rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best country to 'settle down'

Hey guys,

Curious as to your opinion of the best country/city for laying some roots. I'm not looking to completely 'settle down' but more have a place where I spend 6-8 months a year, start making longer-term connects, and eventually finding a woman worthy of birthing my children.

Considerations:
- My work is completely handled online but I'll be traveling quite a bit (airports nearby)
- I'm not as 'State-hater' as a lot of guys on the forum seem to be. I love San Francisco for example.
- I have a feeling Brazil (Rio) might be what I'm looking for (beautiful women, active culture, country on the rise...).

Any thoughts? What are your favorite countries/cities around the world that you could see yourself spending significant time living/working in?

Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Unless you speak good Portuguese and are happy living in the most expensive country in south or central america then go for it

Otherwise I would give Brazil a swerve

Such a subjective topic.

I like skinny blondes with petite faces/bodies and light-colored eyes who speak fluent English but are NOT from the Anglosphere. Am I going to be happy in Salvador, Bahia?

My friend is obsessed with mulatas with bubble shaped bundas. Is he going to be happy in Iceland?

I like being a big fish in a small pond where I can live in style and afford anything my little pond has to offer whenever the mood strikes me. Am I going to be happy in New York City or London?

You have to truly know the things that matter to you in order to geographically point-point your ideal location(s).

Things to consider include:

1. Your income
2. Your tastebuds (cuisine-wise)
3. Your taste in women
4. Your hobbies
5. Your tolerance for weather conditions
6. Your language ability
7. Your age
8. Your race/ethnicity
9. Your ability to network with the locals outside of the bars/club hunting
10. And finally, the way your personality and essence fits with the vibe of a given city. This is a fuzzy concept but probably as important as #1-9 in and of itself

Right on, I know it's a pretty subjective topic...but I wanted to get people's opinions on what cities, if any, they could see themselves spending a significant portion of their days. Of course, I'll have to visit the place first and check it out for myself. But knowing upfront some other's ideal cities will help me narrow my search and give me goals and travel destinations for the next year or two.

I see things pretty similar to most guys on this forum, so I figured this would be a good group to poll on the topic.

I have been on a similar quest recently. I live in Canada. I don't hate it, but I feel like I need a change from the N American lifestyle. Besides, I can't stand the winters here.

You mention Brazil, do you know what the requirements are for Brazil residency? I think you have to show something like $50,000 which you deposit with the Brazil government and which you are supposed to use towards starting a business. This is if you want to stay there year around. I don't think they have a visa where you can just live there even if you are not working or engaged in any business.

Personally, I have an affinity for Europe. Again, there are countries where you can get residency by showing funds. I talked to an immigration lawyer in Spain when I was there. You need to show 60,000 Euros in a bank account. It is for starting a business, but nobody checks. After living in Spain for 5 years you get residency to live anywhere in Europe.

One country that has popped up on my radar recently is Turkey. I haven't been there yet, but it is appealing for a number of reasons.

- Mild climate year round and access to beaches.
- Historic, vibrant culture.
- Full of E European, Russian, Ukrainian etc. girls during the summer months coming down to party.
- Easy access to major European cities with cheap flights.
- Low cost of living. You can live well for a 1000 Euros.
- One year residence visa easy to obtain as long as you are not working. Easily renewable.

I am also looking at some Caribbean islands, but I think the problem with those is that it is very easy to become isolated and get bored. Also, many Americans and Canadians have moved down to Baja Mexico and have good things to say about it, so that is another option.

But, I am going to make a trip over to Turkey and check it out for myself.

Do you make enough money to be able to make a life in a first world city/country? Or do you need to take advantage of an income arbitrage situation, and therefore target lower cost countries? This factor will either include or eliminate a lot of options.

A lot of people here skip first world options simply because they can live better quality lives in the second/third world due to currency value differences. But the first world can also offer a lot if you can afford to take advantage of what it has to offer (NYC, San Fran, Hawaii, Western Europe, Japan, Australia).

Also, visa issues will be a huge consideration

I haven't been to all of these places, but my short list to check out further or to evaluate for various reasons:

Okinawa, Japan
Manilla, Phillipines/Cebu/etc..
Honolulu, Hawaii
Bangkok, Thailand
Vientiane, Laos
Porto Alegre, Brazil
Bogota, Colombia
Panjachel/Antigua, Guatamala
Instanbul, Turkey / Aegean Coast
Greek Islands
Borneo/Bali, Indonesia
Queensland, Australia

Could be a good idea rise children not in a 6 Million people town....

