rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Olympics Is Dropping Wrestling In 2020

Quote:Quote:

IOC leaders dropped wrestling from the Olympic program on Tuesday, a surprise decision that removes one of the oldest Olympic sports from the 2020 Games.

The IOC executive board decided to retain modern pentathlon — the event considered most at risk — and remove wrestling instead from its list of 25 "core sports."

The decision was first reported by The Associated Press.
The IOC board acted after reviewing the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.

Wrestling, which combines freestyle and Greco-Roman events, goes back to the inaugural modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.
"This is a process of renewing and renovating the program for the Olympics," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "In the view of the executive board, this was the best program for the Olympic Games in 2020. It's not a case of what's wrong with wrestling, it is what's right with the 25 core sports."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-olymp...z2KhmUO3li

Pretty lame.

While unfortunate I understand the decision. The rules have been very unclear and opaque which has resulted in many controversial decisions (such as this) that has left the sport wide open for allegations of corruption.

Holy shit!

I just read the story. It's kind of sad, in that it's an original Olympic sport. For that reason alone, it should always be a part of the Olympic program. Boxing has had MORE than their share of controversial scoring decisions, yet would they ever consider removing boxing? I'm sure this is all about sports they feel can attract attention re: advertising dollars during airtime. They don't really televise much of the wrestling competition live anyway, so this decision doesn't make much sense to me. Due to Title IX nonsense, wrestling is getting dropped by some colleges because it isn't a revenue-producing sport, but it's still a popular sport at the high school and college levels. Lots of MMA fighters have a wrestling background. This is truly disappointing.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

That's really fucking sad, fuck. Greco Roman is one of the 'original' sports back in the bc era. Very very sad

Never understood why track/tennis/baskeball/swimming/soccer pros can compete, yet boxing pros cannot.

Dumb if you ask me.

Besides women's gymnastics and swimming (both genders) it's not even taken seriously. Just something people have on TV at night when there's nothing else on.

I saw this headline today.

What are they honestly thinking?

Am I right in thinking wrestling is as old as time, up there with boxing in Olympic tradtions?

Wrestling is a difficult sport to master, it takes skill, strength and determination to outwit your opponent.

Notice the trend here? No one in modern society wants to take the time to learn a skill, spend years becoming strong or have any discipline or determination to see things through when something goes wrong.

I guess that's why wrestling is off the agenda.

I truly hope that they dont drop synchronized swimming. Now that would be really disappointing.

Quote: (02-12-2013 06:15 PM)dk902 Wrote:  

Am I right in thinking wrestling is as old as time, up there with boxing in Olympic tradtions?

Wrestling is a difficult sport to master, it takes skill, strength and determination to outwit your opponent.

Notice the trend here? No one in modern society wants to take the time to learn a skill, spend years becoming strong or have any discipline or determination to see things through when something goes wrong.

Yeah wrestling was an original Olympic event. [Image: 040723_ancient_olympics_hmed_3p.hmedium.jpg]

That's cool. They drop one of the oldest sports of all time, yet volleyball gets to keep going.

They should call it the O-limpdicks.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

They decide to drop the first combat sport that man ever codified and instead they push 'synchronised swimming'. This shit is all fucked up, I blame the gays.

Quote: (02-12-2013 06:41 PM)GBG Wrote:  

Yeah wrestling was an original Olympic event. [Image: 040723_ancient_olympics_hmed_3p.hmedium.jpg]

Hell, I think Boxing and Wrestling could be argued as being the first ever sports period.

Don't you think?

Quote: (02-12-2013 07:16 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (02-12-2013 06:41 PM)GBG Wrote:  

Hell, I think Boxing and Wrestling could be argued as being the first ever sports period.

Don't you think?

Men have always engaged in mano-a-mano combat, either with hands or weapons. Often if was in war, but men also engaged in contests of strength for other spoils, or as passages to manhood. An argument could be made that they were the first sports.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

What about hunting?

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Man... they took out baseball last Olympics. Now they're taking out Wrestling. I'm sure the next sport they replace will be another stable of men. Why don't we just hurry up and skip to the part where every sport that is manly is replaced with title 9 and women's sports already so I can stop giving a damn about the Olympics.

I was always of the opinion that only the original sports should be allowed in the Olympics.

"What is important is to try to develop insights and wisdom rather than mere knowledge, respect someone's character rather than his learning, and nurture men of character rather than mere talents." - Inazo Nitobe

When i´m feeling blue, when i just need something to shock me up, i look at this thread and everything get better!

Letters from the battlefront: Argentina

Too masculine?

Well aslong as we have rhythmic gymnastics

Lol at guys thinking there is an anti-male conspiracy that is pushing to drop all the "manly" sports. You're seeing "the enemy" in everything. The leftists are out there to getcha! Maybe you should unplug from the manosphere a bit.

