rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Calling all teachers! Calling all teachers!

I've been substitute teaching for the past few months in Tampa.

The job, though challenging at times, is not bad. I feel that being a teacher may be my "pay the bills" job until lighting strikes and I can live off my writing full time.

The perks are there:

-relatively short work day
-very short work year (summers off, most major holidays, etc).
-terrific benefits,
-lifetime job security
-pay that has risen so that, in many metropolitan areas, the average teacher salary is now more than $60,000.
-flexibility to work wherever you want to work (if one is certified in Math or Special Education).

But there are some drawbacks though, which is why 1/3 of all new teachers leave the profession within five years:

-most new jobs are in low income areas (rough schools) which can be a challenge, especially if the school is reluctant to pull the trigger on suspensions.
-merit based pay (new teachers in Florida have a percentage of their pay tied to how well the students perform in class, which sucks since there are many factors to student success a teacher can't control).
-All students, from the gifted to the retarded, are in the same class and a teacher has to teach at all of the students levels. That is an insane challenge for even the most passionate teacher.

I am considering going full time as a teacher. I base my decision on my available options in terms of employment. I've mentioned thinking about being a journalist before. Having networked in the journalism industry, most journalists I've met are trying to get out of the profession (insane work hours, toxic environment, job security is not there since the industry is a sinking ship, low pay, etc).

I thought about being an academic professor as well (English), but I don't see the point of spending five years educating myself to land a job that would pay the same as a secondary school teacher. Also, I would have to go where the jobs are (Fairbanks, Alaska anyone?) assuming I even have a job offer (25% of newly minted PHD's are teaching part time. one article listed 5000 PHD's are custodians http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002140053).

I do feel that I may ultimately do a PHD if my self employed writing ship doesn't set sail by the time I am 40. I am an intellectual so the job description fits me perfectly, and working on a college campus is amazing, great work environment. Maybe my Plan B or C I guess (I'd assume I'd have to land in the ivy leagues to stand a chance at tenured track employment in a decent area).

I think special education would be a good niche. The classroom sizes are smaller, you have an opportunity to build a stronger relationship with your students (I love working with kids/teenagers), and the job market for special needs is super strong. The paper work is a bit high but no more than what a regular teacher would do grading papers.

Anyway, thoughts for the morning. Interested in opinions.

Quote: (05-13-2013 05:34 AM)Captain Ahab Wrote:  

Unless you make enough at another job so you are rolling in dough, there is no other way to get summers off-- that's great. Everyone is sleepwalking through life with two weeks a year vacation, and that's barely living. I was a State worker, but not a teacher and may be going back to boost my pension. I figured it out and my pension per month goes up about 0.75 cents per each day I work.

I'm in California and the pensions here are relatively good-- they've cut them a lot, but I would look at what your state offers in the way of pensions. Of course, everyone will get old but you, but just in case, you want to know how much will they pay you-- and when. And check out the health of their pension funding. Us fat cats in California have 200 billion with a "B" cash in our pension fund and nothing gives me a more smug feeling than sour grapes mofos howling about "excessive pensions" and how it's all going to come crashing down-- because they're not getting any. They were too smart to work a boring job with the State.

Here Jan 1 they raised the retirement age from 55 to 60 -- on that day! ( From prior legislation.)

It's a huge, huge difference -- 5 years in the retirement age. That's the best 5 years you'll have after 55-- wasted at work. But usually these things are "grandfathered" to prevent current employees from blocking the change. So my retirement age is 55 because I was hired before the cutoff date.

Gubmint work is one place the little guy can get a decent but boring life where you may not get screwed in the end. But watch out for cities, they are weaker financially, some in California are going under and cutting pensions. The Federal government is the strongest, because they can literally print money.

I teach part-time at undergraduate level at university. Never taught school kids but I'm assuming the challenges are similar.

When you start, a significant amount of what should be your off-time ends up being consumed in lesson planning and marking assignments. Don't look at that supposedly short workday/work year because you will sometimes be working longer hours than office drones just to keep up with the work load and deadlines. It will probably be difficult at first to get your writing done on the side, but not impossible.

