rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bang Osaka

Bang Osaka

This thread will be dedicated to my stay in Ôsaka, which will begin next Thursday and is intended to last for the following twelve months. I decided to start over from this thread and turn this one basically into a long, progressive datasheet. I'll have to see when and how frequently I can post, depending on how busy I am. Although Skotch's 100 Approach Study Japan also seems to cover Ôsaka, I think it will be interesting to offer a perspective from someone who's Japanese is little more than just basic conversational, at best. I'm also interested in hearing any other pointers from others that have not yet been covered in previous threads.

Quick description of myself: white (in appearance, at least) tall (187 cm / c. 6'2), broad shoulders, short, brown curly hair, average looking. VERY deep voice...think an exagerated Darth Vader and Tay Zonday to get an idea. I grew up for half my life in the US and the other half in Germany, so I speak both languages fluently and have no particular identification with either country. As said above, Japanese skills are little more than basic, though I can read much more due to having learned Chinese.

As said above, I hope to start posting either end of next week or after.

To be continued...

Bang Osaka

Awesome enjoy your stay! What are you doing there? Working in any way? I hope you will give some info about cost of living.

Bang Osaka

White and tall you say? Congrats man. You're instantly the most
desirable foreigner anywhere you go in that city. It actually wouldn't
hurt to dye your hair blonde too. Seriously. There will be foreigners
in Osaka but not as many as Tokyo, and not as strong of a "Nampa"
culture like Tokyo. Osaka for a white dude is as close to poosy
paradise as it gets in a developed country. I'd start off at
"international parties" as they are easy meat markets, then work my
way up from there.

However the first thing you need to realize when you land is unless
you know the game and how to use it with Jgirls you'll be beating off
a lot in the beginning. Feel free to read some of my earlier posts
where I break down Jgirl logic better, but to summerize: numbers don't
mean shit! Any Gaijin can get a number. You need to put in the extra
time to make her a) not forget about you, and b) justify in her pretty
little head why she should meet you again. Unless you do that, your
emails will go unanswered, unless she's just REALLY hot for white
dick, and even then will put up a front like she doesn't like you
especially if she's a super hot Gyaru in Namba. Most stunning Jgirls,
like stunning girls in any country, have all the resources and dick
they need right there at home, so will see no need to mess with you.
And will speak no English. You're already on the right track learning
Nihongo. That'll a) get you access to Jgirls that most Gaijin can't
touch (i.e. the hot ones) and b) allow you to get along better with
her friends/family should you decide to LTR her. Cause Japanese people
are horrible at English.

Kansai girls tend to be a lot sweeter than Tokyo girls, so what I'm
saying might be mostly Tokyo rules. But the little bit of time I spent
hitting the pavement in Namba taught me that tight Jgirl game is
necessary everywhere. Just because the girls are sweeter don't mean
they're easier to fuck. You need to FOLLOW THRU with that number.
Insta-date, kiss close, some kind of physical contact, etc. Or else,
you'll never see her again, and will have a phone full of numbers and
that's all.

There's a group of guys called pickupasia that do bootcamps. All those
guys are from Osaka and are the best at picking up girls there.
There's also a forum called Jlair or something. Like this forum but
specialized for PUA's in Japan.

Bang Osaka

White and tall you say? Congrats man. You're instantly the most
desirable foreigner anywhere you go in that city. It actually wouldn't
hurt to dye your hair blonde too. Seriously. There will be foreigners
in Osaka but not as many as Tokyo, and not as strong of a "Nampa"
culture like Tokyo. Osaka for a white dude is as close to poosy
paradise as it gets in a developed country. I'd start off at
"international parties" as they are easy meat markets, then work my
way up from there.

However the first thing you need to realize when you land is unless
you know the game and how to use it with Jgirls you'll be beating off
a lot in the beginning. Feel free to read some of my earlier posts
where I break down Jgirl logic better, but to summerize: numbers don't
mean shit! Any Gaijin can get a number. You need to put in the extra
time to make her a) not forget about you, and b) justify in her pretty
little head why she should meet you again. Unless you do that, your
emails will go unanswered, unless she's just REALLY hot for white
dick, and even then will put up a front like she doesn't like you
especially if she's a super hot Gyaru in Namba. Most stunning Jgirls,
like stunning girls in any country, have all the resources and dick
they need right there at home, so will see no need to mess with you.
And will speak no English. You're already on the right track learning
Nihongo. That'll a) get you access to Jgirls that most Gaijin can't
touch (i.e. the hot ones) and b) allow you to get along better with
her friends/family should you decide to LTR her. Cause Japanese people
are horrible at English.