This thread is senseless without more information or even some factors that are more or less important.

I´m searching the same and the importest factors for me were...

Language (i don´t like every language)
Visa Conditions (hard to live in Australia for example)
weather
chics
Religion
Costs of Living
Taxes and conditions for that
good internetconnections

If you plan finding a good wife then it really depends on your taste for that. I mean, do you want a chick that is very loyal, even if you make lots of bad things, then you are fine in turkey or perhaps even in Colombia. Do you search for a wife with second income who has lots of selfesteem and is more independent, than you could be well in northeuropean...

Do you want that your children go to an englishspeaking school? If yes, most smaller cities are not possible.

Now i am since 2 month in medellin and could imagine to live here.
But i would never recommend it to a person i know nothing about.

Quote: (08-03-2010 10:39 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

A lot of people here skip first world options simply because they can live better quality lives in the second/third world due to currency value differences.

Unless you are making $250,000 a year, it will always be the case. The other factor to consider at that point is the implications for paying your taxes. Most developed countries tax you very heavily. A place like Singapore with first world amenities but a low flat tax rate or Dubai with no income tax begin to look more appealing. Of course, if you are an American citizen this is less relevant as you have to file US taxes regardless of where you live.

One more point to make which may be important to some is the health implications of living closer to the Equator. Due to the constant year round sunshine, you are getting an adequate supply of Vitamin D. The low levels of Vitamin D in those living in the Northern Hemisphere is becoming a mature health issue. Sufficient Vitamin D is required to protect against a host of cancers like prostate and colon cancer for example. Studies in the US show higher rates of these cancers in people that live in the Northeast as compared to Southern states.

Quote: (08-03-2010 10:39 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Do you make enough money to be able to make a life in a first world city/country? Or do you need to take advantage of an income arbitrage situation, and therefore target lower cost countries? This factor will either include or eliminate a lot of options.

A lot of people here skip first world options simply because they can live better quality lives in the second/third world due to currency value differences. But the first world can also offer a lot if you can afford to take advantage of what it has to offer (NYC, San Fran, Hawaii, Western Europe, Japan, Australia).

Also, visa issues will be a huge consideration

I haven't been to all of these places, but my short list to check out further or to evaluate for various reasons:

Okinawa, Japan
Manilla, Phillipines/Cebu/etc..
Honolulu, Hawaii
Bangkok, Thailand
Vientiane, Laos
Porto Alegre, Brazil
Bogota, Colombia
Panjachel/Antigua, Guatamala
Instanbul, Turkey / Aegean Coast
Greek Islands
Borneo/Bali, Indonesia
Queensland, Australia

I can comment on Porto Alegre since I lived there for a while seeing if it met my requirements for long-term residence.

On paper, it seemed to. Supposedly beautiful girls. Cheaper cost of living. Safer. Cooler weather. Good gaucho food (BBQ meat & churrasco). Hub of an economically dynamic region (Mercosul). Within easy striking distance of gaucho beaches and Santa Catarina (Florianopolis) + Parana (Curitiba and the interior).

But I couldn't get into it. I found a lot of the gauchos to be total assholes (esp. the younger guys). The women, just because they had some German blood in them, acted like they were God's gift to Brazil. And the city didn't really have any excitement that I could feel. The whores were the hottest in all of Brazil though (try Carmen or Gruta Azul).

In the end, I preferred Parana (but not Curitiba).

Its fairly easy to avoid US taxes abroad, and at the same time avoid local taxes. But it depends what you do for income. The first 90k of income is exempt from taxation under US law no matter what.

If you work in country, then you will be subject to local tax on any money made in that country. If there is a tax treaty, any US taxes on money over the 90k amount should be mitigated. Local taxes in Asia tend to be quite low. Not sure about South America. In Europe, they are high and so not receiving income from within the country would be advantageous.

