rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Would you move to sweden?

Ok i just need some advice for a friend of mine that is currently in nyc.
He has received a job offer to work for an swedish IT company in stockholm as an engineer. Question is would you advice him to move there? he is single, 34 years old.
From what i know, the pay is not that great( in comparison to NYC) and taxes are higher plus food and everything else seem to be more expensive( maybe this excludes rent of an apartment). There is the language barrier (although everyone speaks english in sweden) and the terrible winter. Besides all this could it be a great experience at least to try? what about the women?
any ideas or tips are welcome

thanks

Quote: (05-12-2013 08:13 PM)Scarecr0w Wrote:  

He has received a job offer to work for an swedish IT company in stockholm as an engineer. Question is would you advice him to move there? he is single, 34 years old.
From what i know, the pay is not that great( in comparison to NYC) and taxes are higher plus food and everything else seem to be more expensive( maybe this excludes rent of an apartment). There is the language barrier (although everyone speaks english in sweden) and the terrible winter. Besides all this could it be a great experience at least to try? what about the women?

thanks

Considering he is NYC already, it's a pretty hard question to answer. NYC is without a doubt one of the top cities to be in the world (not just US) to be in as far as game. If it is better for his career in the long run I think he should go. What is his personality like though?

Nonetheless, if he does want to branch out/see the world-I think he should go. The winters will be brutal though, and some of the buildings/architecture can look bland in the city. Nonetheless it is a GREAT place for daygame, Swedish women are relatively FINE (not at all though, and again it depends on what his type is, etc.). He also will have cheap flight access to the baltics should he want to go visit those countries. There will be a MINIMAL language barrier as well, maybe some but not as much as one might think there is-all scandinavian countries speak english well. He should definitely check out Uppsala and Gothenburg.

Quote: (05-12-2013 08:59 PM)IpsaScientiaPotestasEst Wrote:  

Quote: (05-12-2013 08:13 PM)Scarecr0w Wrote:  

thanks

Considering he is NYC already, it's a pretty hard question to answer. NYC is without a doubt one of the top cities to be in the world (not just US) to be in as far as game. If it is better for his career in the long run I think he should go. What is his personality like though?

Nonetheless, if he does want to branch out/see the world-I think he should go. The winters will be brutal though, and some of the buildings/architecture can look bland in the city. Nonetheless it is a GREAT place for daygame, Swedish women are relatively FINE (not at all though, and again it depends on what his type is, etc.). He also will have cheap flight access to the baltics should he want to go visit those countries. There will be a MINIMAL language barrier as well, maybe some but not as much as one might think there is-all scandinavian countries speak english well. He should definitely check out Uppsala and Gothenburg.

Well he has this mentality of develop his professional career but without sacrificing his personal life. I would say if the pay allows him to live comfortably (even if its not at NYC wages level) helps boost his resume and have plenty of women it would be a goo opportunity to try at least for a year. There is also the benefit of being in europe closer to a lot of other countries...

If he can grab citizenship after working a couple of years he's home free. Not counting pension he won't ever have to worry about disability or poverty again. He'll have trouble building fuck-you-money but if he's not having a plan for that already at 34 it's not even a consideration.

Unless he's a social cripple or disturbingly ugly he will not have a problem meeting women as an American ex - pat in Stockholm.

Tell him to pack his bags, I would go in a heartbeat.

The only downside I hear is that the winters can be rough, this coming from a Canadian.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Hell yeah! Stockholm is awesome (winter + expensive are downsides sure), girls are amazing, and supposedly the work is less pressured, very "team" atmosphere, good hours and holidays.

Quote: (05-13-2013 11:40 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

work is less pressured, very "team" atmosphere
This is true. We call it "discussion culture" in Finland. No one busts your balls, everything is discussed until everyone agress etc. Very friendly working atmosphere.

Quote: (05-13-2013 12:55 PM)The Great Basilisk Wrote:  

Quote: (05-13-2013 11:40 AM)RichieP Wrote:  

work is less pressured, very "team" atmosphere
This is true. We call it "discussion culture" in Finland. No one busts your balls, everything is discussed until everyone agress etc. Very friendly working atmosphere.

Yeah, and that's really cool IMO. Especially compared to UK/US.

Out of interest, do you see any disadvantages of the work culture there btw?

Quote:The Great Basilisk Wrote:

This is true. We call it "discussion culture" in Finland. No one busts your balls, everything is discussed until everyone agress etc.

[Image: troll.gif]

Jante Law 1

Jante Law 2

+ Our fellow player J-Assange called Sweden the "Saudia Arabia of feminism".

With so much cultural estrogen in the air Sweden is kiss of death for real men.

Quote: (05-13-2013 04:21 PM)rhino Wrote:  

Quote:The Great Basilisk Wrote:

This is true. We call it "discussion culture" in Finland. No one busts your balls, everything is discussed until everyone agress etc.

[Image: troll.gif]

Jante Law 1

Jante Law 2

+ Our fellow player J-Assange called Sweden the "Saudia Arabia of feminism".

With so much cultural estrogen in the air Sweden is kiss of death for real men.

that's interesting, do other members agree??

