rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Emotional Vampires: How To Deal With People Who Drive You Crazy

I am a huge fan of the website http://www.therawness.com. His approaches to psychological issues – or inner game – are insightful and supremely helpful. I mention this because one of his posts turned me on to a book called “Emotional Vampires” by Dr. Albert Berstein.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQqJYkbPgJngg3TRus1Nn...iv33SKZlTA]

The book is a quick and great read. It is clearly organized and well-written. However, the most important aspect of the book is his emphasis on practical solutions. Many books on psychology are either too superficial to be of any real use, or are too theory-heavy for any person not versed in psychology to interpret and implement.

The subtitle of the book sums up what sort of people he will be discussing and analyzing – “people who drain you dry.” This is important distinction to focus on people who drive other people up the wall, up opposed to driving themselves up the wall. People who make themselves crazy are usually referred to as having psychoses or neuroses, people who drive others crazy are usually referred to as having “personality disorders.”

People with personality disorders display a wide range of issues. Inability to deal with boredom, excessive adherence to formalized rules, and complete and utter lack of empathy for others, amazing displays of charisma followed by utter depression or reverting to being boring (anybody who read “The Game” would remember Mystery falling into this category), or simply the inability to handle their own emotions, so they befriend or romance others so they have captive audiences for their emotional rollercoasters.

Regardless, one the most important themes throughout the book is his insistence on explaining why these sorts of people are the way they are. He stresses empathy, because almost always, if they are draining you, it isn’t because of you – it is because of their internal conflicts. In order words, they are targeting you not because of you specifically, but because they need a victim to shore up their faltering psychology – like a vampire feeding on a person in order to slake their thirst for blood. You often see these disorders at full attention when the vampire is subjected to stress – their disorders are there to calm their nerves, even if that means pissing you off to no end. In sum - do not let them get to you.

These disorders often develop in childhood as a reaction to their needs not be met in a timely manner by parental figures.

Before I get into the types of vampires, let’s talk about the common methods that a vampire comes at you in real life. Often times, these sorts of people make a fantastic first-impression; they are charismatic, empathetic and completely focused on you – think a lesser Bill Clinton. They often are great at misdirection, identifying what you want as a person and a creation of an alternate reality in which to get what you want. Warning signs you are being preyed include level of “instant rapport,” departing from social convention, and creating a level of internal confusion in you. Like most of psychology, it isn’t a rote list of behaviors or actions you can check through, you have to develop your sense on this stuff. Remember, they ultimately want to drain you emotionally.

Let’s step through the broad categories of vampires he identifies: anti-social, histrionic, narcissistic, obsessive-compulsive, and paranoid. Let’s go through anti-social first.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu8Lg3YvbJkmZQrCIZK01...LJ1_mzujFm]

Anti-social personality disorder sounds exactly like its name to a 1950’s conservative: sex, drugs and rock and roll. These sorts of people are consumed by drugs, alcohol, sex and partying. The key observation about this disorder is the high insistence on new stimulation, impulsiveness and charm. These sorts of people are usually lovable – at least, superficially. He identifies anti-socials that purely just want thrills, and some that get thrills of dominating and exploiting other people. The purest forms of these people you don't often encounter in the workplace, as their drug use and partying is prohibitive to holding down a full-time job. You probably knew them in high school and college.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkgvnZ3Xe-4bdGAN86s0t...cSlN7sQyJL]

Histronic vampires are supremely superficial. Obsessed with looks, “putting on a good show,” treating acquaintances like close friends, and generally levels of superficiality – obsession with pop culture, others social lives and all manner of nothing important. The author goes out his way to say that it is wrong to assume this is a feminine problem – he claims the 1950’s dads had these sorts of issues. What he gets wrong is that he assumes masculinity was/is a façade. It makes marketing sense for his book, as women would balk being stereotyped as having this disorder.

Like anti-socials, these are addictive disorders – but to approval. Often times, if they are not getting the attention this want, they will become a pill-popper or alcoholics. Not because purely because of the physical thrill, but because of the attention they will come socially. There are two main categories of Histronic disorder: “ham-it-up” and passive aggressive. To be sure, both are feminine. You probably know men with this disorder – they are often the worst of omega and beta males. “Ham-it-up” love putting on a show and are excellent at creating worlds where they offer themselves up as the prize. They are often wont to use illness and personal tragedy as a theater to showcase themselves. Passive-aggressive vampires are people who divide their personality into pure, loving and good impulses and everything” negative” into the other. They are completely oblivious to their anger, meanness, etc. A classic example is somebody asking somebody (who is clearly upset) what is wrong. The angry person responds, “Nothing is wrong.” This situation escalates until the vampire accuses the victim of being way too angry. See the transmission? They push their anger onto you, so they don’t have to acknowledge their anger.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoDg2E-T8_JcBAnd4f1ft...2bBIYNrPIK]