If you are making money online, simply set up a foreign company in a jurisdiction outside of where you will be living. You can even set up a US company. Pay yourself as an employee, or even as an owner, but expense everything. After all, you are living abroad on business assumably. Most guys here aren't making over 90k, at home or abroad, and therefore the US tax issue is moot when abroad. However, after expenses, most will pay little tax anyway. With a few heavily bureaucratic and organized exceptions, the foreign country of residence isn't likely to audit you as an employee of a foreign company if you are on a business visa, or audit you if you are on a tourist or a retirement visa.

I could live reasonably well on 90k almost anywhere, especially if I was able to avoid local tax. If your life is dependent on this amount or more, and you are giving up freedom as a result, then either you have too much debt or need to re-evaluate priorities.

Quote: (08-03-2010 12:16 PM)kindredspirit Wrote:  

In the end, I preferred Parana (but not Curitiba).

I agree that on paper P.A. looks great. Its one of my top choices to check out.
You preferred Parana to the rest of Brazil or to the choices in the south?
Also, anywhere in Parana that you enjoyed in-particular?

I preferred the interior of Parana to the rest of Brazil but only because 1. I was very popular with the girls (more so than any other region in Brazil) 2. I was relatively well-off in the interior cities of Parana but certainly not rich in places like Sao Paulo or Porto Alegre 3. the girls had the German blood mixture but also had the Northern spirit (more fun, friendlier, easier) in the interior of Parana 4. there was amazing, cheap Japanese food in the interior of Parana as an alternative to Brazilian cuisine 5. the waterfalls and nearby countryside were pleasant 6. the weather was mild and pleasant

Least favorite areas: Far north (Belem, Manaus); Bahia; followed by the Nordeste (yes, there are beaches, but that gets old after about 6 months).

Quote: (08-03-2010 12:49 PM)kindredspirit Wrote:  

I preferred the interior of Parana to the rest of Brazil but only because 1. I was very popular with the girls (more so than any other region in Brazil) 2. I was relatively well-off in the interior cities of Parana but certainly not rich in places like Sao Paulo or Porto Alegre 3. the girls had the German blood mixture but also had the Northern spirit (more fun, friendlier, easier) in the interior of Parana 4. there was amazing, cheap Japanese food in the interior of Parana as an alternative to Brazilian cuisine 5. the waterfalls and nearby countryside were pleasant 6. the weather was mild and pleasant

Least favorite areas: Far north (Belem, Manaus); Bahia; followed by the Nordeste (yes, there are beaches, but that gets old after about 6 months).

Thanks for the breakdown. I definitely feel what your saying in how you evaluate things. I think our priorities are probably similar. I agree that the beach gets old quickly, and it isn't something on which to base a long term stay. I love girls with that german blood and so thats important to me as well. Also, its almost always better to live in a less popular place, all other things being equal or better. The money just goes further.

I want to add one more city to my list, that being Valparaiso, Chile.

I'm adding it because

1. Its in the only region with a Mediterranean climate in the whole of South America, and really there aren't many climates like that in the world. Its the climate of Southern and central coastal California. You can wikipedia "mediterranean climate" for a map of everywhere in the world with this rare climate.

2. Chile is considered the least shady country to live in in terms of business commerce, and government in South America.

3. The city looks interesting.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I could have rephrased this thread as: If YOU could live in any city YOU wanted...where would YOU live?

But I'll give you a quick breakdown of my situation/ideals/desires:

1. Income
Varies month to month. I lived (and saved) through central and south America on ~2k a month last year with a book I wrote and affiliate marketing. But recently, I started a business that's already setting itself up to be huge. I'm a hustler in the sense that if I have to make a certain amount of money to live somewhere...I'll come up with the money. Most of the time I need that boost to trigger me into action.
2. Visa reqs
If there's somewhere I want to be, I'll get there. It might be an administrative hassle but I'll make it work even if it takes making a ridiculous sum of money.
3. Tastebuds (cuisine-wise)
Meat, eggs, veggies.
4. Taste in women
Long-term woman reqs: Takes care of herself, exercises and has an ass that's visible. A head on her shoulders and some ambition. My ideal 'looks' wise are Argentines and Brazilians. But I like darker skinned white girls as well.
5. Hobbies
Active. I need a gym and I love cycling. I like a good music scene too.
6. Your tolerance for weather conditions
I'm a southern CA boy so I like my sunshine. Beaches nearby are great. But I've also done well in areas like SF. I've never lived through a snowy winter...
7. Your language ability
A romantic language is preferred. My Spanish skills are pretty solid (I had a few Spanish only speaking friends in SA). I take languages as a massively fun challenge though.
8. Your age
I'm almost 26...young, yes. But I like the idea of planting a couple roots and finding the city that I revisit regularly
9. Your race/ethnicity
USAsian / White
10. Your ability to network with the locals outside of the bars/club hunting
Solid.
11. Vibe of people: I'm very American in the sense that I have ambitions and am a capitalist at heart. I like people who are hustling. I can only sit on a beach in Mexico for so long. But I also like slowing down part of the year (that's when I travel somewhere and chill out).