Kansai girls tend to be a lot sweeter than Tokyo girls, so what I'm
saying might be mostly Tokyo rules. But the little bit of time I spent
hitting the pavement in Namba taught me that tight Jgirl game is
necessary everywhere. Just because the girls are sweeter don't mean
they're easier to fuck. You need to FOLLOW THRU with that number.
Insta-date, kiss close, some kind of physical contact, etc. Or else,
you'll never see her again, and will have a phone full of numbers and
that's all.

There's a group of guys called pickupasia that do bootcamps. All those
guys are from Osaka and are the best at picking up girls there.
There's also a forum called Jlair or something. Like this forum but
specialized for PUA's in Japan.

Bang Osaka

good luck and keep us posted. looking forward to that datasheet

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)

Bang Osaka

Good luck man! I'll following this with great interest as it's a dream of mine to spend a year in Japan in a city other than Tokyo and Osaka is very high on that list!

Are you teaching there? studying the lingo or working as an expat?
Looking forward for your updates and posts from the ground!

Enjoy man!

AIE,
Thanks for the intell on Jgirls/J culture! Always enjoyed your insight! you should start a thread with just your experience there as I'm sure you know a shit ton about J girls and J culture, probably more than any one on this board! It would be a terrific resource for all of us interested in Japan and J girls!

Cheers man!

Bang Osaka

@VP
I'll be a student there for two semesters.

@AIE
Yeah, I'm somewhat aware of Japanese flakiness already. It was mentioned in the 100 Approach thread, plus I've encountered a lot of flakey Japanese students here in Germany. Of course, I'll have to see when I get there, but it sounds like clubs/bars and insta-dates will be the the direction to aim towards.

Other than that, I guess only time will tell. First month I'm going to try to get an estimate of cost of living before I start going out regularly. I'm interested in seeing whether Japan will live up to its hype as this poon utopia. Of course, the girls are only one of many reasons I'm going there, as I've been interested in Japanese culture and the language for quite a while. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

Bang Osaka

You might be surprised how much cash you go through. I was in Kyoto-Osaka during this past winter, stayed till february. Osaka has much nice weather btw.

I was there visiting the LTR, so my gaming was limited to not much, just now and then sportsman approaches.

Im my estimates, I think I blew about $200CAN a week, trying to keep it cheap by eating ramen and in Izakayas. I drank little, gets expensive. I cooked now and then, but mostly ate out. . .I chalk it up to necessary research, others might have different priorities and save more. On the other hand, its cheap to buy (shockingly good!) sake at the 7-11 and get your drink on the street as pregame.

I found that the transport really adds up really quickly. Did you get the JR pass? I wish I had. Saves you a ton of $$ esp if your pad is near a JR station. Even if you will be there longer than 2 months, and dont travel much it would help you explore, check out whats what. Hell you could go to Tokyo, party hard and take the train back to Osaka every weekend.
Osaka at least is a little cheaper for food than Kyoto, though not that much.

I stayed at her place, so no rent. Well, Paid in good dickin'.

Any questions Im happy to answer.

Bang Osaka

I'm also interested in hearing about experiences with escalation. I’m told public displays of affection are someone of a taboo. Should I wait to get them in a private setting before escalating or is it okay to escalate in public?

Bang Osaka

JAPAN!!!

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy getting settled in and also haven't been able to get internet access for the past few days.