Once your lessons are properly set-up, it's easier because you just reuse the lessons; but by then you are a 'senior,' and you may get sucked into admin duties, which may consume just as much time. This is typically what happens at university level, I imagine the same will happen in any bureaucracy.

If you're ambitious and a good teacher, you can leverage it. The best South African teachers in the state school system either end up teaching at posh private schools or immigrate to post international schools worldwide; or they even end up in any industry that requires public speaking (I've met a former teacher who became a pharmaceutical rep).

I believe maths and English teachers are in demand worldwide.

I teach. I'm on a prep now, but I'll have more on this later.

For now, it's a decision I do not regret making. Find me another job where you get a full salary, excellent benefits and thirteen weeks of vacation per year?

Quote: (05-13-2013 08:59 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

When you start, a significant amount of what should be your off-time ends up being consumed in lesson planning and marking assignments. Don't look at that supposedly short workday/work year because you will sometimes be working longer hours than office drones just to keep up with the work load and deadlines.

This.

As an engineer moving into the education industry (already taught at a university abroad for 2 semesters) it is an amazing job. Yes, it took me about 5 hrs cumulatively to develop a PPT/daily lesson, but if you're only teaching 2-3 courses it's not bad at all. Lifestyle is amazing (very dynamic) plus if you've learned game, you're probably better than 95% of the teachers on board.

I highly recommend teaching at universities abroad, especially places that dickride white people (Asia)

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

I just read a cool post about being a teacher in an international school abroad:
http://aroundtheworldin80jobs.com/teachi...ol-abroad/

This is NOT Teaching English to foreign kids btw, but being a qualified teacher in an international school abroad, teaching the same western curriculum as back home, in English.

It's basically teaching your subject to western kids who are the children of well-off expats, diplomats, etc.

If I were to teach, I think international school would be absolutely amazing. You get similar pay to back home, you teach a western curriculum, the kids are fairly smart/confident/worldly (expat and diplomat kids), you get to live in an exotic place, and you get to take advantage of earning USD/GBP/Euro in a cheaper place. And presumably you get the same holidays the kids do, which means decent chunks of time for adventuring.

Quote: (05-13-2013 10:55 AM)Cyclone Wrote:  

When you start, a significant amount of what should be your off-time ends up being consumed in lesson planning and marking assignments. Don't look at that supposedly short workday/work year because you will sometimes be working longer hours than office drones just to keep up with the work load and deadlines.

This.

As an engineer moving into the education industry (already taught at a university abroad for 2 semesters) it is an amazing job.

I highly recommend teaching at universities abroad, especially places that dickride white people (Asia)

Guys! Would love to hear about teaching at universities abroad. What's the way in to this? Are we talking masters degree + teaching qualification, and then teaching your subject in English to fluent foreign students? Or am I off the mark?

Quote: (05-13-2013 06:01 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Unless you make enough at another job so you are rolling in dough, there is no other way to get summers off-- that's great. Everyone is sleepwalking through life with two weeks a year vacation, and that's barely living. I was a State worker, but not a teacher and may be going back to boost my pension. I figured it out and my pension per month goes up about 0.75 cents per each day I work.

I'm in California and the pensions here are relatively good-- they've cut them a lot, but I would look at what your state offers in the way of pensions. Of course, everyone will get old but you, but just in case, you want to know how much will they pay you-- and when. And check out the health of their pension funding. Us fat cats in California have 200 billion with a "B" cash in our pension fund and nothing gives me a more smug feeling than sour grapes mofos howling about "excessive pensions" and how it's all going to come crashing down-- because they're not getting any. They were too smart to work a boring job with the State.

Here Jan 1 they raised the retirement age from 55 to 60 -- on that day! ( From prior legislation.)

It's a huge, huge difference -- 5 years in the retirement age. That's the best 5 years you'll have after 55-- wasted at work. But usually these things are "grandfathered" to prevent current employees from blocking the change. So my retirement age is 55 because I was hired before the cutoff date.

Gubmint work is one place the little guy can get a decent but boring life where you may not get screwed in the end. But watch out for cities, they are weaker financially, some in California are going under and cutting pensions. The Federal government is the strongest, because they can literally print money.

I am not sure if Florida has a pension plan. I will have to look at up.