Next are narcissistic vampires. You know these types, grandiose, over the top and have a complete lack of regard for others. I have an intimate knowledge of these types, as my mother is one. In their life, there is no stopping, their self esteem rides on everything they do every day. They always have to win. However, these sorts of people become successful politicians (Bill Clinton), invent all sorts of stuff, explore the world, etc. In sum, often time these sorts of people who have made the world. They are often your favorite pro athletes – think Kobe Bryant. A key takeway is the need for narcissistic supply – they need for your worship and devotion. Once they feel they have yours, you see their true side.

There are two main types of narcissists – I refer to them as internal and external vampires. Internal narcissists are grandiose in their own minds; they don’t have real world accomplishments, not charismatic or anything. They would be some dude coming onto this board boasting of all his lays, while never having so much as whiffed the scent of pussy. The other type of narcissist is an external one. These guys and gals are the real deal. Usually charismatic, intelligent and often rich, these people are successful, socially and professionally. Remember, these sorts of people are their own harshest critics, they just project it onto you, so don’t take it personally.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzJwlXkI5SizZzHW4y-kt...w0UeeDfI-X]

Next up are obsessive compulsive personality disordered people. These people are usually great workers, very reliable and incredibly predictable. The downside? They have no concept of the idea of “the spirit of the law.” Rigid adherence to rules is their life. These sorts of people seem to be perpetually angry, which is true. Yet, the anger is subconscious. The two types – perfectionists and puritans – think their blind following of the rules will block out their aggressive impulses.

Perfectionists are the usual person you work with who thinks they work harder than everybody. The most annoying part is often they do. You can’t criticize them because they follow company policy to the letter or are the perfect conservative/liberal. They use the rules as a way of bullying, constantly criticizing and downing others. They often rise to middle management and get stuck there. Which means anybody beneath them is subject to their tyranny – they don’t criticize superiors. Puritans are your garden-variety religious person or ideological person. They think the world punishes the virtuous and they are on high alert for offenses. Their response to perceived immorality is bullying – suppression of expression, outright cruelty and punishment.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX4Pc9hzKT7OnwH1ry-I6...nJGKh-LQBT]

The last is paranoid personality disorder. People who love conspiracy theories, who inordinately love philosophy, politics and intellectualism in general often have this disorder. In their mind, the whole world can be distilled into simple black and white theories. These sorts of people are people who produce bizarre manifestos, they are also the world’s greatest philosophers or intellectuals. Their personal problems manifest in personal relationships. Their inherent mistrust of the world is really their mistrust of themselves.

There are two main categories: visionaries or the jealous. Visionaries are the classic crack-pot theorists. 90% of the time, their ideas are bullshit. However, when they are right, they are right. Paranoid people are very perceptive, however most of the time they see things that simply do not exist. What draws people in is their complete confidence in their ideas. The jealous are people who cannot trust others. Every relationship will eventually become marred with accusations of not really caring about them, talking behind their back, or – if it’s sexual – cheating, running around or not really loving them. Very draining in the long run.

Let’s break down the approaches of dealing with these sorts of vampires, as there are many common themes. First off, you must always be aware when dealing with these people; like I said initially, be wary of instant connections, hypnosis, control and creation of alternate realities. It really means just be self-aware, never be too comfortable. This is good advice in general. Unless you are hanging with your best friends, never let your guard down completely.

Second, you need to understand their personal history. You need to get outside opinions of somebody. If you can, ask a few disinterested people about them. Often times, your wariness will be verified. You need to watch personal actions, not words. While this is obvious advice, it gets forgotten in real life. I myself have found myself transgressing this rule. A common technique that runs through all these disorders is the possession of a silver tongue – they are smooth talkers. Don’t let them get to you; because once they do they will emotionally drain you.

Third, is you have to selective about what you deal with. You can’t fight every conflict with them, you have to be discerning about what you act on. Wait till you know you have them in a spot for you to easily call them out – but be specific about your goal. If you are looking to just score points or vent your frustration at them, you won’t help yourself. You need to be clear about what you want from them. Understand their psychology and approach them in effective ways. For example, with a narcissist, you need to pump their ego up a bit before criticizing them, know what you want from them, and tie your needs into theirs. They don’t care about your needs, but if you let them know they can help themselves by helping you, you may succeed.

