rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Coping with U-Street Bars

I don't hang out in D.C. bars/clubs. On weeknights, they can be almost empty. I don't see any way to overcome that (unless you have the inside scoop on irregular events, parties, etc.).

But for educational tourism, I took the mighty Aliblaha out to U-Street to Brixton (site of the Roosh meet-up), Marvin's, and St. Exupery. It was crowded, with long waits for a drink at the bar. In Ali's words, you wait 10 minutes in line to enter, 10 minutes for a drink, minutes for the bathroom, and repeat.

Even worse, women sat in clusters at tables, backs to the rest of the bar, giving no eye contact. They were there to socialize in their cliques, not to meet people. You might be able to wait for a girl to get up for a drink and talk to her at the bar. It was also loud for talking. In some environments this might encourage a woman to stand closer in an intimate little nook. But it was too crowded to post up in a decent spot, and the women were all locked into their tables. So there was no mingling.

Some of you guys go to U-Street Bars. What do you do? Leap onto tables and perform magic tricks? Whip out a zippo lighter and wait for women to swarm you? Go really early or late? It is probably better on the sidewalk outside the bars.

Sounds horrible.

I have actually been out on U-street years ago and I don't remember it being as bad as you are making it sound, but it still wasn't great.

Quote: (04-15-2013 08:44 AM)Divorco Wrote:  

Whip out a zippo lighter and wait for women to swarm you?

That would be a way to counter act a poor bar scene.

I would Night Street Game and try to steer girls to better venues.

I do this all the time, however where I am there are a lot of tourist girls that need "guidance".

There will be plenty of tourist girls in DC in the coming months, so that is probably the angle I would use.

With the 10 minute waits for drinks, I would also Lock Down those bars.

You said yourself, they are empty during the week: perfect opportunity for Lock Down.

Did you go on Brixton's roof? After 11pm seemed more sociable, and by that I mean if you wait long enough, you may get your turn at approaching a 6.

Sounds like the Brixton has hit its peak popularity and is going down hill. Although I still hear good things about Friday/Saturday nights there.

I went there to the Brixton rooftop one time and never went back. It has a great venue, but the DJ was all over the place with the music. He was mixing so many different genres that didn't go well at all with one another. It was just a bunch of WTF moments. You might want to try Dodge City's rooftop and patio (if you can get past the hipsters) and Stetsons. I am wondering about Vinoteca's rooftop. Haven't been there yet. Jack Rose and Blaguard are also bordering Adams Morgan and U Street. I met a bunch of people at Jack Rose this weekend and you can even smoke inside upstairs.

Quote: (04-15-2013 08:58 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Did you go on Brixton's roof? After 11pm seemed more sociable, and by that I mean if you wait long enough, you may get your turn at approaching a 6.

Pretty much. It was four deep at the rooftop bar. I almost had a meltdown. U street is no man's land.

You basically have two choices. Go there on the weekends and run caveman dance floor game. Or go out during the week to the bars and restaurants on 14th below U st. If you show up at around 7, you can catch the tail end of happy hour and be there for the transition to the weeknight crowd.

Either option though still involves DC women.

"Coping" with a bar?!?!?

If you have to "cope" with a social environment, then you are in the wrong environment.

Or, you don't have enough experience and practice to be comfortable in that environment.

Find an environment more suited to your personality.

Or, practice more. Alot more.

Your social environment should help you get into your flow, if you have chosen wisely.

Quote: (04-15-2013 02:08 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

"Coping" with a bar?!?!?

If you have to "cope" with a social environment, then you are in the wrong environment.

Or, you don't have enough experience and practice to be comfortable in that environment.

Your social environment should help you get into your flow, if you have chosen wisely.

That's like telling a paraplegic to practice for a marathon. There's better ways to spend time. Preparing for U street game isn't worth it IMHO. I saw much more eye contact in Silver Springs.

Quote: (04-15-2013 02:46 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

"Coping" with a bar?!?!?

That's like telling a paraplegic to practice for a marathon. There's better ways to spend time. Preparing for U street game isn't worth it IMHO. I saw much more eye contact in Silver Springs.

DC makes you work for that eye contact. What I hate most about this place is people are too afraid to make eye contact, much less smile at a stranger.

Quote: (04-15-2013 02:51 PM)Gallego2006 Wrote:  

"Coping" with a bar?!?!?

DC makes you work for that eye contact. What I hate most about this place is people are too afraid to make eye contact, much less smile at a stranger.

Street approaching is very similar to the GCC. Proper body language is key. I have no issues getting girls to stop and converse. Problem I've never really ran a lot of street approaches, and don't try to escalate. Working on that now though. It's a lot of fun, and I'm sure more productive than U street bars, which is for simps.