Wrestling's dropped because it is a less viewed event = lower television ratings = lower advertising dollars = less money for the IOC. Pure and simple

Quote: (02-12-2013 10:31 PM)the_conductor Wrote:  

Lol at guys thinking there is an anti-male conspiracy that is pushing to drop all the "manly" sports. You're seeing "the enemy" in everything. The leftists are out there to getcha! Maybe you should unplug from the manosphere a bit.

Wrestling's dropped because it is a less viewed event = lower television ratings = lower advertising dollars = less money for the IOC. Pure and simple

Then why'd they just put in women's boxing? If it was all about money, that was a pretty dumb move.

From the New York Times

Quote:Quote:

The I.O.C. may have also grown frustrated that Greco-Roman wrestling did not include women, experts said. Women began participating in freestyle wrestling at the 2004 Athens Games.

I'd say it's both - money and feminism. Greco-Roman Wrestling checked off neither box, so it's getting the boot. A sport must either make money or tickle some feminist's clit with female representation, or get axed. Wrestling was both, plus unreprentantly masculine and traditional. Also corrupt, but who knows if that was a factor anyway. They could've axed just the women's freestyle wrestling, but I'd bet that would be taken as a huge step 'backwards' so they'd rather just cut the program entirely. The same thing has happened with college sports, thanks to Title IX.

The IOC could put in one of the fastest growing sports, pankration, which was also a sport native to the ancient games, but it chooses not to. Why have they not considered it? I don't know, and haven't followed the matter. I'd bet the general disdain for violence, aggression and masculinity among elites to be a factor.

that's a reason, but I think it had more to do with tv ratings, blah blah blah etc...

Just more evidence the entire world is becoming one big sopping wet vagina.

Wrestling: probably one of the toughest and oldest combat sports.

It's a sad sport. You have to have your ass kicked for at least 2 years before you can even start to become competitive so most guys don't do it. Then because of the subtle technicques like handfighting it's often can be appreciated by the layman.

Add the fact that USA wrestling is a bunch of assholes who USED to wrestle and are just lining their own pockets by NEVER hiring anyone outside the sport and are constantly playing favorites, this really isn't surprising.

Such a shame.

I placed 4th in the Olympic trials in Greco, it was one of the highlights of my life. Now because of mismanagement some talented kids out there will miss the only chance they ever had to fullfill lifelong dreams. Hell, they won't even get to fail in the pursuit as I did....

This was always one of the highlights of the Summer Games for me. I grew up competing in the sport and it gave me so much in terms of confidence, perseverance, camaraderie, etc. As much as I'd like to assign blame to some committee, the rules of the sport, particularly Freestyle, have changed so much since '96 and made it harder to watch as a fan. Probably contributed to its poor ratings as well.

Still the oldest and greatest sport though.

While I agree that this is sad, I stopped caring about Olympics a long time ago.

Olympics has already been perverted by opening it for professionals.

The only way Olympics would be interesting for me would be as an amateur competition that shows what a person can achieve by training along his regular socially productive life as a doctor, engineer, electrician, construction worker, policeman, writer, artist, actor, janitor, gardener or whatever and how this training improves their daily private and professional lives.

I am not so much interested in watching the competition of sponsored professionals most of whom can't do anything else in life then their sport, most of whom will end up as invalids in old age due to pushing themselves too much and who are able to live regimens I will never be able to due to them being sponsored and being free from earning money themselves. These "sportsmen" are bringing nothing productive to the society and are just puppets for companies to advertise.

As red pill men we must understand that all the mainstream sports are for show and take interest in sports more like ancient Greeks did. They didn't practice sports that were fun or that looked good for lazy beer gut audiences. They practiced sports that simulated real life challenges of defeating enemies with bare hands, reaching enemy lines with a spear throw, throwing shield to an ally, outrunning the enemy on foot, outrunning enemy on horse, outrunning enemy on chariot and so on.

Similarly today we should focus on sports that bring value to our daily lives, there is no much use in training to throw a spear but there is use in training to use a gun. There is no much use to train to train in swordplay, but there is use in bodybuilding to intimidate other men. This would be just the opposite in ancient times when a quick sword cut would always beat a slow mass of muscle that makes itself a big target.

And two sports that will always retain their use are weaponless fighting and running. As well as picking up and moving heavy objects. Can't go wrong with these. Let the masses obsess over who will land a ball in some useless field while not giving it to other guys whom he may not attack for some weird reason. I don't see that helping me.

Quote: (02-12-2013 12:14 PM)Vicious Wrote:  

While unfortunate I understand the decision. The rules have been very unclear and opaque which has resulted in many controversial decisions (such as this) that has left the sport wide open for allegations of corruption.

BS the same people who organized this are the same people who want to get rid of wrestling.

If you follow wrestling closely you will notice a trend of trying to get western european/Americans to win. The same people who promoted this have no said they want to get rid of wrestling.