I will never work for the private sector long term in any capacity which leaves military, government, or self-employed.

My politics won't allow for military, self employed is what I ultimately want but it may take a while before I strike oil, so I guess that leaves government with the public school system of Broward County (most likely) my bank roller.

I am not sure if they have pensions for teachers here. I will have to look that up.

Glad that you an still earn on your pension if you decide to come out of retirement though.

I teach part-time at undergraduate level at university. Never taught school kids but I'm assuming the challenges are similar.

When you start, a significant amount of what should be your off-time ends up being consumed in lesson planning and marking assignments. Don't look at that supposedly short workday/work year because you will sometimes be working longer hours than office drones just to keep up with the work load and deadlines. It will probably be difficult at first to get your writing done on the side, but not impossible.

Once your lessons are properly set-up, it's easier because you just reuse the lessons; but by then you are a 'senior,' and you may get sucked into admin duties, which may consume just as much time. This is typically what happens at university level, I imagine the same will happen in any bureaucracy.

If you're ambitious and a good teacher, you can leverage it. The best South African teachers in the state school system either end up teaching at posh private schools or immigrate to post international schools worldwide; or they even end up in any industry that requires public speaking (I've met a former teacher who became a pharmaceutical rep).

I believe maths and English teachers are in demand worldwide.

Awesome.

I plan on getting certified in Math and ESE to ensure employment. I heard teaching Math isn't so bad since students take it a lot more seriously than say foreign language or literature. A teacher I spoke with, who used to teach French, switched to Math since he didn't like how foreign languages are received by the students.

Also, teaching is a good pipeline overseas. I could always jet to a foreign country if I get sick of dealing with the politicos that hold me to high standards (not that I don't mind high standards but if anything has fucked up education in this country it is Congress).

Quote: (05-13-2013 10:55 AM)Cyclone Wrote:  

This.

As an engineer moving into the education industry (already taught at a university abroad for 2 semesters) it is an amazing job. Yes, it took me about 5 hrs cumulatively to develop a PPT/daily lesson, but if you're only teaching 2-3 courses it's not bad at all. Lifestyle is amazing (very dynamic) plus if you've learned game, you're probably better than 95% of the teachers on board.

What credentials do you need to teach abroad at a university? Masters I am assuming...

I am what you think of when you think of a public school teacher in America. It's something I've wanted to do for a number of years, and as time has gone on it's a job I've further grown into and enjoyed even more.

Captain, it seems like you enjoy being around children. That's a good thing because I think that is the single greatest reason why teachers leave the profession. It's never cited as the reason why teachers leave, because really, who is going to admit they hate kids. But having been around the block a few times as a teacher, if you don't love kids, and all the chaos and hormones that come with them, then you won't survive.

Movies, documentaries and other coverage of today's schools portray them either as (1) broken or (2) being improved with some change the world shit type of ideas. It's neither of them. Teaching is a daily grind. It's the grittiest job I've ever had. Consistency and a desire to jump in head first are requirements, especially your first year. Go in there, find out what your supervisor wants, do exactly what they want and sneak in some ideas you find valuable throughout the year.

Building off of that, your first year of teaching will be horrible. Deal with it. Get over it. Get used to coming home at night, saying to yourself this can't get any worse, then showing up the next day and watching hell freeze over in your classroom. However, it will get better; I can't stress that enough. In your first year, if your Monday-Friday aren't hell on earth, then you're not doing it right. If your lessons aren't bombing your first year then you're not trying to teach anything of value.

However, the benefits are immense. 13 weeks of vacation is nothing to scoff at. I'm able to take two or three vacations a year, with one of them being a 10 week vacation. Think about that. That's no longer a vacation, that's 'let's pack it up and move to another country' type of time. Two years ago, I spent my summer in a chateau in the French Alps, last summer I spent a month each in Thailand and China, and this summer I'll be living in Rio. In addition, I get another 10-12 day vacation in each year in addition to the full gamut of weekend trips, and bachelor parties.

Financially, you've got a base salary plus there are always after school activities that you can rack up extra pay with. I came in at close to 70k last year, and will do better than that this year. Prorated, when compared to someone who gets 2-3 weeks of vacation, that's close to 100k. Thanks, but I'll take the 70k and 13 weeks vacation each year.