Fourth, ignore any and all outbursts where they lose their temper. I would guess unless it is escalating into physicality, the general rule is to ignore tantrums. Some specific situations do require intervention, however.

Finally, understand your own personal restrictions or limits. Unless the person is a boss or a coworker, know when it is best to walk away for your own mental health. Simple really, the closer a person is to you, the more work you might want to do to deal with them; if they aren’t really close, then maybe the best way forward to just bowing out.

In any event, I highly recommend reading this book. It has given me some great practical advice to deal with difficult people – most especially in the workplace. Honestly, if you haven’t already, you will encounter some real difficult people to handle at your job. Unlike your social circle, where you may be able to keep interactions superficial, if you work a 9-5 with an emotional vampire, you need real tactics to keep yourself grounded. Also, the book is good because it reminds you to not judge them – they are really fighting themselves. No good comes of judging them or you adopting their personality traits. Often times, these people are great at seduction, climbing the corporate ladder or just fun to hang out with. Be aware of positives as well their limitations and you can successfully navigate the vampiritic waters.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

why are you dropping blog-quality posts constantly? good for the board, but doesn't make sense to me.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Two reasons: I messed my foot up pretty bad, so I'm not working out or going out right now. Second, most importantly, I am taking the bar this summer, so my free time will become severely constricted in less than 2 weeks - I can't maintain a blog. After that, I still don't think I could maintain a blog.

why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

There are a lot of similarities between emotional vampires and players. All those dark triad traits, psychopathy, narcissism, machievellianism. If players are a Ford Taurus, then emotional vampires are Lamborghini.

Great post, +1 from me, thanks for reviewing this book, I think I may have anti-social personality tendencies!

You might be able to submit your posts to Return of the Kings.

I'll co-sign on this post, and thanks for the book recommendation, I think it could help me out a lot and is a topic I am interested in. I dated a girl with BPD (borderline personality disorder) and it was probably one of the worst things that's ever happened to me in my entire life. I am surprised you didn't mention borderlines in your post, were they not examined in the book?

Here is some stuff from the post, that I have copied, pasted, and put in italics because it's very true:

"Inability to deal with boredom, excessive adherence to formalized rules, and complete and utter lack of empathy for others, amazing displays of charisma followed by utter depression or reverting to being boring (anybody who read “The Game” would remember Mystery falling into this category), or simply the inability to handle their own emotions, so they befriend or romance others so they have captive audiences for their emotional rollercoasters...

He stresses empathy, because almost always, if they are draining you, it isn’t because of you – it is because of their internal conflicts. In order words, they are targeting you not because of you specifically, but because they need a victim to shore up their faltering psychology – like a vampire feeding on a person in order to slake their thirst for blood. You often see these disorders at full attention when the vampire is subjected to stress – their disorders are there to calm their nerves, even if that means pissing you off to no end. In sum - do not let them get to you...

Often times, these sorts of people make a fantastic first-impression; they are charismatic, empathetic and completely focused on you – think a lesser Bill Clinton. They often are great at misdirection, identifying what you want as a person and a creation of an alternate reality in which to get what you want. Warning signs you are being preyed include level of “instant rapport,” departing from social convention, and creating a level of internal confusion in you. Like most of psychology, it isn’t a rote list of behaviors or actions you can check through, you have to develop your sense on this stuff. Remember, they ultimately want to drain you emotionally."

I believe there is a bunch of overlap with a lot of these disorders, there is a group of personality disorders known as "cluster B", which I believe are anti-social, historonic, narcisistic, and borderline personality disorders. To be diagnosable a person need to match 5 or 6 out of the 7 or 8 characteristics and traits of the disorder, my EX who I'm sure is borderline also easily qualifies as narcisistic, also has many traits of anti-social and historonic.

These people can be extremely charismatic, convincing, and seductive, but ultimately they are sociopathic in the sense that they have a complete lack of empathy for others and are totally and utterly self absorbed and self centered. They pretty much see everything as a cat and mouse game, and they are trying to use you, and ultimately "drain you". People with cluster B personality disorders are usually extremely manipulative, conniving, and deceptive, I personally could never and would never trust one after dating my ex-girlfriend.

The term "emotional vampire" sounds like it was created by a woMAN.

I'm an anti social narcissistic paranoid dick head

Not really, but I definitely possess some of those traits.

@OGNorCal707

No, borderlines were not explicitly discussed in the book. My first impulse is that borderlines are more neurotic than anything else, so their problems are more internally focused - outside the scope of the book. The book focused purely on external manifestations of disorders. However, BPD does have external manifestations - clearly.