Ôsaka:

Current situation: I’ve been in Japan since 28th March. I’m currently studying at a Japanese university just outside of Ôsaka-shi in Daitô-Shi 大東市. I currently reside in a dorm for foreign students that can house up to eight people (women on the second floor, men on the first. I’m probably the only Westerner in the entire town (I’ve seen one other so far), and probably one of the only English speakers.
Fortunately, Chinese students make up about 10% of the student body of the university. Since I speak Chinese and my Japanese is only basic, I’ve been relying on them to help me out alot. Without Chinese I’d probably be completely lost. As a result, pretty much everyone I’ve been hanging out with here aside from hitting on girls so far has been Chinese/Taiwanese people. Although this is a good way to keep my Chinese in shape, I came here more with the intent of improving my Japanese, and when I speak the latter for too long, I often end up forgetting the former.
Fortunately, being the only White-looking male in sight for miles, I'm also in a Japanese class full of almost nothing but Chinese and Korean girls. One of my roommates is also a Chinese girl, but I don't plan on starting anything with her.

First impression of Japan: In short, I fucking LOVE Japan!!! I was hooked the moment I got off the plane. This has to be the coolest place I’ve visited yet. The Japanese are by far the most civilized, considerate, most respectful and politest people I’ve ever encountered…basically they’re the exact opposite of the Chinese. The food and the service are phenomenal, the culture here is fucking fantastic. The more I see of this place the more I like it. If my impression remains this positive I’d definitely like to extend my stay here well beyond a year. As I’ll elaborate below, the women are fantastic…jaw droppingly gorgeous, but even if they were average or below, Japan would be more than worth the visit. I’ve never considered myself much of a Japanophile, but I’m definitely turning into one while here. The only problem is the language. While I can engage in chitchat with Japanese people, anything more than that and I reach my limits, which can prove challenging.

The women: after coming from Germany, I was floored by how many hot women I saw when I got off the plane. Japanese women seem to be among the best dressed I’ve seen so far. In my part of Germany, I’d have to walk around in a crowded area all day most of the time to find a (local) girl that I’d consider moderately attractive. At Kansai International, I saw a hot girl every time I turned my head.
Walking around any reasonably crowded area, you’ll notice about 70-80% of women dress and act extremely classy and sexy. They generally have impeccable taste (again, the exact opposite of the Chinese). In terms of quality, you can’t go wrong. You’re only likely to have a problem if curves, breasts and asses are important to you, as Asians in general don’t tend to be that voluptuous. Other than that, they have great skin and beautiful, long legs (despite being relatively short), which they love to show off.

Approaching: I have to admit, I’ve been a bit lazy in my approaches. This is partially due to the fact that I got laid with a very cute Korean girl the night before my departure (former FB, we hadn’t seen each other in about a year, best sex I’d had in ages, probably because we were both extremely horny that night), while I had also banged a Chinese girl shortly before. Other than that, I was more preoccupied with the sights and my surroundings than hitting on girls (again, even if you don’t bang a single girl here, this place is more than worth the visit). However, as far as approaching goes, I can say the following: difficulty for someone like me with only basic Japanese skills seems medium.

As for nampa and being called out on it: I cannot confirm Skotch’s story about being called out for Nampa all the time…so far, it hasn’t happened once to me at all. I did spot a group of nampa-shi hanging around that little square Kyôbashi station 京橋駅. Basically, these guys have no game whatsoever. You can spot them from a mile away dressed in this typical Japanese trendy/girly-boy manner while standing around acting like they’re waiting for someone. Once they’ve worked up the courage to talk to a girl who passes by, they get ignored and the girl walks on a few seconds after they've opened their mouths. I kinda feel sorry for them. It is not difficult to avoid being associated with these guys...just don't act like them, and if possible, avoid their hangouts. Even though I approached a girl directly next to where they were standing around, I was at least able to strike up a decent conversation and keep her attention (no number, though), which is more than can be said for these guys. Playing stupid lost foreigner game seems to help pretty well at opening them.

Most of my approaches were around Kyôbashi, Ôsaka-Castle大阪城 and along the river (“Ôkawa” 大川, I think it’s called). The girls are very formal and extremely polite whenever I approach them…almost eerily so, and that can make it a bit difficult for me to break the ice. They also give some of the politest rejections I’ve ever received. Basically they’ll never outright refuse you, but they’ll just politely bow and repeatedly deflect the conversation instead of going somewhere with you or giving you their number.