If you’re considering staying a long time in Brasil, I would advise you against staying in Rio for the following reasons:
-Expensive
-Not as safe as other capitals within Brasil.
-Cariocas are very flakey and fake in the sense that while they may be overly friendly and outgoing, it’s very difficult to make a solid real friendship there. In other parts of Brasil, people may appear a little colder but when they open up to you, you’ve got a friend for life on whom you can fully count when you need it. The same may not be said about Cariocas in general. Of course, there are exceptions but it’s not the rule.
-It’s not that easy to get great girls in Rio as it’s filled with tourists specially the sex tourists, so unless you speak the lingo fluently and have local contacts to introduce you to them, you won’t get a shot at the top shelf girls or the filet mignon as they say in Brasil. Outside of Rio/SP, as a young foreigner who speaks the lingo, you’d clean it there.
Don’t get me wrong, Rio is heaps of fun, arguably one of the funnest places on earth but I couldn’t stand it spending more than a week at most 2 weeks there. Rio is better done and enjoyed for a weekend or a week at most of heavy partying.
Consider mid sized cities in Brasil where you’ll have by far the better experience. For example, Belo Horizonte is a prime example of good life, no where near as dangerous as Rio and where people are not fake. Mineiros are some of the most loyal friends you can make. And mineiras are considered to be the best long term girlfriend/wife material in all of Brasil as they are conservative with good values yet very feminine, sexy and sensual. Plus, BH is not that far from the beach, it’s only 1 hour by plan to the beaches of Rio and the even better and cleaner beaches of Buzios, Angra dos Reis, Ilha Grande or the heavenly beaches of Paraty.
If you want something on the beach, then consider Joao Pessoa as it’s been quietely building up the reputation as the best beach town to live in all of Brasil among brasileiros and for a reason, there’s a quite peacefulness that you don’t easily find in other cities in brasil. Other great options/alternatives IMO are Goiania, a nice little town, a little bit in the interior, in the “country” territory, but babeland from what I keep on hearing from my Brazuca friends in Brasil. Cuiaba is another great clean, safe city with a good quality of life however, it gets hot like crazy, think Texas heat most of the year. Brasilia is an option as well, but a car there is a must. I’ve written about these places in more details in other threads, so do a quick search and you should find them. Or just pick any 2nd sized city in the interior of any state and you’d have a blast at a half or a third of the cost of Rio/SP.

Hope this helps.

Btw, how’s your Portuguese? Needless to say in those interior cities, Portuguese is a must there.

Playa del Carmen, MX

-Safe
-Lots of people from everywhere, americans, canadians, european
-Little town with lot of food from everywhere
-Good weather
-45minutes Cancun Airport
-Girls from everywhere all year round

http://www.google.com.mx/images?q=playa+...40&bih=797

I prefer Playa to Baja anytime.

I would put in a vote for Barcelona as well. Yes, it has it's problems with crime and dirt like any big city, but it's probably the most cosmopolitan city in Spain with expats from all over Europe and even N America.
It ticks most of the boxes of culture, beach, food, party scene, mild weather etc.

Quote: (08-03-2010 01:40 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

I want to add one more city to my list, that being Valparaiso, Chile.

I'm adding it because

1. Its in the only region with a Mediterranean climate in the whole of South America, and really there aren't many climates like that in the world. Its the climate of Southern and central coastal California. You can wikipedia "mediterranean climate" for a map of everywhere in the world with this rare climate.

2. Chile is considered the least shady country to live in in terms of business commerce, and government in South America.