The retirement packages are immense as well. I'm more focused on getting money in my pocket for now, but I make sure to rack back 10-12% of my salary into a guaranteed fund that pays 7.7% annually until I retire. Let's just say these past four years that I've been having my cake and eating it too with proper financial planning and some sacrifices in other areas of my life(cheap rent in not the greatest location/shitty car), The medical benefits are excellent as well.

I would stay away from special ed. Yes, it is easier to find a job but in many cases special ed is just a female's way of saying 'behavioral problem'. Look at the statistics, special ed is overwhelmingly filled with minority males. A whole host of issues result from that, and your teaching is more discipline and baby sitting rather than education.

Also, if you're serious about this as a career in education, get yourself into the retirement system ASAP. You can do this evenn as a sub. With laws being passed left and right, and rightfully so, neutering benefits to new hires. It will only get worse, so get your paper work together to make sure you don't get screwed on not getting the benefits you thought you would.

This is a long response, but it is very general in nature. Feel free to ask away any more specific questions you may have. Any questions I don't feel like answering on a public forum I'll PM to you.

It might be a weird question but let me try : I'd like to teach internationally but I feel that they want really outgoing, great teachers with an amazing work ethic! You check their websites and you see pictures of teachers getting involved into all kinds of extracurricular activities, all up beat..etc. I would like to do minimum work. Not that I am lazy, I just don't have the drive for it. I'd like to come to class, deliver a pretty average lesson and get out on time. I am guessing schools in Africa would be chill like that? China maybe?
I've been a substitute teacher for too long and that where the habit is from. I come in, pass out worksheets ans sit back...and if I am lucky I'll find the way to connect to the internet. I became a pro at finding internet in schools. Gotta love those VOIP phones they have in schools nowadays [Image: smile.gif] It's a chill job.

Quote: (05-13-2013 07:13 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

I am what you think of when you think of a public school teacher in America. It's something I've wanted to do for a number of years, and as time has gone on it's a job I've further grown into and enjoyed even more.

Captain, it seems like you enjoy being around children. That's a good thing because I think that is the single greatest reason why teachers leave the profession. It's never cited as the reason why teachers leave, because really, who is going to admit they hate kids. But having been around the block a few times as a teacher, if you don't love kids, and all the chaos and hormones that come with them, then you won't survive.

Movies, documentaries and other coverage of today's schools portray them either as (1) broken or (2) being improved with some change the world shit type of ideas. It's neither of them. Teaching is a daily grind. It's the grittiest job I've ever had. Consistency and a desire to jump in head first are requirements, especially your first year. Go in there, find out what your supervisor wants, do exactly what they want and sneak in some ideas you find valuable throughout the year.

Building off of that, your first year of teaching will be horrible. Deal with it. Get over it. Get used to coming home at night, saying to yourself this can't get any worse, then showing up the next day and watching hell freeze over in your classroom. However, it will get better; I can't stress that enough. In your first year, if your Monday-Friday aren't hell on earth, then you're not doing it right. If your lessons aren't bombing your first year then you're not trying to teach anything of value.

However, the benefits are immense. 13 weeks of vacation is nothing to scoff at. I'm able to take two or three vacations a year, with one of them being a 10 week vacation. Think about that. That's no longer a vacation, that's 'let's pack it up and move to another country' type of time. Two years ago, I spent my summer in a chateau in the French Alps, last summer I spent a month each in Thailand and China, and this summer I'll be living in Rio. In addition, I get another 10-12 day vacation in each year in addition to the full gamut of weekend trips, and bachelor parties.

Financially, you've got a base salary plus there are always after school activities that you can rack up extra pay with. I came in at close to 70k last year, and will do better than that this year. Prorated, when compared to someone who gets 2-3 weeks of vacation, that's close to 100k. Thanks, but I'll take the 70k and 13 weeks vacation each year.

The retirement packages are immense as well. I'm more focused on getting money in my pocket for now, but I make sure to rack back 10-12% of my salary into a guaranteed fund that pays 7.7% annually until I retire. Let's just say these past four years that I've been having my cake and eating it too with proper financial planning and some sacrifices in other areas of my life(cheap rent in not the greatest location/shitty car), The medical benefits are excellent as well.