Check out this post:

http://therawness.com/my-cluster-b-philosophy/

An important point in the article you might find helpful is this:

Quote:Quote:

Both those with [narcissistic personality disorder]…and those with BPD…are driven by a constant and deeply motivated drive to find safety in their lives by avoiding things that trigger their terrifying fears. Bother narcissists and BPs perceive a threat in the judgments of the people around them, one so great that it is terrifying to them…

BPD's fear, above all else, abandonment. This is my personal theory (one that I am tinkering with the more I learn about psychology) is that women with BPD - call them waifs, histronics, or the like - were harmed by a male figure in their youth, and their behavior towards men in their adulthood is reflective of this. They ultimately fear male abandonment, but also seek to play out the daughter/father dynamic in the way it should as a child - but with her romantic partners.

First point is this: understand that whatever disorders a person developed as a child carried them through childhood. In order words, it helped them cope with a childhood were their needs weren't met. For example, women with BPD exhibit strong mood swings. As a child, I would hazard a guess she wasn't allowed to be a child and act out her emotions as she felt them. If she cried, got angry, got sad or even being happy - she was slapped down. Very, very typical of women who were children of male alcoholics.

Second: is the "honeymoon period." Just about any relationship started with some sort of vampire, whether it narcissistic, paranoid or BPD, usually starts out with a valuation period. Biologically, this usually tracks the response in the brain where certain hormones are released in early stages of attraction before long-term attraction hormones are introduced. Once the high - you could call it addiction - wears off, then the knives come out. Mood swings (essentially asking you to manage her emotions - what her parents should have done), complete, narcissistic devaluation (no matter what you do, she has to be better than you); in less words, she projects her deficiencies in her relationship with her parents, childhood friends or bad influences and early relationships onto the male she is with.

Finally, you are right there is much overlap, as T points out in his post. However, the devil in the details as most people with serious issues have strains of a few or many personality disorders or neuroses. Very rare is the pure example of a disorder. I have a friend who is a complete, by-the-book narcissist - so self-absorbed even the strongest of hamsters almost always reject him. He will find an incredibly weak-willed woman someday.

Regardless, I think alot of dudes in game come across BPD types. I think a vulnerable man is an up-and-coming player. Gaining confidence, skill and reputation, a BDP senses his masculinity but also the fact he hasn't completely peaked and still hasn't solidified inner game. Still, the most vulnerable of all is the guy who still, deep down, has an ideal of the white picket fence with a woman whom he loves and she loves him back. She wanted that as a kid for her parents, and she senses you want it, too. Don't be fooled, she will create a reality in which you think you can get that, but what she really craves is to act out her failed relationship with her dad.

I feel for your situation and it is sad. I myself got involved with a rank narcissistic female early in life. I don't need to tell you, early on, it is an incredible high. Charming, feminine - it is like they know what you want without you knowing (warning sign!). Once they got you hooked, they start to use you for what they need for you for - approval, superiority, resolving trust issues. In my case, this woman had trust issues, approval issues and superiority issues. A real doozy. I eventually kicked that shit to the curb, but not before about six months of serious hell. I haven't had a girlfriend since.

In the end, BPD are ultimate manipulators. I have spent most of my time studying narcissists, as that is what my mother is and my previous two girlfriends are - but there is serious overlap.

Borderline personality disorder is arguably the most applicable to male female relations, and is usually the #1 issue in high conflict divorces, and tumultuous break ups in general. Yeah, the other ones are important when dealing with douchy co-workers and such, but BPD is king, and having your rader tuned is crucial. It's basically a synonym for a stalker. Glenn Close in Fatal attraction has BPD. Although not exclusive to women, most of them are. Narcissistic Personality disorder is kind of like the male version of BPD in women.

Co-Sign OGNorcal on dating...errr...sticking your dick in a girl with BPD, huge awful ramifications. Use google voice and dont bang them at your house, and never leave them alone with your computer.

PM me your email and I'll get you setup 2Wycked

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

Solid post... Lots of good info here.

Quote: (05-07-2013 09:29 PM)2Wycked Wrote:  

Two reasons: I messed my foot up pretty bad, so I'm not working out or going out right now. Second, most importantly, I am taking the bar this summer, so my free time will become severely constricted in less than 2 weeks - I can't maintain a blog. After that, I still don't think I could maintain a blog.

Consider posting on Return of Kings.

Otherwise - you could write some guest posts on my blog if you wish. My audience is small - but big enough to get you started should you change your mind about starting your own blog in the feature.