Language: before arriving in Japan, I had spent about 18 months taking part in a Japanese course that took place about twice a week (later once a week). The Japanese I learned there has brought me to a level I would call “basic conversational”. It’s definitely enough to get around and engage in conversation and simple banter. I’d say if you’re planning on coming here, especially if you want to hook up with women, you’ll need to know at least some of the language when you arrive. My suggestion would be to learn some for at least a year before you come here. To reiterate, no one speaks English here, so don’t expect to get by with that.

Costs: Japan is not cheap. In just four days, I spent about 13,000 Yen (c. 110 €, maybe $130), though I was careless and ended up eating out relatively often. If you cook at home regularly and keep an eye on your wallet, you should be able to manage.

More info coming soon.

Bang Osaka

if you know chinese how much easier does that make the japanese characters to learn? how much overlap?

Bang Osaka

Chinese characters and Japanese Kanji are basically exactly the same script, so you'll be able to read the meaning of the majority anything written in Kanji. Some characters are slightly different, and many have a different meaning in Japanese than in Chinese, but basically, you'll be able to understand what something means. Problem is, the pronunciation is completely different 99% of the time. You've also got the problem that each character has a butt load of different pronunciations...so much that even the Japanese often don't know how to pronounce a name.

Other than the script and Chinese loanwords (again, their pronunciation is nearly unrecognizable as Chinese), the two languages are completely different, both in terms of grammar and pronunciation. Japanese people are also the complete oposite of the Chinese in many ways.

Bang Osaka

I'm basically going to write this in a somewhat similar fashion to the 100 Approach study in the Newb thread.

Korean girl, Ôsaka-Jô

Opened an average looking Korean girl (about 6) in front of the entrance to Ôsaka Castle. Asked her if she could take my picture and started chatting her up in Japanese. Turns out she's an exchange student, too. We spend the rest of the evening walking around the castle. In hind sight I should've escalated more, but was too lazy and not interested enough. She gave me her number and email address saying we should meet up sometime again and hang out. Not sure if I feel like contacting her.

Station, Daitô-shi :

Ended up getting off at the wrong stop in Daitô-shi after coming back from Ôsaka-Jô. Chat up a hot girl in high heels and a short skirt (8/10, a lot of Japanese girls love showing off their legs and wearing high heels [Image: tard.gif]). I ask how to get back to my uni Campus. She walks me back to the station and asks the guy working there (Japanese will very often go out of their way to help you, even with the smallest things). We walk back outside and continue to chat. Looks like she loses interest and starts bowing, saying she has to go. No number from this one.

Starbucks:

Sit next to a cute girl at Starbucks (about an 8, maybe 7.5 for lack of a butt), asking her for the wifi password. She goes out of her way to help me, too. Seems pretty interested. We talk for about 45 min and exchange numbers and email. Don't know whether she'll flake or not...we'll see.

Chinese girl:

There's a meeting at my university for the foreign students: almost all girls, mostly Chinese, some Korean. Afterwards, a cute Chinese from Qingdao walks up to me and chats me up in Chinese (she'd heard me talking to my Taiwanese roommate earlier). She asks for my email (she has no Japanese phone number, yet), suggesting we should meet up. Saw her again this morning, and we chatted a bit, again see says we should get in touch again when I have time (I believe "ni you shijian de shihou, keyi zai lianxi 你有时间的时候可以再联系" or something similar, were the words she used, but I can't remember). Doesn't really count as an approach, I guess, but what the hell.

Bang Osaka

Quote: (04-03-2013 10:05 AM)Sargon of Akkad Wrote:  

Chinese characters and Japanese Kanji are basically exactly the same script, so you'll be able to read the meaning of the majority anything written in Kanji. Some characters are slightly different, and many have a different meaning in Japanese than in Chinese, but basically, you'll be able to understand what something means. Problem is, the pronunciation is completely different 99% of the time. You've also got the problem that each character has a butt load of different pronunciations...so much that even the Japanese often don't know how to pronounce a name.

Other than the script and Chinese loanwords (again, their pronunciation is nearly unrecognizable as Chinese), the two languages are completely different, both in terms of grammar and pronunciation. Japanese people are also the complete oposite of the Chinese in many ways.

i was in japan for a day and i noticed half the characters were based on fantizi but the other half looked completely different. i dont mean to hijack the thread, just curious

Bang Osaka

Yeah, most of the Kanji are based on fantizi, but some of them look like jiantizi, so you'll sometimes see a single word where half the characters look like jianti and the other half like fanti. There are a few that are written differently from the Chinese variants, though.

