rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A Portrait Of The Naughty Flapper Girl Of The 1920’s

Please note – I didn't intend to right so much about feminism in this post, but I did. If you don't want to read about the development of the modern feminist movement through the lens of the flapper, then cut out.

There was a recent post here about how many men your grandmother has slept with. I went to respond, mentioning that she lived before the sexual revolution and the invention of the pill. The more I thought about, I didn’t really know anything about the women of her era – the 1920’s. Although she was just a child, the women really started to change what women could do and a woman’s social expectations. The women of her era were trailblazers – often times referred to as “flappers.”

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVBU9MYa6K6o2G8BWnwVE...sJqrhBJQOQ]

Let’s go ahead and step through a few historical points. First, understand that the flapper movement was predated by many efforts, after the Civil War; for women to change their roles. Unhappy with their clothing options, job prospects and the general comportment society required them to engage in, women began to agitate for change. The changes were really superficial at first, as the requirement to wear floor-length dresses was a universal complaint shared by both liberal and conservative women. They wanted to be able to expose more skin and have more options for their hair. They also wanted to venture more outside the home for jobs. While lower-class women have always worked – especially black women – this really shows off what a middle-class and above movement the flapper was and feminism in general.

Okay, the flapper bubble heated up during WWI, when women flocked to the factories to help out in the war effort. This source of serious independent income helped spark the movement’s explosion after the war. Also, understand that the Spanish Flu epidemic broke out on the heels of the WWI, as the close quarters and diverse mix of cultures involved helped spread the disease. This put off the economic recovery for a few years, until 1920. In addition, the Temperance Movement had gotten Prohibition passed, thus setting up alcohol as illegal and taboo, thus increasing its appeal to young women.

Also, this was the same year the women gained the right to vote in the US. Also consider since the US was on the winning side, they gained serious stature in the world and an economic boom occurred in the US, often referred to as the “Roaring Twenties.” The economic independence gained by women during the war, coupled with the power to vote and toss in the fact that over 53,000 young men died in the war – for a country of 92 million. That seriously increased the competition for young women for men – given what this forum knows about women, it increases promiscuous behavior if women outnumber men.

This era gave birth the flapper girl. This woman was a primitive and prototypical modern woman. She still retained many feminine virtues, but still tried to defy gender stereotypes. What is most striking is her modified approach to fashion. The most identifiable feature of the flapper is the bobbed haircut.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz6QfPHTI5uCdpJUvqcDt...gTWe2i0lYA]

While I am not an expert on women’s fashion at all and most of the talk about their appearance meant nothing to me, I will relay what I could understand. First off, was the desire to show off arms and shoulders, as well as knee-high skirts. The dresses of the era reflected that. Also, they desired less restrictive clothing – remember the corset? – so the dresses were looser and less form-fitting. They flirted with audacious jewelry and all manner of boyish haircuts. They also broke gender barriers by wearing all sorts of hats. They typically expressed their boyishness through their haircut. By and large, they considered wearing excessive amounts of makeup and bright, red lipstick to be a sign of empowerment.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEXtHRZ5FarIgazBH4tYY...dpvj7IZMDr]

Her approach to social comportment is also striking. Remember, alcohol was illegal, so speakeasies and all manner of back-alley bars reigned supreme. Most Americans largely ignored the Volstead Act – which made possession and consumption of alcohol illegal – generally, of course. However, the flapper went all on this. Previously, smoking, drinking and generally bar-going was a male endeavor. Men would work all day, go the bar and go home drunk. However, women wanted access to these acts and places and so they went. Women were sometimes seen half naked, cigarette in one hand, drink in the other in a speakeasy. It was seen as a sign of empowerment. Women also began to participate in mass consumption as an individual, not a partner. Of course, women falsely thought men had it better because they were economically independent but they paradoxically proclaimed it was liberating to not have to haggle over purchases - reinforcing the idea that men weren't economically independent.

Let’s step through approaches to sexuality. Dating and casual sex mores were loosened for the flapper. Some solid research on effective birth control methods arose late in the 1800’s, but it was against the law to disseminate it. However, it trickled down to the general population and some birth control clinics opened – most famously the one by Margaret Sanger, who saw birth control as a way to reduce nonwhite populations. However, the flapper used these methods to allow her to exploit her hypergamy. She flirted shamelessly with men in bars and in public. She reveled in the positive attention she gained from men noticing her slender arms and exposed ankles. Really, we wouldn’t get it at this age, but at the time, it probably rocked dude’s worlds to see so much skin outside of marriage.

