to destroy himself – just enough to keep him wallowing in depressing mediocrity.

Brock does his best to try to save Hank from becoming a self-absorbed loser like his father. Do note Brock does have truly like Rusty; he just doesn’t want Rusty’s sons from becoming like him. The lesson here is this sort of parenting is required from the start. The show starts with both Dean & Hank as teenagers. However, despite the potential Hank displays, it seems he probably won’t make it.

Hank really is a tragic character. He is hamstrung by a terrible childhood, while displaying levels of charisma and competence. Trapped in a world of incompetence and narcissism, with only islands of competence and real confidence, he has far more potential to fail than succeed.

The Utmost Importance Of Fatherhood

[Image: 6775126.jpg]

The problem with poor fatherhood could spawn multiple books if not a lifetime of research. Let me break it down as quick as I can.

In order to grow into confident, healthy men, boys need solid, real-life role models. Terrell Owens famously remarked he "was no role model." He was both right and wrong. Boys will idolize successful males in the media, even if they have strong male figures at home. Of course, many boys don't have that, so that makes figures like T.O. too relevant.

In a perfect world, T.O. wouldn't need to be a great role model if the great majority of boys had good role models at home. The most obvious example is the black community - when was the last time you heard a white nationalist control for fatherhood in the black community?

Fathers are not just important, they are critical. I recall a study in which they followed if a child was a regular church member once they left the home. Guess which parent mattered much more? The father - his regular attendance was the primary determinant whether a child grew into an regular attendee as an adult.

My examples here are just to highlight how important fathers are. While many girls are terribly hurt by not having father who believe in & support them, boys are hurt more. Unable to have a person to model themselves after, they struggle - either relying on older boys (never good) or their mother. I have long thought the stereotypical interest in shoes by black males was reflective of their identification with their mother/women.

Imagine if you are born to a single mother - the next authority figures you meet are still women - school teachers! The next authority figures you most likely meet from your ever-loving government are police. That doesn't breed a positive relationships, as every male needs to rebel against male authority figures. If you have a father, then you have your legally sanctioned one.

If you don't, what will you target? Older male peers? Police? Male teachers? None are positive. Males born to single mothers, especially in poverty, aren't just at risk - they most likely doomed to a life of nothing but sorrow and bullshit.

In sum, boys needs fathers. Period. If we want to live in a stable, peaceful society we need fathers to be invested in their sons. More specifically, we need monogamy. Isn't it ironic you see "Free Love" & "Peace" signs at hippy get-togethers?

To me, it is beyond sad. Our society is trapped between desperately wanting fathers to invest in their children and desperately wanting to pretend fathers aren't necessary - we exist in an absolutely terrifying chasm of ignorance and denial.

You know, the past is in the past. Thank God, it doesn't last forever.

The problem is that past is our reality.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Just bumping this because I intend on taking some of this piece & integrating into a piece about the insufficiency of gay parenting for RoK. If you have any feedback, I would appreciate it.

why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

This thread needs a Brock Samson montage so people feel what you're talking about.

When I get back to the pad, I will post some clips from Adult Swim that highlight Brock

I like this show.. I think we should have a thread on the guy who's car you named yourself after here and also I've been using the guy in the pools quotes while running game for years.

Venture Brothers is one of the most brilliant shows on television. The new season debuted last week after a nearly 3 year absence, woot.

If you follow Doc Hammer, and Christopher McCulloch/Jackson Publick, they have stated that the show's theme is failure, repeated through Rusty's endless cycle of failure, as well as his sons who were resurrected as clones time after repeat deaths in the first few seasons (for those who haven't seen the show).

And, yes, Brock Samson (voiced by Patrick Warbuton) is perhaps the ultimate alpha male: Physically huge and powerful, a natural leader, aloof attitude, a killing machine, fucks like a monster, alluded to have a huge dick, etc. Every chick I know who watches the show, even the "oh so classy" ones who drink Cosmotinis, admit that they'd drop their panties in a second for Brock if he was real.

"Make a little music everyday 'til you die"

Voice teacher here. If you ever need help with singing, speech and diction, accent improvement/reduction, I'm your man.

@El Mech: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-24525.html - overview of show via the red-pill. Although, you are right a thread just on Carl & Shake would be good.

@SHP: That is a nice overview, but more focused on season 1. His character evolved past that blind rage.

I'm really happy to hear there is a 3rd season, I love Brock's character.

You forgot to mention the show is truly funny if you like high brow humor. A friend of mine that isn't the brightest guy hates the show.

