rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Music

Whats everyone into?

Music

I listen to pretty much everything. I'm currently listening to a lot of Thievery Corporation, Temple of the Dog, Louis Logic, R.A. The Rugged Man, The Brazilian Girls, Smoke City, Portishead. Lots of trip hop lately.

Music

Nurse With Wound and Guided by Voices are my two favorites. I listen to mostly experimental or underground stuff. I've hated the mainstream since 1987. Life's too short to listen to commercial media.

Music

My favorite type of music is mostly early 90's. Favorite album of all time is Temple of the Dog.

Music

I'm big into underground house music, as well as early 90's hip-hop...other than that I can listen to and enjoy anything. I can't stand pop music nowadays though, what happened there??

Music

Been listening too 'American Football' a lot lately. A really good album to pick up...

My all time favorite is pre-2000-ish Modest Mouse.

I'll listen to almost anything that has some merit, ...which is subjective, of course. You could keep me happy with a range of better 80's music for a long time.

Music

I used to be very much into latino music but for the past few years, I'm heavily into Brasilian music which is just awesome and without match once you get into it. Awesome way also to learn/improve Portuguese and also perfect opener with Brasilian girls. I also enjoy Italian music as well as some French music. I find the current English language music/artists to be of very low quality so only listen to classics of the 80's-90's when it comes to English language music. I'm big into world music tough. Quite a difference compared to current "mainstream" music.

Music

The King of San Francisco:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXFUg1E93pg

Music

Quote: (05-12-2010 09:30 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

I used to be very much into latino music but for the past few years, I'm heavily into Brasilian music which is just awesome and without match once you get into it. Awesome way also to learn/improve Portuguese and also perfect opener with Brasilian girls. I also enjoy Italian music as well as some French music. I find the current English language music/artists to be of very low quality so only listen to classics of the 80's-90's when it comes to English language music. I'm big into world music tough. Quite a difference compared to current "mainstream" music.

That's a pretty bold statement to say English language music is low quality. You're pretty much talking about most huge bands that have been known throught the world, such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The beatles, so on and so on. Low quality? Some of the most musically talented minds come out of the United States and England.

Music

A little of what I am listening to lately:

Animal Collective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zol2MJf6XNE

The Dodos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLRxui7vXU

Hecq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpuXx0ljRCo

Trinity Roots (best music for seducing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPwaotBwA6k

And I check out bigstereo and dieselU for up and coming electronic stuff.

Music

Quote: (05-14-2010 04:20 AM)Brandon E Wrote:  

That's a pretty bold statement to say English language music is low quality. You're pretty much talking about most huge bands that have been known throught the world, such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The beatles, so on and so on. Low quality? Some of the most musically talented minds come out of the United States and England.

"Quality" and "Popularity" are 2 different things.

Music

I'm slowly switching from oldskool hiphop to house/minimal.

Music

Quote: (05-16-2010 10:17 PM)LÉtranger Wrote:  

I'm slowly switching from oldskool hiphop to house/minimal.

Nice move. Dont make that move permanent though, old school hip hop lives forever my friend.

However, minimal lost its ground in 2008, house revival has been coming back strong...currently "underground disco house" is the new deal but house music changes constantly and who knows where its going next, my prediction is; the old school house sound is going to stick around for awhile with simple catchy vocals and heavy percussion.

Music

I usually have this station running in the background when I'm working, kind of chill vibe, but not sleepy. Everything from Sade to Thievery Corporation to samba to electro chill/downtempo artists you've probably not heard of. Even a little bit of deep house here and there. Great station, I like almost every song they play.

http://www.jazzradio.com/fusionlounge

Music

Problem is I have kinda ran out of classic beats... and I am not attracted to the recent stuff at all. Distant Relatives is out tho.

Yeah I dont really know much about House but for me minimal is kalkbrenner-aaron. I also like more usual stuff like stromae-alors on danse.

@speakeasy
I still listen to Tourist even after 10 years.

PS: Branvan 3000 cannot be described... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfwWceO3vas

Music

Foals, great English group, new album is superb. Band of Horses, M.Ward, Bonnie Prince Billy, all pretty cool americana.

Boards of Canada awesome electronic kinda ambient meets trip hop.

Music

I'm talking about the current crop of "artists" which I personally find very low compared to what it used to be. The ones you mention are the classic ones that none or few of the current groups/bands can match up to. That is why the 70's, 80's and 90's music and groups are so popular today because a blatant lack of talent today. Even more so than the current crop and rightfully so.

