rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Superman writer dismissed for not being gay friendly enough?

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/03/o...man-comic/

Note the first sentence in the article where the smirky writer switches between gay marriage opponent and homophobe.
Guess it's OK to come out Gay but not Mormon.

Vox Day had a post about this: http://voxday.blogspot.com/2013/02/when-...-rule.html

Essentially he says Card isn't referred to as one of the best-selling science fiction writers ever, but rather as a homophobe. Being a homophobe cancels out everything else you could possibly accomplish in life.

I never really liked any of Card's books. If you reread any of his books it's always disappointing.

Sure, "Ender's Game" was pretty good to read just once. I was about 14 at the time and it was a pretty good mind trip. Once you venture out into the "Enderverse", on either storylines, it just gets cornier and shittier. Card had one pretty good idea for "Ender's Game" but unfortunately you can't ride that out four or five thousand pages into the fictional horizon without your horrible fucking legion of author mouthpieces and Mary-Sues bludgeoning the reader with their seemingly homogeneous lack of personalities, stupid purity complexes, shitty, slutty, delusional behavior, bizarre group dynamics, and overarching narcissism.

Sometimes I just wanted almost all of the "main" characters that I never gave a shit about to get murdered and raped so one could survive and make the story interesting, since there were seemingly no protagonists outside of "man's urge to wage war on weird looking lifeforms". What made me really angry was that Card occasionally murdered off main characters but I never had the impulse to feel bad. Not once.

Also, there were so many boring ass political and metaphysical conversations in the last two books that were basically repeated less and less competently as last two books went on that I got the feeling that the books were no different than a drunk and steadily-drunker conservative ideologue shouting by himself into an empty room. Since many of the characters share philosophically identical viewpoints I lost track of who everyone was several times, as they made no effort to differentiate themselves. What really cracked me up was that in the very last few pages of "Children of the Mind", Ender's wife who never had sex with him and the children he didn't sire all basically agreed that the death of this great man was a good thing, and that they were getting tired of him. It's clear to me that the author got sick as hell of writing the book. He should have spared himself the effort of 950 dismal pages and instead wrote a decent 250 page novel.

I'm not hating on the guy, he is plenty successful and his works are usually enjoyable, I just wished that whoever his editor was rejected his last two books and most of the "Ender's Shadow" series. It was a bad finish to a great start. He's a great author and he is very active in the creative writing community, and is the only guy who's earned a Hugo and Nebula award in consecutive years, to my knowledge. I guess you can tell that I was pretty disappointed by the two books following (Xenocide and Children of the Mind).

To get back on track, I never knew Card was a homophobe. From reading his books I got the feeling that he was a Hitler apologist. "Ender's Game" is basically a very elaborate setup for creating a genocidal manlet with plausible deniability. Ender Wiggin was/is essentially Hitler.

One of the comments summed it up best: "Not tolerating intolerance=double negative."

In the new Man Of Steel, Superman should get spit-roasted by two of Lex Luthor's henchman. They can call it reperation for this guy having an opinion.

OK, so question. This is an all-male forum of heavy internet users. I know we have some heavy geeks here.

Does anybody here actually read superman comic books?

Quote: (03-07-2013 08:35 AM)Faust Wrote:  

OK, so question. This is an all-male forum of heavy internet users. I know we have some heavy geeks here.

Whenever I'm at the book store, I grab a copy to read.

Short and easy to digest, normally if I'm waiting for someone I waste my time reading comic books. Plus if you're reading something, it doesn't seem strange to people, allowing for game time

Quote: (03-07-2013 08:35 AM)Faust Wrote:  

No. However I have a friend who is so gay rainbows fly out of his mouth every time he speaks.

That guy reads superman comic books.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

Red Sun was pretty good. In it Super man ends up in the Soviet Union and becomes a hero there. He ends up fighting with a terrorist Batman and against America and Lex Luther. Excellent artwork and costumes. And its not pro communist either which was likely due to the liberal stances of most comic books.

Kingdom Come deals with an older Superman. I don't remember the plot but it was interesting. The big thing with this is the artwork is from Alex Ross. Every single image is referenced and he has incredible understanding of lighting. Also like his golden age style Not a fan of his over the top politics outside of the comic though. And he overdoes the under camera shots. However every single panel in the comic books he makes is that level of polish or more.

[Image: dc-comics-kingdom-come_1116.jpg]

Are Muslims held to the same standard as Mormons? Don't they have similar views on the topic? Is he now also refusing to work with every Muslim?