Wald

Edit: People have said the bit about Return of Kings before me (looks like Samseau will set you up). Offer still stands in any case.

@Samseau: Roosh has already contacted me about a previous post. I am currently working on formatting it for RoK. I will begin to work on this one once I finish the first.

@Wald: I appreciate the offer and will most likely take you up on it in a month or two.

Quote: (05-08-2013 07:00 PM)2Wycked Wrote:  

@Samseau: Roosh has already contacted me about a previous post. I am currently working on formatting it for RoK. I will begin to work on this one once I finish the first.

@Wald: I appreciate the offer and will most likely take you up on it in a month or two.

Send me a PM or email me here.

Wald

I read all your posts by the way, even though I don't reply in the thread. Keep posting!

Don't associate with them, period.

I expect and demand that people energize, inspire, and/or motivate me.

If they don't do this, I DON'T TALK TO THEM.

The last is paranoid personality disorder. People who love conspiracy theories, who inordinately love philosophy, politics and intellectualism in general often have this disorder. In their mind, the whole world can be distilled into simple black and white theories. These sorts of people are people who produce bizarre manifestos, they are also the world’s greatest philosophers or intellectuals. Their personal problems manifest in personal relationships. Their inherent mistrust of the world is really their mistrust of themselves.

There are two main categories: visionaries or the jealous. Visionaries are the classic crack-pot theorists. 90% of the time, their ideas are bullshit. However, when they are right, they are right. Paranoid people are very perceptive, however most of the time they see things that simply do not exist. What draws people in is their complete confidence in their ideas. The jealous are people who cannot trust others. Every relationship will eventually become marred with accusations of not really caring about them, talking behind their back, or – if it’s sexual – cheating, running around or not really loving them. Very draining in the long run.

I've noticed a continued trend in mainstream media sources to consistently portray those who believe in smart people getting together strategising and then implementing those strategies, as crazy. If I wasn't crazy, I'd think that there was some sort of conspiracy!

Quote: (05-07-2013 09:06 PM)2Wycked Wrote:  

I am a huge fan of the website http://www.therawness.com. His approaches to psychological issues – or inner game – are insightful and supremely helpful. I mention this because one of his posts turned me on to a book called “Emotional Vampires” by Dr. Albert Berstein.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQqJYkbPgJngg3TRus1Nn...iv33SKZlTA]

The book is a quick and great read. It is clearly organized and well-written. However, the most important aspect of the book is his emphasis on practical solutions. Many books on psychology are either too superficial to be of any real use, or are too theory-heavy for any person not versed in psychology to interpret and implement.

The subtitle of the book sums up what sort of people he will be discussing and analyzing – “people who drain you dry.” This is important distinction to focus on people who drive other people up the wall, up opposed to driving themselves up the wall. People who make themselves crazy are usually referred to as having psychoses or neuroses, people who drive others crazy are usually referred to as having “personality disorders.”

People with personality disorders display a wide range of issues. Inability to deal with boredom, excessive adherence to formalized rules, and complete and utter lack of empathy for others, amazing displays of charisma followed by utter depression or reverting to being boring (anybody who read “The Game” would remember Mystery falling into this category), or simply the inability to handle their own emotions, so they befriend or romance others so they have captive audiences for their emotional rollercoasters.

Regardless, one the most important themes throughout the book is his insistence on explaining why these sorts of people are the way they are. He stresses empathy, because almost always, if they are draining you, it isn’t because of you – it is because of their internal conflicts. In order words, they are targeting you not because of you specifically, but because they need a victim to shore up their faltering psychology – like a vampire feeding on a person in order to slake their thirst for blood. You often see these disorders at full attention when the vampire is subjected to stress – their disorders are there to calm their nerves, even if that means pissing you off to no end. In sum - do not let them get to you.

These disorders often develop in childhood as a reaction to their needs not be met in a timely manner by parental figures.

Before I get into the types of vampires, let’s talk about the common methods that a vampire comes at you in real life. Often times, these sorts of people make a fantastic first-impression; they are charismatic, empathetic and completely focused on you – think a lesser Bill Clinton. They often are great at misdirection, identifying what you want as a person and a creation of an alternate reality in which to get what you want. Warning signs you are being preyed include level of “instant rapport,” departing from social convention, and creating a level of internal confusion in you. Like most of psychology, it isn’t a rote list of behaviors or actions you can check through, you have to develop your sense on this stuff. Remember, they ultimately want to drain you emotionally.