Tell us all about your travels in Sweden rhino.

not a whole lot of females in IT except support roles usually, in the US anyway

Quote: (05-13-2013 10:29 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

He'll have trouble building fuck-you-money but if he's not having a plan for that already at 34 it's not even a consideration.

That’s something I love about my life in America. It’s exciting when you can finally start building that fuck-you money, knowing that with hard work and time, you can be unstoppable.

On the other hand...
[Image: swedish-girls.jpg]

I'd jump on the chance. It might have some of the most fucked up male-female relations in the world, but it's a rich, stable and otherwise admirable country. It would be a huge upgrade.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

I would like "team atmosphere" work. I'm sick of being the only guy who doesn't slack in a group.

I would go, but probably not if I had job in NYC.

Since I suppose he is american, women will just be slick as seals when he pulls that card out. there is huge love for america in sweden.

Winter is a bit depressing, too much darkness, but on the other side spring/summer are really nice. Pay is quite high for european standards, access to alcohol is a bit more complicated, and so are taxes. All in all, everything works almost fine.
Be aware though, the feminist horde is big in numbers, but low in intellectual strength.

Depends on his goals in life. Stockholm is a great city.

Be careful about who you take advice from on here about Scandinavia though. Lots of forum members seem to just spew out shit about the region.

Hell no. Its cold, expensive and swedish chicks are overrated.

Once when i was in Germany i almost planned a trip to Malmö but all my flatmates kept telling me it was too very damn expensive so i gave up.Not sure it they told me so because they found Sweden too expensive or me too poor [Image: bigsmile.gif]

"Go be fat on someone else's time."

Why not?

Stockholm is a cool city and the stability of having a job there and making the Krona would not be a dumb move.

The winters are not that bad. In fact, I think they are better than many other places in Europe. It might be cold, but at least there is blue sky and snow. The grey layer over many other places is worse. Buy some good fur and appreciate the winter Stockholm fashion (which is sexy).

Talking about the women on RVF is almost pointless these days. Everyone has a different experience in regards to women, and mine was amazing. It took calibration and a bit of patience but they are worth it.

Again take advice from guys on here very lightly. Nowhere in Scandinavia do women throw themselves at a man. Portly trolls might rub themselves on you at 2am, but thats about it.

The only downside to Stockholm is the location is a bit out of the way in regards to travel in Europe. But the access to Helsinki, Tallinn, St Pete is good so that gives another angle as well. Arlanda airport is bit outside the city which is too bad.

Obviously tell your buddy to get a flat in a central neighborhood and to learn to sacrifice space for location. I met Americans over there that hold on to their notions of needed space and end up living outside the action, and hence get no action. Get a good central place to pre party and after party and watch the social circle grow.

Quote: (05-14-2013 01:34 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Why not?

Stockholm is a cool city and the stability of having a job there and making the Krona would not be a dumb move.

The winters are not that bad. In fact, I think they are better than many other places in Europe. It might be cold, but at least there is blue sky and snow. The grey layer over many other places is worse. Buy some good fur and appreciate the winter Stockholm fashion (which is sexy).

Talking about the women on RVF is almost pointless these days. Everyone has a different experience in regards to women, and mine was amazing. It took calibration and a bit of patience but they are worth it.

Again take advice from guys on here very lightly. Nowhere in Scandinavia do women throw themselves at a man. Portly trolls might rub themselves on you at 2am, but thats about it.

The only downside to Stockholm is the location is a bit out of the way in regards to travel in Europe. But the access to Helsinki, Tallinn, St Pete is good so that gives another angle as well. Arlanda airport is bit outside the city which is too bad.

Obviously tell your buddy to get a flat in a central neighborhood and to learn to sacrifice space for location. I met Americans over there that hold on to their notions of needed space and end up living outside the action, and hence get no action. Get a good central place to pre party and after party and watch the social circle grow.

Thanks for the advice laner, definitely he will take this into consideration

Quote: (05-14-2013 01:34 PM)Laner Wrote:  

It cannot be understated enough: finding a rental apartment in Stockholm is hard. I mean it's ridiculously hard compared to other cities. If your friend is serious, he should seriously consider buying a flat. Depending on location and size (only assuming the price of a 15% deposit here), that could cost him/you 200K-500K SEK and up.

Quote: (05-13-2013 07:06 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

not a whole lot of females in IT except support roles usually, in the US anyway

No difference from Sweden then.

Quote: (05-21-2013 06:15 PM)... Wrote:  

It cannot be understated enough: finding a rental apartment in Stockholm is hard. I mean it's ridiculously hard compared to other cities. If your friend is serious, he should seriously consider buying a flat. Depending on location and size (only assuming the price of a 15% deposit here), that could cost him/you 200K-500K SEK and up.

What other cities are you using as reference? I'd say it's still fairly favourable if you compare to other major cities (NYC, London, Frankfurt to name a few).

I wouldn't move there, but if I was someone who was offered a job there, and the alternative was living in America, for sure I would move there!

Stockholm is a real nice city, the people can be kind of unfriendly, and not too much goes on culturally - but everything works well, its clean, its nice, and the girls are pretty and liberal.