I would stay away from special ed. Yes, it is easier to find a job but in many cases special ed is just a female's way of saying 'behavioral problem'. Look at the statistics, special ed is overwhelmingly filled with minority males. A whole host of issues result from that, and your teaching is more discipline and baby sitting rather than education.

Also, if you're serious about this as a career in education, get yourself into the retirement system ASAP. You can do this evenn as a sub. With laws being passed left and right, and rightfully so, neutering benefits to new hires. It will only get worse, so get your paper work together to make sure you don't get screwed on not getting the benefits you thought you would.

This is a long response, but it is very general in nature. Feel free to ask away any more specific questions you may have. Any questions I don't feel like answering on a public forum I'll PM to you.

Excellent summary.

Having assessed what I want to do with my life in terms of travel, free time, and giving, teaching is the only job I can see where I can get what I want.

Quick Questions: Special Education is the strongest job market wise but you mentioned staying away from Special Ed. Is there another subject that you would recommend teaching that would be strong in the job market? I thought about teaching English but I heard English teachers are a dime a dozen. I think it would be pretty cool to teach the Great Gatsby though.

Also, how are the evaluations? At my school many teachers complain about them. I guess it varies on what state you are teaching in.

But yeah, I love the benefits, the kids, the desire to help. I find it much more rewarding than beefing up some fat cats profit margins.

70k a year? That is certainly enough income to live quite an exciting bachelor lifestyle.

If you're planning on teaching abroad, always make sure to do your research on the currency you're going to be paid in!

I remember hearing so many of my teachers in China about the fact that they were being paid in US Dollars, which was losing value compared to the Chinese yuan.

RVF Fearless Coindogger Crew

I've been substitute teaching for the past few months in Tampa.

I thought about being an academic professor as well (English),

Most professors care not about teaching, they care about research in their fields. An English professor might care about a critical deconstruction of Moby Dick, or a Marxist-Feminist reinterpretation of Romeo and Juliet. They just want to study and become authorities in their subfield, and teaching is just a side-effect.

Quote: (05-13-2013 11:31 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

Guys! Would love to hear about teaching at universities abroad. What's the way in to this? Are we talking masters degree + teaching qualification, and then teaching your subject in English to fluent foreign students? Or am I off the mark?

You don't typically need a teaching qualification to teach adults in a post-secondary setting; normally they are looking for at least a Masters degree in your subject area (though a doctorate is usually preferred) and published research. The most frequent exception to this is teaching English within the foreign language department at a university overseas, where they're often just looking for an MA (or even scraping the bottom of the barrel with an MEd) in TESOL and some competence in the local language. If you're doing doctoral-level coursework at the foreign university chances are good they would also employ you as a sessional instructor to teach first-year courses in either English or your subject area (assuming courses are offered in English). Some countries also have partnerships with universities abroad; when I was in Bosnia recently I met a batshit crazy American girl who was like, twenty-two years old with zero life experience outside of doing a back-to-back, year-round BA and then MA in Balkan Studies (!), who was teaching "American Studies" at a university there through some program funded by your American tax dollars...

Male Defined indeed presented a good summary, allow me to give my take as a 3rd year SpEd Behavioral/Resource Teacher at the high school level:

I'm in a similar position to you OP, not interested in working private sector again (had various gigs over the years) or military...really working on getting fully self employed after tasting a little success in the mid 2000s.

Anyway, knowledge of Game/Redpill whatever you want to call it is absolutely crucial for staying sane and actually enjoying your time in the skool ™ system. Rollo's Feminine Imperative is in full effect but the key is recognizing it and using it to your advantage. I see cats w/ the 1000 yard stare in their eyes all the time dropping out left and right even in my short tenure.

SpEd: yes, IEP/ARD paperwork is a bitch but after dealing w/ "TPS reports" and bullshit meetings in the private sector I can deal better than most. I specifically chose the behavior side 1) it offers far more autonomy 2) I get to drop jewels directly to the kids that need it most and 3) I rarely get hassled about school bureaucracy because people think my room is like the holding tank (it's not) 4) Gives me more incentive to stay chiseled

A lot of your experiences will depend on the specific campus/state/district you're at by the way ie. Administrative support, team cohesion, pay scale, access to supplies, network infrastructure, aide support, etc

Pay: dude pulling 70K is doing lovely - where I'm at that's reserved for admins/specialists or people with about 8 years in (I don't plan on being in it that long).