Let’s step through the broad categories of vampires he identifies: anti-social, histrionic, narcissistic, obsessive-compulsive, and paranoid. Let’s go through anti-social first.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu8Lg3YvbJkmZQrCIZK01...LJ1_mzujFm]

Anti-social personality disorder sounds exactly like its name to a 1950’s conservative: sex, drugs and rock and roll. These sorts of people are consumed by drugs, alcohol, sex and partying. The key observation about this disorder is the high insistence on new stimulation, impulsiveness and charm. These sorts of people are usually lovable – at least, superficially. He identifies anti-socials that purely just want thrills, and some that get thrills of dominating and exploiting other people. The purest forms of these people you don't often encounter in the workplace, as their drug use and partying is prohibitive to holding down a full-time job. You probably knew them in high school and college.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkgvnZ3Xe-4bdGAN86s0t...cSlN7sQyJL]

Histronic vampires are supremely superficial. Obsessed with looks, “putting on a good show,” treating acquaintances like close friends, and generally levels of superficiality – obsession with pop culture, others social lives and all manner of nothing important. The author goes out his way to say that it is wrong to assume this is a feminine problem – he claims the 1950’s dads had these sorts of issues. What he gets wrong is that he assumes masculinity was/is a façade. It makes marketing sense for his book, as women would balk being stereotyped as having this disorder.

Like anti-socials, these are addictive disorders – but to approval. Often times, if they are not getting the attention this want, they will become a pill-popper or alcoholics. Not because purely because of the physical thrill, but because of the attention they will come socially. There are two main categories of Histronic disorder: “ham-it-up” and passive aggressive. To be sure, both are feminine. You probably know men with this disorder – they are often the worst of omega and beta males. “Ham-it-up” love putting on a show and are excellent at creating worlds where they offer themselves up as the prize. They are often wont to use illness and personal tragedy as a theater to showcase themselves. Passive-aggressive vampires are people who divide their personality into pure, loving and good impulses and everything” negative” into the other. They are completely oblivious to their anger, meanness, etc. A classic example is somebody asking somebody (who is clearly upset) what is wrong. The angry person responds, “Nothing is wrong.” This situation escalates until the vampire accuses the victim of being way too angry. See the transmission? They push their anger onto you, so they don’t have to acknowledge their anger.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoDg2E-T8_JcBAnd4f1ft...2bBIYNrPIK]

Next are narcissistic vampires. You know these types, grandiose, over the top and have a complete lack of regard for others. I have an intimate knowledge of these types, as my mother is one. In their life, there is no stopping, their self esteem rides on everything they do every day. They always have to win. However, these sorts of people become successful politicians (Bill Clinton), invent all sorts of stuff, explore the world, etc. In sum, often time these sorts of people who have made the world. They are often your favorite pro athletes – think Kobe Bryant. A key takeway is the need for narcissistic supply – they need for your worship and devotion. Once they feel they have yours, you see their true side.

There are two main types of narcissists – I refer to them as internal and external vampires. Internal narcissists are grandiose in their own minds; they don’t have real world accomplishments, not charismatic or anything. They would be some dude coming onto this board boasting of all his lays, while never having so much as whiffed the scent of pussy. The other type of narcissist is an external one. These guys and gals are the real deal. Usually charismatic, intelligent and often rich, these people are successful, socially and professionally. Remember, these sorts of people are their own harshest critics, they just project it onto you, so don’t take it personally.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzJwlXkI5SizZzHW4y-kt...w0UeeDfI-X]

Next up are obsessive compulsive personality disordered people. These people are usually great workers, very reliable and incredibly predictable. The downside? They have no concept of the idea of “the spirit of the law.” Rigid adherence to rules is their life. These sorts of people seem to be perpetually angry, which is true. Yet, the anger is subconscious. The two types – perfectionists and puritans – think their blind following of the rules will block out their aggressive impulses.

Perfectionists are the usual person you work with who thinks they work harder than everybody. The most annoying part is often they do. You can’t criticize them because they follow company policy to the letter or are the perfect conservative/liberal. They use the rules as a way of bullying, constantly criticizing and downing others. They often rise to middle management and get stuck there. Which means anybody beneath them is subject to their tyranny – they don’t criticize superiors. Puritans are your garden-variety religious person or ideological person. They think the world punishes the virtuous and they are on high alert for offenses. Their response to perceived immorality is bullying – suppression of expression, outright cruelty and punishment.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX4Pc9hzKT7OnwH1ry-I6...nJGKh-LQBT]

Let’s break down the approaches of dealing with these sorts of vampires, as there are many common themes. First off, you must always be aware when dealing with these people; like I said initially, be wary of instant connections, hypnosis, control and creation of alternate realities. It really means just be self-aware, never be too comfortable. This is good advice in general. Unless you are hanging with your best friends, never let your guard down completely.