Demographics for U St (places you went to) and Silver Spring (SINGULAR! Silver SpringS is in Florida and they have white trash mermaids there) are quite different. Is that why more eye contact?

Quote: (04-15-2013 04:53 PM)Menace Wrote:  

Demographics for U St (places you went to) and Silver Spring (SINGULAR! Silver SpringS is in Florida and they have white trash mermaids there) are quite different. Is that why more eye contact?

Ali:
In what part of Silver Spring were you getting so much eye contact? Downtown? Wheaton? White Oak?

I hate to say it on a game forum but I don't recommend night game in DC. The ROI just isn't there. When first starting out as an adult following a relationship I was in, I would get my lays via social circle (parties, school events, housewarmings, etc). I'm from here so that's easy for me to do. Then after moving back to DC after living in California I decided to give cold game a try while building the lifestyle. Now that I have the lifestyle part down I prefer to travel as much as possible and do social circle in DC (parties, events like ASW, etc). The quality is much better and girls are way more open and receptive when there's less degrees of separation. It simply isn't worth it to work like a mule to get an occasional 7 on a drunken night in DC. You'll be disappointed more often than not, no matter how fly you are or think you are. Do your dick a huge favor and get in with some circles. Whether you're from DC or not, that's not hard to do. There's tons of people here from all over the country who move here for jobs or school. Night game should be limited to special occasions IMO (i.e. taking out a friend visiting from out of town, etc).

Like Casanova said, DC is straight up social circle game. Night game is out the window too. You might have better luck on U St during the week during that 6-8 sweet spot. Bitch shields aren't up nearly as high.

Quote: (04-15-2013 07:34 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I hate to say it on a game forum but I don't recommend night game in DC. The ROI just isn't there. When first starting out as an adult following a relationship I was in, I would get my lays via social circle (parties, school events, housewarmings, etc). I'm from here so that's easy for me to do. Then after moving back to DC after living in California I decided to give cold game a try while building the lifestyle. Now that I have the lifestyle part down I prefer to travel as much as possible and do social circle in DC (parties, events like ASW, etc). The quality is much better and girls are way more open and receptive when there's less degrees of separation. It simply isn't worth it to work like a mule to get an occasional 7 on a drunken night in DC. You'll be disappointed more often than not, no matter how fly you are or think you are. Do your dick a huge favor and get in with some circles. Whether you're from DC or not, that's not hard to do. There's tons of people here from all over the country who move here for jobs or school. Night game should be limited to special occasions IMO (i.e. taking out a friend visiting from out of town, etc).

Casanova is on the spot. I live to travel and DC just doesn't cut it. For us older cats (30+) night game here is useless and the best time to hit any bar/lounge is for HH; usually between 5:30-8:30pm.. Recently I've had good luck at higher end places, such as wine bars (Veritas comes to mind on Connecticut although it can get very crowded so need to come here before 6pm). I notice that those tend to attract very few college-aged guys and instead more professionals in the 25-40 age range. Although wine bars have a lot of couples on dates the bet is always good that if you see 2 or 3 women sitting together in one of them for Happy Hour they are "single and ready to mingle".
Btw, I would much rather spend time chatting on Russian dating sites than be caught downtown DC after 8:30 chasing tail at a club. Unless one is <28 and the world's greatest conversationalist it just ain't worth the effort here.

Now that I have the lifestyle part down I prefer to travel as much as possible and do social circle in DC (parties, events like ASW, etc). The quality is much better and girls are way more open and receptive when there's less degrees of separation.

How are the ASW events?

Can you break them down a little more?

Quote: (04-15-2013 08:55 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Now that I have the lifestyle part down I prefer to travel as much as possible and do social circle in DC (parties, events like ASW, etc). The quality is much better and girls are way more open and receptive when there's less degrees of separation.

How are the ASW events?

Can you break them down a little more?

The soiree I went to was pretty fly man. Didn't feel like DC at all. Probably because no one was actually from DC. There's another one this wk in Georgetown. I told my boy in NYC about the network and he checked out the party they had up there. Said it was dope. Upscale venues, fly chicks, very international crowd. Globetrotters, jetsetters, etc. I met chicks from Italy, Romania, Brazil, etc. It's cool because it has an exclusive feel (i.e. they give you complimentary coat check) and people want to get to know each other. I wish they were giving out more invites so I can pass them around. If they do, I'll make an announcement. If you know someone in it have them add you as a guest for an event. If you're in a fly city they will def have something going on. They got soirees in Prague, DC, Santiago (Chile), Hong Kong, and NYC this week. They are all free too. The one in NYC on Wednesday is at 1 Oak in Chelsea which is one of the hardest clubs to get into in the city. They are all out of tiks already.