Work day: average teacher in high school is usually typical to any other 9 to 5, sometimes longer sometimes shorter...depends on the variables

Time off: Folks make fun of teacher's summer vacation but I believe that it's a therapeutic requirement...most of the folks that have beef with it have no idea what it's like to work with kids all day every day...not the same as working at Initech or what have you.

Honestly, I hate the 9 to 5 schedule of schools but I've designed my current lifestyle to make it work for me. I was used to being off when most people were working/in school and heading outta town during the low season to now being off when everyone else is...essentially you're on "average guy" schedule ha...it's cool, still never going to get completely used to it.

Job security: Not so sure about that one my brother - probably more secure than the average gig, but teachers do get let go and not just for the propaganda they show on the tell-lie-vision. Hell, where I'm at most people who started in the last 5 years or so are only on 9.5 month contracts every year...the budget scapegoat.

Co-workers: Interesting to say the least...my place has everything from Harvard grads to folks who probably barely graduated from Podunk U. Some are passionate about their content areas others could give a damn.

Tired of typing my stream of consciousness after a long day...all in all just know what you're getting into. Stay up.

I'd provide more, but I'm pretty beat from today and the last thing I want to think about is children. With warmer weather come hotter hormones. A disaster for a teacher dealing with adolescents.

Quote: (05-15-2013 08:28 PM)___ Wrote:  

Male Defined indeed presented a good summary, allow me to give my take as a 3rd year SpEd Behavioral/Resource Teacher at the high school level:

I'm in a similar position to you OP, not interested in working private sector again (had various gigs over the years) or military...really working on getting fully self employed after tasting a little success in the mid 2000s.

Anyway, knowledge of Game/Redpill whatever you want to call it is absolutely crucial for staying sane and actually enjoying your time in the skool ™ system. Rollo's Feminine Imperative is in full effect but the key is recognizing it and using it to your advantage. I see cats w/ the 1000 yard stare in their eyes all the time dropping out left and right even in my short tenure.

SpEd: yes, IEP/ARD paperwork is a bitch but after dealing w/ "TPS reports" and bullshit meetings in the private sector I can deal better than most. I specifically chose the behavior side 1) it offers far more autonomy 2) I get to drop jewels directly to the kids that need it most and 3) I rarely get hassled about school bureaucracy because people think my room is like the holding tank (it's not) 4) Gives me more incentive to stay chiseled

A lot of your experiences will depend on the specific campus/state/district you're at by the way ie. Administrative support, team cohesion, pay scale, access to supplies, network infrastructure, aide support, etc

Pay: dude pulling 70K is doing lovely - where I'm at that's reserved for admins/specialists or people with about 8 years in (I don't plan on being in it that long).

Work day: average teacher in high school is usually typical to any other 9 to 5, sometimes longer sometimes shorter...depends on the variables

Time off: Folks make fun of teacher's summer vacation but I believe that it's a therapeutic requirement...most of the folks that have beef with it have no idea what it's like to work with kids all day every day...not the same as working at Initech or what have you.

Honestly, I hate the 9 to 5 schedule of schools but I've designed my current lifestyle to make it work for me. I was used to being off when most people were working/in school and heading outta town during the low season to now being off when everyone else is...essentially you're on "average guy" schedule ha...it's cool, still never going to get completely used to it.

Job security: Not so sure about that one my brother - probably more secure than the average gig, but teachers do get let go and not just for the propaganda they show on the tell-lie-vision. Hell, where I'm at most people who started in the last 5 years or so are only on 9.5 month contracts every year...the budget scapegoat.

Co-workers: Interesting to say the least...my place has everything from Harvard grads to folks who probably barely graduated from Podunk U. Some are passionate about their content areas others could give a damn.

Tired of typing my stream of consciousness after a long day...all in all just know what you're getting into. Stay up.