Second, you need to understand their personal history. You need to get outside opinions of somebody. If you can, ask a few disinterested people about them. Often times, your wariness will be verified. You need to watch personal actions, not words. While this is obvious advice, it gets forgotten in real life. I myself have found myself transgressing this rule. A common technique that runs through all these disorders is the possession of a silver tongue – they are smooth talkers. Don’t let them get to you; because once they do they will emotionally drain you.

Third, is you have to selective about what you deal with. You can’t fight every conflict with them, you have to be discerning about what you act on. Wait till you know you have them in a spot for you to easily call them out – but be specific about your goal. If you are looking to just score points or vent your frustration at them, you won’t help yourself. You need to be clear about what you want from them. Understand their psychology and approach them in effective ways. For example, with a narcissist, you need to pump their ego up a bit before criticizing them, know what you want from them, and tie your needs into theirs. They don’t care about your needs, but if you let them know they can help themselves by helping you, you may succeed.

Fourth, ignore any and all outbursts where they lose their temper. I would guess unless it is escalating into physicality, the general rule is to ignore tantrums. Some specific situations do require intervention, however.

Finally, understand your own personal restrictions or limits. Unless the person is a boss or a coworker, know when it is best to walk away for your own mental health. Simple really, the closer a person is to you, the more work you might want to do to deal with them; if they aren’t really close, then maybe the best way forward to just bowing out.

In any event, I highly recommend reading this book. It has given me some great practical advice to deal with difficult people – most especially in the workplace. Honestly, if you haven’t already, you will encounter some real difficult people to handle at your job. Unlike your social circle, where you may be able to keep interactions superficial, if you work a 9-5 with an emotional vampire, you need real tactics to keep yourself grounded. Also, the book is good because it reminds you to not judge them – they are really fighting themselves. No good comes of judging them or you adopting their personality traits. Often times, these people are great at seduction, climbing the corporate ladder or just fun to hang out with. Be aware of positives as well their limitations and you can successfully navigate the vampiritic waters.

Wow, great post!

In a table top RPG gaming group we had someone somewhere on one of these scales. She would do all sorts of bizarre things to get her way, but the most basic of which was crying and running out of the room.

SLAY THE EMOTIONAL VAMPIRES THAT ARE HOLDING YOU BACK

"If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars."—Rabindranath Tagore

If you've ever been around someone who leaves you feeling exhausted and drained, you have probably encountered an emotional vampire. These people don't drain your blood, but they do drain your vital energy. Emotional vampires can be found anywhere. Your best friend, coworker, or a stranger in the airport may be an energy-sucking fiend, and you may not even realize it.

"Emotional Vampires," a term defined by Albert J. Bernstein, PhD in his book Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry—are typically people that are extremely critical, controlling, narcissistic, or generally very negative and manipulative.

Who is your emotional vampire? Or are YOU one? Sometimes, when we are under enormous stress, we might unconsciously become quite emotionally draining of those around us.

Bernstien explains that most emotional vampires you will encounter do not have full-fledged personality disorders, but the ways they think and act do seem to fall into patterns of five types: Antisocial Vampires, Histrionic Vampires, Narcissistic Vampires, Obsessive-Compulsive Vampires, and Paranoid Vampires. He explains:

"If you see yourself among the vampires, take heart; it is a very good sign. We all have some tendencies in the direction of personality disorders. If you recognize your own, they are apt to be less of a problem than if you have no insight."

Here are some attitudes that apply to all emotional vampires:

"My Needs Are More Important Than Yours."
"The Rules Apply to Other People, Not Me."
"It’s Not My Fault, Ever."
"I Want It Now."
"If I Don’t Get My Way, I Throw a Tantrum."
Learning to protect oneself from "emotional vampirism" and other toxic behaviors, which may be present in our daily surroundings and situations, takes intentional and constant effort. Since we are all "weak" to a certain extent, it is often hard not to succumb and become a negative emotional vampire ourselves.

Below are a few lessons I have learned over the years that may just get you started:

CONTROLLING OUR EMOTIONS

Emotions are a natural part of being a human being, and controlling them doesn’t mean becoming a drone. However, how well we control our emotions drives how we treat others and ourselves. Zen Master Shunryu Suzuki says,

"Your mind and body have great power to accept things as they are, whether agreeable or disagreeable."
Over the years, through practicing acceptance and gratitude (which came from years of studying Eastern philosophies), I have just begun to control my negative reactions. I understand now that only I can control my reactions. While the situation I am in may cause agitation and distress, in order to deal with it most effectively, I need to consciously choose my response. In doing so, it is important that I remain calm.