The thing about ASW I want to stress is it's not the type of community for guys who want to be anonymous. You have to have a legit profile picture (or else your account gets taken down) and be vouched for by the person who invited you. When you go to events you rsvp with your account and people will know who you are. You also end up adding people as "connections" for your profile. So if you're not comfortable with that then it's not for you. It's not just a network for meeting girls and going to parties but also for making contacts. There's some people in it doing big things. For example, the guy who hosts the DC events has pics at the White House with just him and Obama in the Oval Office. He was the DJ at the spoken word event that the Obamas hosted a few months ago.

I'd say the crowd is more late 20s/early to mid 30s and up. It's a sophisticated kind of scene.

I went to the ASW event yesterday at Neyla in Georgetown. Lebanese resto. I swear, good things in DC don't last long before the word gets out. Yesterday's event was nothing like the one at L2 Lounge a month ago. Everyone who had been to that one said the same thing. This time, there were bad ratios and the layout of Neyla was awkward. The clientele at this event was much older too. Postgrad, 30s and even 40s crowd. I still approached a couple sets - the guys in attendance were super lame and not about approaching chicks. I held my own and had some strong convos but nothing I saw was something I'd want to dive into. I was just keeping my game sharp. I don't think I'll be going to the next ASW event in June. I hope the scene in other cities is better. I hear NYC and London have consistently good events.

I agree with social circle ruling D.C. So it's not a SNL city. All this means is more footwork. I spoke with Divorco extensively, and if forced to move there, I'd become a fucking social terminator butterfly. EVERY embassy event, EVERY wine tasting, EVERY vet club event, ect. With that being said....

Diversity rules in D.C., but it's not apart of the U.S. It lacks its own identity due to so much diversity. The average white/black without a passport is fucked there. For the rest of us, who are well-traveled, can rise to the top. I used "Kumusta Ka" to DHV and get weeks ahead in a Filipino restaurant last night. If you have some countries under your belt, use that to open you circles.

I think what trips up players too is concentrating on females right off the bat. Make male friends first. Get your social proof through them, and hide your true intentions. Don't kill the goose, but play is slow.

Quote: (04-18-2013 10:25 AM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I swear, good things in DC don't last long before the word gets out.

This is DC in a nutshell. That first crowd you ran into is still here in the city. They are just on to something else. If you go to a hot new restaurant within the first 60 days, you'll see the same crowd. But after that its down hill. First with the not so cool but still live downtown crew, then the live in different parts of the city crew, then the arlington crew and eventually that manassas crew.

The key to dc is constantly being at the new place.

I remember when Lotus opened. Was there night 1. I was floored with how many 8's and 9's were there. I went back about three months later and it was trash. Never been back.

Quote: (04-18-2013 11:01 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I agree with social circle ruling D.C. So it's not a SNL city.

Yeah. And you did go to the best area for SNL the night you were there. I had to recommend those U Street spots as being your best bet. If you were staying longer I would probably have put you onto some dance clubs that are isolated. You would at least number/kiss close and maybe get a meetup later in the week. Really would depend on the ratio and availability of targets. Sometimes a venue can be straight up dead in DC. At least with U Street there's multiple venues that are accessible by walking and even opportunities for street game. The bar scene makes it easier to have conversation.

I didn't go to U Street to get laid. Divorco asked me to observe and compare to his experience and to those opinions on the forum, and all I accomplished was seeing what you guys do. I didn't see horrible ratios, but girls were huddled in groups. I felt like an Indian trying to attack a circled wagon train. Your chances are slim in this situation. The method is to catch them when they stray from the group, but that got shot down due to shear numbers of people in the bar.

Like reaper said, stay fresh and alert to new venues. Throw your own parties. And for the sake of copulation, DON'T dress like CptPower. Half the guys on U Street had those dorky shirts on. A good blazer will go far there. Always dress different from the herd.

Quote: (04-18-2013 11:42 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I didn't go to U Street to get laid. Divorco asked me to observe and compare to his experience and to those opinions on the forum, and all I accomplished was seeing what you guys do. I didn't see horrible ratios, but girls were huddled in groups. I felt like an Indian trying to attack a circled wagon train. Your chances are slim in this situation. The method is to catch them when they stray from the group, but that got shot down due to shear numbers of people in the bar.

Like reaper said, stay fresh and alert to new venues. Throw your own parties. And for the sake of copulation, DON'T dress like CptPower. Half the guys on U Street had those dorky shirts on. A good blazer will go far there. Always dress different from the herd.

Speaking of U Street bars, I was talking to this chick last night and during the course of the conversation I asked where she likes to go out in DC. (I like gathering Intel from the other side). Found out that American Ice Company and the Satellite Room are good places to go "when you just want to hang out with your friends and not be bothered by guys."

So yea, avoid those two if you're looking swoop chicks. Not saying it couldn't happen, but knock 'em down your list of spots.