Great analysis

Quote: (06-12-2013 07:31 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

I'm really happy to hear there is a 3rd season, I love Brock's character.

You forgot to mention the show is truly funny if you like high brow humor. A friend of mine that isn't the brightest guy hates the show.

Great analysis

Actually, the current season is season 5. Apparently, there will be one more after this, then the show will be over.

"Make a little music everyday 'til you die"

Voice teacher here. If you ever need help with singing, speech and diction, accent improvement/reduction, I'm your man.

Great analysis dude. You know what series you should do next? Archer.

There's shit loads of red and blue pill symbols within the characters.

Nope.

First new episode since July 2013. Airing this next Monday.

Quote: (06-11-2013 11:16 AM)2Wycked Wrote:  

Just bumping this because I intend on taking some of this piece & integrating into a piece about the insufficiency of gay parenting for RoK. If you have any feedback, I would appreciate it.

A yter named RockingMrE has information on how gay parenting is not all it is cracked up to be. As far as I know most of it is stuff he posts on his facebook.
If you explained who you were and why you wanted the info, he would might help you out personally.

Quote: (06-11-2013 07:58 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I like this show.. I think we should have a thread on the guy who's car you named yourself after here and also I've been using the guy in the pools quotes while running game for years.

Master shake spits some solid game. I've used it too.

Karl Marx's father turned his back on their Jewish faith to become a Lutheran because it "was better for business". Marx felt betrayed in all that he knew and lost respect for his father. He lost his faith after watching his own flesh and blood become a sell out. He then adopted atheism and proceeded to change the world for the worse.

Fastforward today we're in Marxist dominated world all because of a traumatic event in the early life of Marx. If his father kept his integrity and his convictions, it's possible the Manifesto never would have been written, and the world a better place.

If you're going to be a father, be damn sure you know who you are, and take responsibility for leading your family and setting a good example your wife and kids to follow.

Otherwise you may end up spawning satan.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Quote: (06-11-2013 03:03 AM)2Wycked Wrote:  

Hank Venture: He is the only of the two to have gotten laid.

Spoilers:

"Believe in your FLYNESS ...
... conquer your shyness"
- Kanye Omari West

Anyone else watching the special?

- Kanye Omari West

Just finished watching it. Lots of information to digest - will have to watch the rerun in a couple hours.

Seems like they are wrapping up a lot of loose ends in the show. Odds are, the show will wrap up this summer or next.

My jaw has yet to return. It passed through the floor and is headed towards the center of the earth. I am fucking shocked to my core. I've been a day one fan and this special felt like my soul was being stretched and crushed simultaneously.

- Kanye Omari West

Excellent material for a thread and great post.

However... you don't mention Dr Venture SENIOR. Thadeus Venture was a Super-Alpha, as seen through the many flashbacks and recaps; however his son Rusty ended up a burned-out, desperately unhappy wreck. This is the genius behind the Venture Bros: nothing is ever simple and straightforward; these characters have incredibly complex relationships to each other. I'd say the characterization is Dickensian in quality!

Rusty ended up bitter and unhappy because he was a shy, introverted boy and his father was a super-alpha who couldn't relate to him and made him feel small all the time. Who would have been the perfect father for Rusty? I would say someone like the gay monk or Dr Orpheus.

Hank sees Brock as an inspiration because he fits Hank's type. Hank is more outgoing, confident and physical. Dean is bland and shy and nervous, yet Rusty is a terrible father to him. Why? Because Rusty is wrapped up in his own narrative, and forces choices on him as they were forced on him.

I would agree. The Meta message behind The Venture Bros is: bad parenting sucks. Excellent deduction.

My dad is all things Alpha. His 1st lesson of being a man was:

"Grown men don't fucking watch cartoons. Now hand me that trowl and mix some more mortar."

I was 13. He learned alpha parenting from his father, who was a WW2 vet. I'm appreciative that I was able to learn from him and not from a television. The new generations are in for a a hard life. I truly feel for them.

If you wanted to kill the atmosphere at this party, you just did it.

Quote: (01-21-2015 07:55 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

My dad is all things Alpha. His 1st lesson of being a man was:

"Grown men don't fucking watch cartoons. Now hand me that trowl and mix some more mortar."

I was 13. He learned alpha parenting from his father, who was a WW2 vet. I'm appreciative that I was able to learn from him and not from a television. The new generations are in for a a hard life. I truly feel for them.

Excellent post.

Question:

When did your father hand you a brick and teach you how to repay somebody?

Wait, I forgot. Grown men don't watch cartoons.

I always pay my debt. Do I owe you money?

I have no idea what is happening here.