Music

I was going to post in this thread the other day, but I got drawn away from my computer for a bit and forgot what I was going to write, so I'll just go over some of what I like and dislike.

Old-School Hip Hop
Like:
The Wu Tang clan (and just about all of their solo work, most of all Liquid Swords)
Nas
Beasties

Dislike:
NWA (just never got into them)

Indie:
Like:
Death Cab for Cutie (why yes, I'm aware that they aren't 'Indie' anymore...)
Vampire Weekend
The Shins

Dislike:
Metric (everyone has such a boner for these guys, why? Only two good chick bands have ever existed; Veruca Salt and the Donnas, everyone else blows)
Bright Eyes (Once more, why the raging boner?)

Classic Rock
Like:
Led Zeppelin
The Jesus and Mary chain
The Rolling Stones

Dislike:
The Beatles (why the hype? Don't say its because they had one good album, The White Album)

Rock:
Like:
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Incubus
The Dandy Warhols (yeah their last album blew, but they're still criminally underrated)

Dislike:
System of a Down
Anything where the lead singer screams like a whiny teenage bitch

Britrock:
Like:
Radiohead
Placebo
Muse
Travis (Scottish, I know...)
Oasis

Dislike:
The Verve (was going to write in Blur, but they're redeemed by Gorillaz)

Stoner Music:
Like:
Queens of the Stone Age
Tool
Cypress Hill

Dislike:
Explosions in the Sky (fine to listen to the odd time when tripping balls, but not when I'm sitting here, behind my computer sober as a judge. I'm also annoyed because of the huge hard-on people have for these guys as well.)

That's about it as far as I know, just a little bit of everything, never got into the club beats or electronica. Right at this very second;

If you bang a chick to one rock song this year, make it this one.

NP

Music

Quote: (05-15-2010 05:07 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

"Quality" and "Popularity" are 2 different things.

Are you kidding? I play 5 different instrements, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to music and tallent/quality. Are you telling me Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrics, Dimebag Darrell, I mean the list goes on, didn't play quality guitar? I'm not saying just because a band is popular means they are tallented/quality. I'm honestly not a big Led Zepplin fan, but I would never say they don't have quality music, or tallent. They are extremely tallented and I have huge amounts of respect for them, it's just not really my style. At the same time, I'll listen to music that isn't really quality in terms of tallent, such as bands like Nirvana (Yeah, tallented song writters but shitty musicians minus Dave Groul) but have a sound I like. Trust me, I know what to look for when it comes to tallent in music. I'm a firm believer in the Immortal Technique lyric, "If you go plantnum, it's got nothing to do with luck, it just means that a million people are stupid as fuck." But also wouldn't dislike a band because they are tallented or went plantnum. Some of my favorites are mainstream/popular.

Music

Quote: (05-18-2010 08:57 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

I'm talking about the current crop of "artists" which I personally find very low compared to what it used to be. The ones you mention are the classic ones that none or few of the current groups/bands can match up to. That is why the 70's, 80's and 90's music and groups are so popular today because a blatant lack of talent today. Even more so than the current crop and rightfully so.

Alright I can agree with this statement.

Music

Quote: (05-12-2010 09:23 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Been listening too 'American Football' a lot lately. A really good album to pick up...

I'll listen to almost anything that has some merit, ...which is subjective, of course. You could keep me happy with a range of better 80's music for a long time.

I used to think Modest Mouse sucked until I heard pre 2000 Modest Mouse. Pretty good shit. They have a pretty crazy story behind them too.

Music

Great article...

The Sun Never Sets on the Techno Tourist

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/05/21/tra...ref=travel

Music

trance.classical.rock.french jazz

Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pKrVB5f2W0

Music

Quote: (05-19-2010 04:46 AM)Brandon E Wrote:  

Quote: (05-12-2010 09:23 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

I used to think Modest Mouse sucked until I heard pre 2000 Modest Mouse. Pretty good shit. They have a pretty crazy story behind them too.

Yeah, I know what you mean. If I only listened to the post 2000 stuff, I would think they sucked too. Everything after the album "The Moon and Antarctica" (2000) is pretty uninspired. Thats also the album they went to the sony label on. Everything before that is much more raw and real in my opinion. I know that sounds like hipster (i'm not) snobbishness, but its pretty much true.

During the pre-2000 time, the music style ranges between hard punk to soft lo-fi, and everything in-between. But its all real good, imo. The earlier you go, the more unique it sounds, as much of it was recorded on home equipment.

This will sound cheesy, but they are the first band who's lyrics actually 'spoke' to me. Don't laugh[Image: wink.gif]