Awesome post, really informative. Thanks.

You are so right about job security not being there. Almost every opportunity I've subbed it was because a teacher was put on administrative leave.

I think Special Ed is where I would have the strongest chance of teaching where I want to teach (South Florida/Central Florida). Special Ed, with ESOL and a Math endorsement will guarantee me a job.

But will I like it though?

I've subbed all levels and I enjoy working with Pre-K the most, spefically, Pre-K special needs. Yes, it is "babysitting" but I love using my imagination, love working with kids, and I like the daily perks (get to take them outside on the playground, nap time, classroom management isn't as harsh, having a co teacher/teacher's aide).

Middle school is a nightmare.

Highschool allows me to build more of a connection since the students have developed personalities at that point. The problem is the behavior issues are a lot. These kids now a days are a different breed, broken homes, drug issues, etc. I couldn't imagine teaching high school at a Title 1 (where I will more than likely end up thanks to the loan forgiveness).

I still need to do more field work in Special Needs before I sign the dotted line but short of a AP English position in a location I prefer, I think special needs is the way to go.

Quick question: What do you guys think about the administrative positions (AP's Principals, Counselors, etc). Do you see any positives in not having to teach but still able to take advantage of the school schedule (time off, short work days, benefits)?

Oh well, got to run. Bell is about to ring in 30 minutes!

Quote: (05-16-2013 05:36 AM)Captain Ahab Wrote:  

You are so right about job security not being there. Almost every opportunity I've subbed it was because a teacher was put on administrative leave.

I think Special Ed is where I would have the strongest chance of teaching where I want to teach (South Florida/Central Florida). Special Ed, with ESOL and a Math endorsement will guarantee me a job.

I've subbed all levels and I enjoy working with Pre-K the most, spefically, Pre-K special needs. Yes, it is "babysitting" but I love using my imagination, love working with kids, and I like the daily perks (get to take them outside on the playground, nap time, classroom management isn't as harsh, having a co teacher/teacher's aide).

Highschool allows me to build more of a connection since the students have developed personalities at that point. The problem is the behavior issues are a lot. These kids now a days are a different breed, broken homes, drug issues, etc. I couldn't imagine teaching high school at a Title 1 (where I will more than likely end up thanks to the loan forgiveness).

I still need to do more field work in Special Needs before I sign the dotted line but short of a AP English position in a location I prefer, I think special needs is the way to go.

Quick question: What do you guys think about the administrative positions (AP's Principals, Counselors, etc). Do you see any positives in not having to teach but still able to take advantage of the school schedule (time off, short work days, benefits)?

No problem on the info - each one teach one.

Will you like it? Depends on your personality and background/life experiences...

I'm at a title 1 "magnet school" (over 65% free and reduced lunch) overlapping a major city and I can dig it but like Male Defined said, I genuinely relate to the kids no matter what personal issues they have going on. The kids can sense that which like MD said is a big reason why a lot of competent teachers "on paper" burnout. You have to be receptive, at least show an interest in trends, and treat them as young adults (which they are...adolescence was a 20th century invention) all while subtly commanding respect...really be a jack of all trades in this field - people who are sticklers for the rules/rigid or think life should be like it was in 1984 run into a rude awakening.

In SpEd (which is a business - but that's a whole 'nother topic though) you need to really be able to step outside of conventional wisdom and be prepared for anything. Hell, even in Gen Ed...cannot understate how being able to see the matrix before diving in helps...but you're right, a junior or senior AP class where you can practically teach w/ your feet up since the kids take care of themselves is the golden ticket (outside of dealing with the PARENT(s)...which again is a whole 'nother topic).

Check out some of Ivan Illich & John Taylor Gatto's work (ie. Deschooling Society, Dumbing Us Down, etc) if you haven't already. Also, these guys had some good insight I found useful while adjusting my mind to the system: http://www.teach4real.com/ (active) & http://roomd2.blogspot.com/ (dormant)

Re: Admins/Counselors and other higher level non-teaching positions

- Admins are a semi-prestige position, but at least at the high school level, they put in work...their days are usually filled with bs meetings, discipline, and grunt work...and they work practically the whole summer w/ probably a few weeks off in July, however if you get the right placement I can see it being cush...counselors stay busy with grunt work as well but they have a little more flexibility...truth be told there are a lot of other options in addition to those two but you'd have to your foot in the door to get hip to them.