Today, I try to accept everything as it is. Bad things are going to happen, and I am going to have to deal with them. But I don’t have to dwell on negative emotions created by a situation. As a human being of course I feel them, I recognize them, but I get proactive about trying to release them. I try to be grateful and take time to do something that I am passionate about every day. The universe has provided me a way to tap into my own potential, and I must use that potential for a worthwhile cause. I acknowledge my negativity, flaws, and shortcomings and try to work on them as best I can.

SPEND TIME WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE UPLIFTING

I touched upon this in one my previous posts - Self-Improvement Strategies For Becoming A More Authentic Leader. The people we surround ourselves with make the difference between failure and success. It is important is to avoid people who bring us down, waste our time, take us backward, and have no interest in our suffering. If all else fails, reduce contact with them or drop them from your life. Rather than spend your time with negative people, focus on the positive people instead.

Our lives are ours to lead, and it’s up to us with whom and how we want to share it. We cannot always eliminate toxic personality types from our day-to-day lives, however we can be mindful of their toxic behavior and how it affects us. For example, you may have to work on project teams with John Doe, the Emotional Vampire, but you may not have to subject yourself to sitting through a lunch right next to him, which may mean sacrificing your serenity.

In the past, I have spent a lot of time with negative people, both in personal and professional settings. It drained a lot of my energy and was often futile. Today, I make a deliberate effort to spend time only with people who uplift me and make me stronger.

REPLACE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS WITH POSITIVE ONES

I try to look for a bright side in every situation. And those bright spots do exist. If we practice identifying these bright spots long enough, it becomes habitual, and it makes a tremendous difference in improving our positive energy.

Life isn’t always fair. As the saying goes, sometimes life just "is what it is." Our needs, wants, and priorities do not necessarily come before all others. If we waste our energy focusing entirely on the things we can't have right away, we end up creating a negative energy within and around us (i.e.; my life sucks because I can’t have the… car/vacation/promotion…I want).

Even when we don't get what we want, we gain valuable experience. Experiences are often much more valuable than a material outcome. Material outcomes slowly decay; experiences (positive or negative) can stay with us and create a foundation for the future.

A DAILY EXERCISE

Last week, I spent a number of hours with Dr. Marshall Goldsmith. As a student of life, those hours were invaluable to me. A practicing Buddhist, Dr. Goldsmith was recently recognized as the No. 1 leadership thinker in the world at the bi-annual Thinkers50 ceremony sponsored by the Harvard Business Review. One of the most insightful lessons I walked away with was his six daily questions:

"Did I do my best to:
Be happy?
Find meaning?
Be fully engaged?
Build positive relationships?
Set clear goals?
Make progress toward goal achievement?"

To slay the "emotional vampires" within us and to avoid the vampires around us, perhaps the answers to those questions can be our guide. It begins with ‘doing our best’ every day to avoid toxic emotions, even though we cannot completely get rid of the vampires from our lives.

Next up are obsessive compulsive personality disordered people. These people are usually great workers, very reliable and incredibly predictable. The downside? They have no concept of the idea of “the spirit of the law.” Rigid adherence to rules is their life.

Ahhhh, the Lawful Stupid people [Image: biggrin.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Good book recommendation. I'll have to add that to my list. I recently read "How To Deal With Narcissists", which was highly informative as well.

There's also a concept called "Psychic Vampire". I'm not sure if there's much literature on it. I've known a few of them. I hung around one for a while. Every time I got near that guy, I was exhausted for days. I couldn't explain it. It's like I have nothing to show for that part of my life. Once we had a blow-out and I didn't have to deal with him anymore, I got my life back.

Quote: (03-29-2015 07:28 AM)emuelle1 Wrote:  

Good book recommendation. I'll have to add that to my list. I recently read "How To Deal With Narcissists", which was highly informative as well.

There's also a concept called "Psychic Vampire". I'm not sure if there's much literature on it. I've known a few of them. I hung around one for a while. Every time I got near that guy, I was exhausted for days. I couldn't explain it. It's like I have nothing to show for that part of my life. Once we had a blow-out and I didn't have to deal with him anymore, I got my life back.

Read this book. It covers what you're talking about in great detail.

Being exposed to each of the vampire personality types weighs you down in different ways.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

I always solve this problem with one simple procedure - I walk away.