Going forward, they saw manipulating men sexually through their looks to be the epitome of empowerment. They prided themselves on their use of makeup, fashion and open flirting with men. They also experimented with lesbianism. The book “The Well Of Loneliness,” was published in 1928. Such a book could not have hit publishers 20 years before. While there were some high-profile lesbians in society in the world, they were mostly in Europe. Also consider that homosexuality was considered more mainstream in places like Germany in the 1920’s, where actual gay bars existed – they were quashed by Hitler. Even places like Harlem were more accepting of homosexuality, but as usual, it was more female homosexuality, not male.

Back on point, women saw freely hooking up as empowerment. However, this wasn’t their only change in their relationship with men. They began to question the whole makeup of society. Flappers considered men to be privileged at the expense of women and saw to invert these roles. Magazines targeted at flappers began to develop primitive feminist theory. As expected, there were beta males who identified with flappers – they were called flippers.

[Image: 2130593.jpg?226]

Women didn’t just seek access to venues to fuck men; they sought access to other places generally off limits to women. They sought to participate in sports, from hockey to baseball. Some wrote manifestos about how men and women are equals on the field; but women had those delusions shot to hell by reality when men allowed them to the take the field. They also increasingly sought access to college. One major problem with feminist theory about education is the women haven’t had a significant presence in the collegiate system – in fact, women overtook men in college enrollment in the early 1980’s. Back on point, colleges became known for “necking parties” or “petting parties,” where emphasis was on kissing and touching, but no sex. Clearly, the lack of true, reliable birth control played a part in this, but it seems to be another way for women to feel out for alphas.

However, the most striking point of the flapper was their resistance to relevance. They emphasized fashion, flirting and fun. They despised the work ethic of their mothers and desired a world of nothing by good looks, sex and listening to music and watching movies. They helped popularize the Charleston and jazz. Their lives were supremely superficial - which is exactly what they wanted. They didn’t want the real responsibilities of being a wife or mother. Part of this mindset might have been the hardship of the war, but they didn’t suffer in any way close to the women of Europe. They were just entitled women just waiting to burst out and had their chance in the Roaring Twenties.

Corporations took advantage of this. They helped popularize the look of the empowered woman smoking a cigarette – violating a social convention for women. Women took to this as empowered, but really just lined the tobacco company’s pockets with silver. Women spent all of their wages on all sorts of new trappings. They helped develop modern consumer culture. Government and corporations knew they had a new cash cow – women. They wouldn’t and won’t give up this vehicle. It isn’t any surprise a federal income tax got laid in the 1910’s along with the creation of the Fed. It was all in the cards, in my paranoid opinion.

However, for all their independence, gumption and empowerment, the stock market crash in 1929 ended the movement. The poverty most Americans were thrust into resulted in flappers really taking on a bad light – they were seen as petty and a burden. Which would be true. Only wealthy and productive societies can afford such privilege to a class of women. It really speaks to the level of privilege any feminist has to speak.

The poverty that became the United States forced the flapper to face realities. One, is that female economic independence is rarely correlated with actual productivity, as women usually piggy-back on male productivity. War-time may force them into productive capacities, but when given the chance; they may rue the loss of income, but women prefer nonproductive jobs where they can self-aggrandize. Second, is that social stability, especially in times of hardship, is predicated not just on the nuclear family, but all members of the family supporting each other. Third, is the idea that superficiality is just that – worthless. Not being a mother and wife, or at least being a productive worker, hurts society.

Of course, women went back into the house, being a wife and mother. They did often work outside the home if they could, but as we already know, women are interested in independent income for themselves. However, these women are members of the Silent Generation. Their behaviors – although not universal, to be sure – laid the groundwork for the Sexual Revolution and second-wave feminism. And that is a whole other post.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Oh shit son, look at them ankles that broad is flaunting!

You like that? I got some seriously scandalous photos:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGMfIge7YKFa4UbyUtWoY...UjXg_l6j2b]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP8ygI_uforLHG0QEX9Yn...3GBGH0mPpw]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYZmYXg1aiYH3yF3Ax_uQ...ecbnujk7GE]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTHNbumWyEYB2vQAmmW3U...MHhlsxPQ9n]

I really hope I don't get banned for posting outrageous photos.

why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

fatty upper-arms.

returnofkings dot com

Check out my occasionally updated travel thread - The Wroclaw Gambit II: Dzięki Bogu - as I prepare to emigrate to Poland.

Fuck flippers.

Hahaha, flippers.

