rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Whiskey Thread

The Whiskey Thread

Where men are men and the drinks deliver crushing hangovers, welcome to the RVF Whiskey Thread.

So what is your mash derived libation of choice?

Hotwheels is partial to Black Velvet. (Yes, he knows it's cheap. Hotwheels likes the taste)

[Image: blackvelvet.jpg]

If that is not available, he will partake some Canadian Club,

[Image: canadian-club-whisky-your-mom-wasnt-your...-93750.jpg]

or some Maker's Mark.

[Image: makersmark-01.png]

The Whiskey Thread

Maker's Mark was the first whiskey I ever remember enjoying. One of my relatives was kind enough to introduce me to Maker's, and I've learned to love many types of whiskey since then.

[attachment=9924]

... ... ...

Bowmore Legend was the first scotch whisky I ever tried. I still have the container it came in for storing odds and ends.

[attachment=9925]

... ... ...

Drank a lot of Canadian Club as a teenager. A friend of mine always had a bottle stashed away, with a couple of double shot glasses.

[attachment=9926]

... ... ...

I've also drank a lot of Crown Royal in my time, and use the bags the bottles are wrapped in for stashing lighters, cigar cutters, and bottle openers.

[attachment=9927]

... ... ...

Glenmorangie, the finest whiskey I have ever drank. I usually give a bottle or two to my dad each year as gifts. Aged 12 years, and finished in former sherry wine bottles.

[attachment=9928]

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

The Whiskey Thread

Good thread. Here are some of my favorites:

[Image: ridgemontresreve1792.jpg]

[Image: woodford.jpg]

[Image: medium_bulleitbourbon.jpg]

And if you happend to find yourself in Germany:
[Image: 2943p.jpg]

The Whiskey Thread

Johnnie Walker Black neat, please and thank you.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

The Whiskey Thread

favorite day-to-day:

[Image: eaglerare.jpg]

for when I really want to savor it:

[Image: noahs-mill-smal_1337042483.jpg]

for a special occasion:

[Image: 0010000020243_L.JPG]

The Whiskey Thread

I'll start with a shout out for my mates across the pond. This is one of my favorites. The Irish know what their doing with whiskey:

[Image: attachment.jpg9930]   

It's distilled in Sherry casks, as opposed to Wild Turkey casks for the regular stuff.

Now for a step up:

[Image: attachment.jpg9931]   

Redbreast 12 yr is about as good as it gets.

On this side of the pond I like:

[Image: attachment.jpg9932]   

The Whiskey Thread

Quote: (02-10-2013 01:49 AM)Pacesetter20 Wrote:  

[Image: medium_bulleitbourbon.jpg]

+1 of recommandation for this one. Cheap and very, very good!

The Whiskey Thread

Canadian
Low priced, 100% rye. Rocky mountain water.
[Image: Alberta-Springs.jpg]

Not too much more expensive. Same distillery. Great bang for the buck.
[Image: alberta-premium-25.jpg]

Of course I never say no to the old standbys of Canadian Club or Crown Royal.

USA
I was fairly impressed by this one. Drank it straight from the bottle no problem. Easy drinking, fall into the bushes whiskey.
[Image: BH_Madmen.jpg]

Across the pond
I love my JW Black Label.
[Image: glogou_Johnnie%20Walker%20Black%20lable_wine_1.jpg]

I have a long standing relationship with this one.
[Image: Dalwhinnie15_grand.jpg]

I spent some time with a friend during his recent divorce pounding back a lot of JW Blue label. The only thing he wanted in the divorce was his liquor and his computers (he gave her everything else).
[Image: jw_blue_label_91.jpg]

I love the Redbreast as well Ali. I have had some of my best nights with a couple friends and a bottle of this.
[Image: irish_red1.jpg]

I spent a lot of time in Japan, and developed a taste for this. Pretty good stuff. Actually, really good stuff.
[Image: YAMAZAKI-12-Yr-Old-682x1024.jpg]

[Image: yoichi-15yo.jpg]

The Whiskey Thread

Anybody drink Jameson? Or is it just an Irish thing?

The Whiskey Thread

I'm going to be a snob and say that these days I'm almost exclusively sipping The Macallan.

The Whiskey Thread

I'm Canadian so the Canadian club, Alberta premium stay up top on the list.. Chivas Regal is definitely up on top though, scotch whisky... Sipping only strictly, couple drinks and you're almost incoherent lol.. Pricey up in Canada though. I'm kinda bias to vodka to be honest, call it girly but I'm polish/Ukrainian -- shits my blood haha

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

The Whiskey Thread

Sorry Gents, Maker's Mark just began watering down their product.

The Whiskey Thread

Quote: (02-10-2013 11:15 PM)EisenBarde Wrote:  

This is bad news. Got any links? Maker's Mark at anything other than 45% ABV is not Maker's Mark.

Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

The Whiskey Thread

Speaking of Jameson, I drink shots of it when it's bought for me.

Usually end up devastated those nights....