Bang Osaka

yes thats what i mean! ill see a sign that goes from complex stuff to what looks like a bunch of super random squiggled

Bang Osaka

Meeting girls from off the street has been proving somewhat tricky as of late.

I usually open by asking for directions in Japanese. The girls will gladly show you where it is and you can usually get some conversation going, but after a few minutes, they'll usually give an excuse to leave. This didn't happen that much back home, so something must be different. Not entirely sure what needs to be fixed here. I'll have to keep probing.

Other than that Namba 難波 and Shinsaibashi 心斎橋 seem to be good places to chat up girls.

Also, I'm amazed at how many Chinese people you find in Osaka. So far, almost all the friends I've made on campus are Chinese (I end up speaking more Mandarin than Japanese). Shinsaibashi is also packed with Chinese tourists.

Bang Osaka

Quote: (04-03-2013 10:32 AM)Sargon of Akkad Wrote:  

I'm basically going to write this in a somewhat similar fashion to the 100 Approach study in the Newb thread.

Korean girl, Ôsaka-Jô

Opened an average looking Korean girl (about 6) in front of the entrance to Ôsaka Castle. Asked her if she could take my picture and started chatting her up in Japanese. Turns out she's an exchange student, too. We spend the rest of the evening walking around the castle. In hind sight I should've escalated more, but was too lazy and not interested enough. She gave me her number and email address saying we should meet up sometime again and hang out. Not sure if I feel like contacting her.

Station, Daitô-shi :

Ended up getting off at the wrong stop in Daitô-shi after coming back from Ôsaka-Jô. Chat up a hot girl in high heels and a short skirt (8/10, a lot of Japanese girls love showing off their legs and wearing high heels [Image: tard.gif]). I ask how to get back to my uni Campus. She walks me back to the station and asks the guy working there (Japanese will very often go out of their way to help you, even with the smallest things). We walk back outside and continue to chat. Looks like she loses interest and starts bowing, saying she has to go. No number from this one.

Starbucks:

Sit next to a cute girl at Starbucks (about an 8, maybe 7.5 for lack of a butt), asking her for the wifi password. She goes out of her way to help me, too. Seems pretty interested. We talk for about 45 min and exchange numbers and email. Don't know whether she'll flake or not...we'll see.

Chinese girl:

There's a meeting at my university for the foreign students: almost all girls, mostly Chinese, some Korean. Afterwards, a cute Chinese from Qingdao walks up to me and chats me up in Chinese (she'd heard me talking to my Taiwanese roommate earlier). She asks for my email (she has no Japanese phone number, yet), suggesting we should meet up. Saw her again this morning, and we chatted a bit, again see says we should get in touch again when I have time (I believe "ni you shijian de shihou, keyi zai lianxi 你有时间的时候可以再联系" or something similar, were the words she used, but I can't remember). Doesn't really count as an approach, I guess, but what the hell.

Great report(s) so far keep up the good work. I have only been to Japan once but loved it - and thought the women were pretty attractive as well. As you said, people are incredibly polite - I had a taxi driver walk me to the place I was going when I didn't have the exact address, and an old man bought me a beer in a restaurant when he found out I was American in Kyoto. I was there as a total Beta with my gf at the time, but would love to go back and work the ladies, but would think lack of Japanese would make it a bit tricky.

Re Starbucks...I went to one in Tokyo 7-8 years ago, do they still yell "Konichi wa" at you upon entering? I thought that was pretty cool....but at first it sort of shocked me...right as I came inside all three of the barristas greeted me from behind the counter so it was almost like I was making a grand entrance.

2015 RVF fantasy football champion

Bang Osaka

Quote: (04-06-2013 10:35 AM)Akula Wrote:  

Great report(s) so far keep up the good work. I have only been to Japan once but loved it - and thought the women were pretty attractive as well. As you said, people are incredibly polite - I had a taxi driver walk me to the place I was going when I didn't have the exact address, and an old man bought me a beer in a restaurant when he found out I was American in Kyoto. I was there as a total Beta with my gf at the time, but would love to go back and work the ladies, but would think lack of Japanese would make it a bit tricky.