Looks like the prototypical beta male and white knight.

She probably wasn't too attractive back then, but by today's standards she'd definitely be a 5 or less. She looks like she packs on the weight easily.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (05-09-2013 09:42 AM)Hannibal Wrote:  

Hahaha, flippers.

Looks like the prototypical beta male and white knight.

She probably wasn't too attractive back then, but by today's standards she'd definitely be a 5 or less. She looks like she packs on the weight easily.

Give her some long hair and she might even be a 6. Her face isn't so bad but I hate short hair.

Wald

I dunno what you keyboard jockeys are talking about, but I'd bang each and every women in these photos. Great post again 2Wycked.

One thing, you neglect to mention, Wycked, is the economic reasons for the Flapper movement - the roaring twenties were all created in cheap credit, just like the housing bubble of the 2000's.

The same was true of Germany in the 1920's, as the Weimar republic took on cheap loans to help stabilize their currency after the hyperinflationary hell of 1919-1921.

The entire flapper movement lends credence to the idea that cheap money leads to cheap morals. I expect to see a similar outcome to the modern American woman and her equally vapid lifestyle.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Quote: (05-09-2013 10:29 AM)Samseau Wrote:  

cheap money leads to cheap morals. I expect to see a similar outcome to the modern American woman and her equally vapid lifestyle.

Brilliant.

I take my 'bang em all' attitude back.

Not sure I could get it up for this one, she looks like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

I do a lot of swing dancing and some of the follows have mentioned the flapper and women's liberation connection before. Here is an article one of the follows posted on the dance groups page.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/apr...NTCMP=SRCH

Quote: (05-09-2013 11:21 AM)Samseau Wrote:  

I take my 'bang em all' attitude back.

Not sure I could get it up for this one, she looks like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Easy, that's some one's manjaw great granny.

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"

Quote: (05-09-2013 09:33 AM)Walderschmidt Wrote:  

Fuck flippers.

Flippers were literally the modern male feminist. They were relegated to subordinate roles in the flapper's lives. They often were forced to wear female clothing and makeup - to reinforce their inferiorty. Flappers sometimes referred to the flipper as taking their rightful place - as second class.

Of course, the Great Depression forced some of the flappers to marry their flippers. Could you imagine that wedding?

Also, notice the difference between college and bars. Women were outnumbered on campus, so they had kissing parties and no sex. In bars, where women sometimes outnumbered men (especially right after the war), sex was far more common. The articles and book I read mentioned this, but never seemed to put the big picture together. They just assumed sleeping around must mean female empowerment because it broke social convention.

Quote: (05-09-2013 10:29 AM)Samseau Wrote:  

I dunno what you keyboard jockeys are talking about, but I'd bang each and every women in these photos. Great post again 2Wycked.

One thing, you neglect to mention, Wycked, is the economic reasons for the Flapper movement - the roaring twenties were all created in cheap credit, just like the housing bubble of the 2000's.

The same was true of Germany in the 1920's, as the Weimar republic took on cheap loans to help stabilize their currency after the hyperinflationary hell of 1919-1921.

The entire flapper movement lends credence to the idea that cheap money leads to cheap morals. I expect to see a similar outcome to the modern American woman and her equally vapid lifestyle.

You said it best brother. Feminism is an affluence problem.

I seriously need to start saving up money. I fear that in my life time if not soon we're going to experience a level of unemployment similar to the 1930s but this time the safety nets we have will be cut to razor thin levels. It has to get that bad for people to seriously change their ways.

Either way, it's going to suck royally.

comportment learned a new word. Bearing I believe.

Also flapper introduced they awful poses which would lead to the teenage hunch. They would jut out there hips to pose. A posture book 8 ways to a pain free back by Elain Gokhale covers this in more depth. Its a terrible position for the spine to be in for long period of time.

[Image: 200px-Clara_Bow_Brewster_1921.PNG]

[Image: Normatalmadge_crop.jpg]

I decided to give this thread a friendly bump after I sawthis thread.

I think this time period (The Gilded Age through the '20's) is the most interesting in American history. And I'm still waiting on somebody getting in their time machine and then dropping a flapper data sheet, lol.

[Image: 6ce0073fc304fb361c5ef5907094c1ba--s-flap...-girls.jpg]

[Image: 5-flappers-on-ice-roaring-twenties-daniel-hagerman.jpg]

[Image: http---a.amz.mshcdn.com-wp-content-uploa...1475555493]

[Image: 1920s-Fashion-Correct-Postures-for-a-Fla...8-main.jpg]