The Whiskey Thread

The only thing I'm going to say here is don't fool yourselves thinking whiskey has anything good about it when you all know damn well you're not going the distance on the nights you drink it especially up against seasoned drinkers that stick to the clear stuff. Avoid!

Edit: oh and hotwheels this is what your car would look like ..
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/3524134666.html

The Whiskey Thread

Quote: (02-10-2013 11:28 PM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

Speaking of Jameson, I drink shots of it when it's bought for me.

Usually end up devastated those nights....

I don't know how liquor prices compare where you live but in Ohio and Kentucky I buy 750 mL bottles of Jameson for $20.00, sometimes two or three dollars less. It's cheap and decent enough to keep a bottle around most of the time.

Some years ago a friend of mine went to Ireland for a week or two, he told me you can tell who's Catholic and who's Protestant by whether or not they're drinking Bushmills or Jameson. Apparently everybody drinks Tullamore Dew, though (my favorite Irish whiskey).

Also, apparently a very popular working class Irish whiskey is Paddy's, I haven't had it yet but one of our local liquor stores just started carrying it.

I could talk about whiskey all night. This thread kicks ass, Hotwheels.

EDIT: Check out Feckin Irish Whiskey. The name may make it sound like a gimmick but it's actually quite good and has a more full flavor than a lot of other Irish whiskeys.

The Whiskey Thread

For Canadian heads this Ontario local Collingwood is quite good. Smooth as hell and hits you ton of Maple notes on the way down:

[Image: collingwood-whiskey.jpg]

The Whiskey Thread

Quote: (02-10-2013 11:45 PM)kosko Wrote:  

For Canadian heads this Ontario local Collingwood is quite good. Smooth as hell and hits you ton of Maple notes on the way down:

[Image: collingwood-whiskey.jpg]

seen this but didn't make the jump, ill keep this in mind and report back if I remember haha

Gonna look into tullamore as well, Jameson's is a staple

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

The Whiskey Thread

Quote: (02-10-2013 11:27 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-10-2013 11:15 PM)EisenBarde Wrote:  

This is bad news. Got any links? Maker's Mark at anything other than 45% ABV is not Maker's Mark.

http://qz.com/52478/makers-mark-waters-d...ng-demand/

ht:instapundit

The Whiskey Thread

Quote: (02-10-2013 11:37 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

The only thing I'm going to say here is don't fool yourselves thinking whiskey has anything good about it when you all know damn well you're not going the distance on the nights you drink it especially up against seasoned drinkers that stick to the clear stuff. Avoid!

Edit: oh and hotwheels this is what your car would look like ..
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/3524134666.html

I generally stick to Greyhounds anymore unless I am on a mission. Then the whiskey comes out.

And if that roach is worth $5500 I better call Hagerty and bump mine up to $80k.... 485 cubes after a .030 bore... hahahaha

MSW-It's not cost that keeps me from drinking Jameson. I don't care for it much and I get wrecked on it. Will drink it but not a fan. I prefer shots of Jack any day, but then I start getting ornery for some reason...

The Whiskey Thread

elmech is that the hot cutlass you stole during that zoo animal/stripper party?

The Whiskey Thread

I tried a bunch of whiskies but never really loved any until I discovered Scotch. I keep Maker's Mark, Jack, Bushmills, and Canadian Club mostly for guests. I think there's a bottle of Jim Beam lurking around somewhere for medicinal purposes, too.

When I want a wee dram, I go for a proper Islay...

[Image: 35a12e540ceb0e54ec9310b8b2cc1f38.jpg]
Ardbeg 10

[Image: a8389aef202128888bd6be07ce85b674.jpg]
Lagavulin 16

Or something a little more delicate.

[Image: 6b9ae585d22040b51447ce7d1604b6d8.jpg]
The MacAllan 18

The Whiskey Thread

Quote: (02-10-2013 11:59 PM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

MSW-It's not cost that keeps me from drinking Jameson. I don't care for it much and I get wrecked on it. Will drink it but not a fan. I prefer shots of Jack any day, but then I start getting ornery for some reason...

It does go down pretty smoothly. Must be that Irish whiskey triple distillation! [Image: lol.gif]

Personally, I'm not a fan of Jack Daniel's but I will drink it... If somebody else is paying. [Image: lol.gif] I did get a liter as a birthday gift once though, and I certainly didn't complain.

The Whiskey Thread

i usually stick to seagram's 7 or crown. i definitely want to try a lot of the ones y'all have up though, especially that Japanese one.

The Whiskey Thread

Quote: (02-11-2013 12:35 AM)JoyStick Wrote:  

i usually stick to seagram's 7 or crown. i definitely want to try a lot of the ones y'all have up though, especially that Japanese one.

If you've got the money definitely give the Japanese single-malts a try. They can be expensive though ($70 - $120 per bottle). I remember one anecdotal story of Scottish distilleries being very upset that a Japanese single-malt was ranked higher than all scotches. Kind of reminded me of hearing about the first time French wineries were outranked by California vintages, and how upset the French were. (By the way, some California "meritage" reds are really f$%#ing good).