Re Starbucks...I went to one in Tokyo 7-8 years ago, do they still yell "Konichi wa" at you upon entering? I thought that was pretty cool....but at first it sort of shocked me...right as I came inside all three of the barristas greeted me from behind the counter so it was almost like I was making a grand entrance.

They'll always shout "irasshaimase!" (welcome) in pretty much any shop whenever you enter. This is normal.

That's one thing I also enjoy about Japan: the service is excellent。

Bang Osaka

Quote: (04-04-2013 06:57 PM)Sargon of Akkad Wrote:  

I usually open by asking for directions in Japanese. The girls will gladly show you where it is and you can usually get some conversation going, but after a few minutes, they'll usually give an excuse to leave. This didn't happen that much back home, so something must be different. Not entirely sure what needs to be fixed here. I'll have to keep probing.

Other than that Namba 難波 and Shinsaibashi 心斎橋 seem to be good places to chat up girls.

Also, I'm amazed at how many Chinese people you find in Osaka. So far, almost all the friends I've made on campus are Chinese (I end up speaking more Mandarin than Japanese). Shinsaibashi is also packed with Chinese tourists.

The girls here are extremely nice, even if they have boyfriends and are married they will sometimes go out of their way to help you. This doesn't always mean they are interested in you.

Nothing you can do about it, except you might want to screen a little more, ask if they have a boyfriend, tell them you already asked the manager/staff where that place was and now you are asking her.

Asking for directions and fishing for number is good, you can also try taking them to starbucks.

Bang Osaka

Quote: (04-06-2013 08:01 PM)memcpy Wrote:  

Quote: (04-04-2013 06:57 PM)Sargon of Akkad Wrote:  

The girls here are extremely nice, even if they have boyfriends and are married they will sometimes go out of their way to help you. This doesn't always mean they are interested in you.

Nothing you can do about it, except you might want to screen a little more, ask if they have a boyfriend, tell them you already asked the manager/staff where that place was and now you are asking her.

Asking for directions and fishing for number is good, you can also try taking them to starbucks.

The starbucks suggestion is sound as it relates to compliance.

Compliance is King in Asia.

Looking for IOIs is kinda pointless as Asians are typically more polite and mostly the IOIs don't seem to lead to anything solid whereas Compliance will (as you will very quickly get very little compliance unless the girl is actually interested in you)

So bouncing girls to another venue, kino, inquiring about personal info and time bridging are all good ways to test for compliance.

Bang Osaka

Two Typical Approaches at Namba and Shinsaibashi

Opened a young girl waiting at a corner in Namba about five minutes from the metro station. She's short, just slightly above average in appearance (6.5). I ask her how to get to Shinsaibashi from here and start chatting while she explains the way (I already know where it is, though). I say I'm new here and I've only been here (Osaka) for a week. Turns out she's from Kobe. I ask which of the two cities she thinks is better.
"Kobe" she says.
"You're just saying that because you're from Kobe!"
She giggles and says "No, really. Kobe is better."
We chat for about five minutes. In the meantime I ask if there's a Starbucks nearby. After another minute or so I suggest that we go to a coffee shop together. She says she's meeting her friend in a few minutes. We bow and I'm on my way. Oh well.

At Shinsaibashi I open another girl, again asking where I can find a Starbucks. We chat for a while, again for about five minutes until I suggest that we go together. She laughs and says she has to return home, but she can walk me there. Upon arriving I get her number and email address, but I can already tell by her body language that it's probably just a flake. Still, it won't hurt to try.

These are basically typical examples of my approaches so far in Osaka. The girls are usually friendly and fun to chat with, so I'm not really bothered about the results. As said before, I've been a bit lazy. So far that's about 9 approaches, 4 numbers, 1 date, 0 bangs thusfar.

More Nampa Guys

In the name of all that's holy, I cannot understand how these Nampa guys can suck so badly. I saw more of them lurking around SSB and Kyobashi yesterday. They get blown out immediately on a nearly consistant basis. How the fuck is this possible? I mean, they show comittment, and I can understand if you occasionally encounter the rude girl who doesn't want to talk to you, but how retarded do you have to be to realize that if your getting blown out nearly every time there's something about your tactics you need to change?