3. The city looks interesting.

I think Vina del Mar right next to Valparaiso is the nicer of the two. Valpo is cool and quaint, but has a bit of sketchiness to it. A hostel mate in Santiago told me he was robbed with a gun there in broad daylight. Though that might have been an isolated incident. Vina however felt more upscale and cleaner with nicer beaches and is just a short drive from Valpo anyhow.

Quote: (08-04-2010 02:31 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

If you’re considering staying a long time in Brasil, I would advise you against staying in Rio for the following reasons:
-Expensive
-Not as safe as other capitals within Brasil.
-Cariocas are very flakey and fake in the sense that while they may be overly friendly and outgoing, it’s very difficult to make a solid real friendship there. In other parts of Brasil, people may appear a little colder but when they open up to you, you’ve got a friend for life on whom you can fully count when you need it. The same may not be said about Cariocas in general. Of course, there are exceptions but it’s not the rule.
-It’s not that easy to get great girls in Rio as it’s filled with tourists specially the sex tourists, so unless you speak the lingo fluently and have local contacts to introduce you to them, you won’t get a shot at the top shelf girls or the filet mignon as they say in Brasil. Outside of Rio/SP, as a young foreigner who speaks the lingo, you’d clean it there.
Don’t get me wrong, Rio is heaps of fun, arguably one of the funnest places on earth but I couldn’t stand it spending more than a week at most 2 weeks there. Rio is better done and enjoyed for a weekend or a week at most of heavy partying.
Consider mid sized cities in Brasil where you’ll have by far the better experience. For example, Belo Horizonte is a prime example of good life, no where near as dangerous as Rio and where people are not fake. Mineiros are some of the most loyal friends you can make. And mineiras are considered to be the best long term girlfriend/wife material in all of Brasil as they are conservative with good values yet very feminine, sexy and sensual. Plus, BH is not that far from the beach, it’s only 1 hour by plan to the beaches of Rio and the even better and cleaner beaches of Buzios, Angra dos Reis, Ilha Grande or the heavenly beaches of Paraty.
If you want something on the beach, then consider Joao Pessoa as it’s been quietely building up the reputation as the best beach town to live in all of Brasil among brasileiros and for a reason, there’s a quite peacefulness that you don’t easily find in other cities in brasil. Other great options/alternatives IMO are Goiania, a nice little town, a little bit in the interior, in the “country” territory, but babeland from what I keep on hearing from my Brazuca friends in Brasil. Cuiaba is another great clean, safe city with a good quality of life however, it gets hot like crazy, think Texas heat most of the year. Brasilia is an option as well, but a car there is a must. I’ve written about these places in more details in other threads, so do a quick search and you should find them. Or just pick any 2nd sized city in the interior of any state and you’d have a blast at a half or a third of the cost of Rio/SP.

Hope this helps.

Btw, how’s your Portuguese? Needless to say in those interior cities, Portuguese is a must there.

Man, you're making Minas sound incredible. I need to find me a nice little Brasileira and hunker down in a place like that. One day I probably will retire in Brasil. I don't think I'd want to go now though. My parents are getting up in age and I already feel a bit guilty about living so far from them now. I could really see Brasil in my future though and I'd love to have a Brazilian wife some day. I also think the future of the country looks good and their economy will expand and lift many out of poverty which will help with the serious crime problem, the main drawback of me wanting to live there.

As an aside, I'm so glad Brazil (and SE Asia and the Philippines) gets the attention that it does from guys from all over the world. Leaves Eastern Europe more of a deserted playground for the likes of guys like myself. :-)

Quote: (08-05-2010 03:07 AM)kindredspirit Wrote:  

As an aside, I'm so glad Brazil (and SE Asia and the Philippines) gets the attention that it does from guys from all over the world. Leaves Eastern Europe more of a deserted playground for the likes of guys like myself. :-)

true
if you go to rio de janeiro, its full of guys with blue eyes and blond hair trying to find a brazilian chick.

But, would you want to LIVE in Eastern Europe? I wouldn't. I love E Euro chicks, that is why I was looking at Turkey as an option.

Quote: (08-05-2010 09:20 AM)ManAbout Wrote:  

But, would you want to LIVE in Eastern Europe? I wouldn't. I love E Euro chicks, that is why I was looking at Turkey as an option.

4 years and counting for me, personally. But I have more than one home so I'm not in EE all the time.