Peace

Quote: (05-16-2013 11:27 PM)___ Wrote:  

Quote: (05-16-2013 05:36 AM)Captain Ahab Wrote:  

No problem on the info - each one teach one.

Will you like it? Depends on your personality and background/life experiences...

I'm at a title 1 "magnet school" (over 65% free and reduced lunch) overlapping a major city and I can dig it but like Male Defined said, I genuinely relate to the kids no matter what personal issues they have going on. The kids can sense that which like MD said is a big reason why a lot of competent teachers "on paper" burnout. You have to be receptive, at least show an interest in trends, and treat them as young adults (which they are...adolescence was a 20th century invention) all while subtly commanding respect...really be a jack of all trades in this field - people who are sticklers for the rules/rigid or think life should be like it was in 1984 run into a rude awakening.

In SpEd (which is a business - but that's a whole 'nother topic though) you need to really be able to step outside of conventional wisdom and be prepared for anything. Hell, even in Gen Ed...cannot understate how being able to see the matrix before diving in helps...but you're right, a junior or senior AP class where you can practically teach w/ your feet up since the kids take care of themselves is the golden ticket (outside of dealing with the PARENT(s)...which again is a whole 'nother topic).

Check out some of Ivan Illich & John Taylor Gatto's work (ie. Deschooling Society, Dumbing Us Down, etc) if you haven't already. Also, these guys had some good insight I found useful while adjusting my mind to the system: http://www.teach4real.com/ (active) & http://roomd2.blogspot.com/ (dormant)

Re: Admins/Counselors and other higher level non-teaching positions

- Admins are a semi-prestige position, but at least at the high school level, they put in work...their days are usually filled with bs meetings, discipline, and grunt work...and they work practically the whole summer w/ probably a few weeks off in July, however if you get the right placement I can see it being cush...counselors stay busy with grunt work as well but they have a little more flexibility...truth be told there are a lot of other options in addition to those two but you'd have to your foot in the door to get hip to them.

Peace

Cool.

Thanks for the information guys. You really cleared a lot of clouds in my head about this area.

I imagine my graduate school work will focus on Special Education and Reading instruction. I can get certified in English/ESOL to keep the window open if I should ever want to leave special ed and teach a general subject.

Glad this "career" thing is finally in the tool box. Then again, I could strike oil with my blog/ebook business and negate my education path entirely but that is a long shot career.

Atleast teaching will get me access to salary, benefits, a stable job, and time to travel. Hell, having nights and weekends off week to week would be a huge improvement to the subbing/pizza delivery shit I have to do now.

Having one day off a week sucks with little pay sucks. 50k a year for me would feel like WEALTH right about now.

Quote: (05-13-2013 11:31 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

As an engineer moving into the education industry (already taught at a university abroad for 2 semesters) it is an amazing job.

Sorry for the late delay guys - I personally went through a program called IAESTE, which is specific for engineers, and pretty damn hard to get into. However, once you "show up" at a campus in a high-demand area (i.e. Americans rarely show up) you can basically make friends, eventually talk with the deans, and see what areas they'd like to have you cover. If they do accept you, it will likely be informal work and less than $1000/month but it's totally worth the lifestyle, especially since they often provide housing on campus (hellooo pussy) I did *NOT* have a Master's degree!

If I were you, try to get a remote job in addition (look at VirtualVocations) before heading out there just to have backup money, unless you already have a business set up. Good luck fellas.

- Cyclone

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Or anyone with experiance teaching at international schools oppose to strictly teaching english?

For people that are at Unviersity or have just finished and need to pay back a student loan, I heard teaching English abroad can be a great way of paying it back quickly (but can also be dreadful). There are some organisations that allow you to work for a period such as a year teaching English at a particular place. They usually pay you around 15% over the cost of living.

So say you are in a poor country where people live off not much money at all, 15% of that is going to be nothing really. But if you were to be teaching in a wealthy country, 15% of the cost of living means you will be making loads of money and therefore can pay back your University debts very quickly.