I mean, how hard can it possibly be to start a simple conversation and at least keep a girl's attention for five minutes in a big city? It really isn't be that difficult. There are tourists everywhere: If going direct doesn't work, ask for directions, ask someone to take a picture of you, engage in basic chitchat and see how far you can proceed beyond. This...this doesn't take fucking Jedi-mind tricks, you just need *basic* human interaction skills.

I'm walking down the street and suddenly this guy springs out of nowhere like some Vietkong guerilla ambush next to these two girls walking next to me. He basically leans into the ear of one of them and they both back away chuckling with their hands in front of them politely declining until he gives up. Not so much as a second later, he leans into some other girl's face, who's talking on her phone. She speeds past him and ignores him completely. This is hillarious. Maybe I should be glad they're not doing this in coffee shops or asking directions, otherwise that'd mean more trouble for me. Basically, in my experience, it is not hard to avoid being called out for nampa, just don't act like these guys.

Hosts and Hostesses

Near SSB I approached this FINE girl waiting around the tourist areas, only loses a point for dying her hair blond and wearing blue contacts, which looks weird and makes her seem like an anime character (7). While chatting to her I notice she seems preoccupied and has somewhat of a professional vibe to her. I look around and happen to notice a bunch of other girls (and guys) standing around the corner dressed in a similar fashion. Ejected after that.

You seem to find a lot of hostess and host clubs around SSB. Basically, these are women and men who are payed large amounts of money to sit, drink and flirt with clients. Some of the cheaper ones are also semi-pros as well, but most of the time it's only flirting and entertainment, basically they're like geisha's with skimpy clothing and stylish hair (I first heard about them from my ex-GF, who said she'd worked as a hostess in Ginsa a few years back). You can see them lined up along the sidewalk, approaching potential clients, though whether they're non-pro or semi-pro I don't know. Either way they seem to leave the foreigners alone.

Bang Osaka

Quote: (04-08-2013 08:00 PM)Sargon of Akkad Wrote:  

Near SSB I approached this fin FINE girl waiting around the tourist areas, only loses a point for dying her hair blond and wearing blue contacts, which looks weird and makes her seem like an anime character (7). While chatting to her I notice she seems preoccupied and has somewhat of a professional vibe to her.

I suggest forgetting about Kyobashi and Dotonburi etc, unless you have a thing for kyabakura girls. A girl with blond hair and blue contacts hanging out near the Dotonburi bridge is not a regular girl. She's a pro, semi-pro, or at least attention whore and basically low class. Why bother? Especially as this demographic isn't generally into foreigners. (Disclaimer: feel free to score one or two of them to get that "gyaru" notch. I did, but there was nothing great about it)

Try Lucua or Hep 5 for the hottest girls in Osaka. Just run some elderly or confused tourist game and you will get some results. I don't find day game to be easy in Japan, but it's doable. Nothing like scoring one of those dolled up early 20s girls who haven't even dated a foreigner before and aren't sluts like the gothic lolita chicks who hang around Namba.

Edit: no need to bow to random girls you meet. If they bow deeply (which is not a good sign as it means you are in the revered recipient of tatemae category) just give them a slight inflection in return.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Bang Osaka

On a side note, it's possible I don't get called out for nampa because I'm foreign and I look like a tourist, someone from whom I'd guess most Japanese girls don't expect this kind of thing. I'm not sure how the girls would react to me if I was Asian. Possibly they'd immediately think I'm namping them or something, is Skotch Asian, by the way?

Even if you look like you could pass for one of the locals, however, and you get shit from street approaches. I think this can easily be avoided in coffee shops and, when on the street, just with a BIT more subtlety. Don't dress like a Japanese variant of Mystery in drag, don't jump at women from out of the bushes and don't loiter in the middle of open spaces looking like your there just to pickup girls and you should do fine.

Bang Osaka

@ Rawgod:

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that.

As far as gyaru and those blond/blue-contact girls are concerned, I may try one if I get the chance, but they're not my type. I'm a sucker for Asian girls with natural black hair. At the bridge, I was basically wandering around as a tourist and the girls I saw I just happened to pass by.