rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Alternatives to breakfast cereal

I was raised on sugary breakfast cereal, and when I finally had to quit it because it was messing with my blood sugar, I had to try out various breakfast alternatives. I struggled to find food that would keep me full until lunch time. I tried fruits, cold meats, cheeses, but nothing would keep me full. I ended up overeating on snacks.

So one miserable morning about 2 months back while I was in a rush and craving cereal, I for some reason decided to throw in some raw peanuts into a bowl of milk, put it in the microwave and then eat it. I liked it.

The stuff tastes somewhat like a less sugary version of cereal and keeps me going until lunch. I eat it now every morning. It has all the convenience of breakfast cereal without the refined sugar. You literally just add milk to a bowl of raw peanuts, that's it. Depending on my mood I''ll eat it hot or cold. For variety I will sometimes throw in sunflower seeds or raisins.

So I'm wondering, what other relatively-healthier-but-yet-still-so- convenient alternatives are there to breakfast cereal? And while we're at it, what do you guys eat for breakfast?

Even as a kid, cereal never kept me full. I'd be hungry an hour later.

I like sugar-free oatmeal with some cinnamon thrown in, eggs (I eat whole eggs but I understand some people think that just whites are better from a health perspective) with salsa, and leftovers from previous lunches and dinners I've made.

I really like the sound of your pseudo-cereal, but I've got a peanut allergy. It's funny that I never really minded missing out on PBJ's and Reese's cups when I was younger, but now I'm more bummed since peanuts are such a good and tasty source of protein and good fats.

Eggs and bananas.

No sexual innuedo in case your perverted mind saw one. [Image: angel.gif]

I eat eggs as they are or slice them with egg slicer and put them on black bread. And I mix a banana with whey milk or consume them separetly. This is my usual breakfast after morning workout in 70% if mornings.

Who told you breakfast cereal is healthy?

Grape nuts in the microwave with honey. Breakfast quiche. Quaker unflavored oats in the microwave with milk and a fruit(I prefer banana) sauteed in a little butter with cinnamon.

I eat shredded wheat with no sugar added, a cup of skin milk, sliced bananas, raisins, and strawberries. It's a delicious no added sugar breakfast.

Rico... Sauve....

Eggs, fruit and coffee.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Oatmeal. It's high in fiber and very filling. Maybe a couple boiled eggs and bacon on the side and some fruit.

Whatever you are eating incorporate a few spoon fulls of coconut oil. That will trick the body into thinking it is full. Also a protein shake helps as glutamine provides the brain with fuel. If the brain is happy it won't send you on a binge looking for food.

" I'M NOT A CHRONIC CUNT LICKER "

Canada, where the women wear pants and the men wear skinny jeans

As an alternative to oatmeal, you can try quinoa, which is low in fat but has a good amount of protein(more than oatmeal) and more vitamins and minerals than found in oatmeal.

4 scrambled eggs with or without bacon/cheese, quarck, milk, fruit. I can recommend a paleo diet. (I am aware that dairy is not strictly paleo, but it is condoned if you're tolerant and a viable source of protein).

I like Nature's Path Qi'a cereal. It's chia, buckwheat, hemp cereal.
It comes in original flavour, apple cinnamon and cranberry vanilla.

edit

"Control of your words and emotions is the greatest predictor of success." - MaleDefined

I have a cup of oatmeal, with a banana, blueberries, some nuts and put in a tablespoon of natural peanutbutter for good measure.

It tastes great and a lot healthier than the cereal crap you see in supermarkets.

If I train in the morning, I'll have some eggs with it too.

Quote: (01-03-2013 01:10 PM)NuMbEr7 Wrote:  

@Thomas, go and buy a box of Jungle Oats, it's about 30 bucks for 750g.

I make 1 cup of oats and cut up a banana and it keeps my fast metabolism happy for about 3 hours.

You can always mix some whey protein in it too if you wanna get some protein in for breakfast.

I tried Jungle Oats for a stint, but the stuff makes my stomach run. Anything that has oats is pretty much out for me.

edit

"Control of your words and emotions is the greatest predictor of success." - MaleDefined

Charles Poliquin advocates nuts and meat, which is what our ancestors probably would have had and could be a good alternative for you if oats make you bad.

Other than that - eggs and fruit or juicing are all great ways to start the day.

Black coffee and cigarettes.

Once you stop eating wheat and sugar, you can go a lot longer without eating and can just skip breakfast. Though I usually go with El Mechanicos option above.

Love a bit of left over spag bol for breakfast.

Black tea, then meat and eggs between 10 and 11am. Keeps me full until dinner, thats when I have carbs. I used to be a cereal for breakfast, pb+j sandwich for lunch kind of guy and what always hungry an hour later.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

I fucking love breakfast. My favorite meal time.

I'll mix apple sauce, peanut butter and coconut milk for a "porridge" - throw in some cinammon and nutmeg. That shit fills you up. Or I'll do a smoothie - frozen berries, whole milk, bananas, honey and some lemon juice.

I usually have about 4 eggs and a few slices of bacon or sausage links, too. Eggs go down easy when scrambled in butter. And a about 3 cups of coffee with cream. The bean-grinding, french-press thing is a ritual with me.

It's expensive and a waste of time, I'm sure - but I friggin love it. I used to read the paper but that shit just gets me depressed, so instead I read my favorite self-development blogs and whatnot while I eat. Now that I'm bulking, I might do this first then go down a lift heavy at the gym. We'll have to see how things go this spring.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

I go with 5 hard boiled eggs blended with 1 cup of milk. I blend it to "puree". I eat 1 banana and it'll usually last me 3hours.
Chill it and drink it down fast. The smell is horrible and the taste isn't much better.
I nicknamed it "sewer water"

Quote: (01-03-2013 06:47 PM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

I go with 5 hard boiled eggs blended with 1 cup of milk. I blend it to "puree". I eat 1 banana and it'll usually last me 3hours.
Chill it and drink it down fast. The smell is horrible and the taste isn't much better.
I nicknamed it "sewer water"

Do you put the hard boiled eggs in ice water as soon as they are done? That keeps the yolks from getting smelly from the sulphur.

Quote: (01-03-2013 10:56 AM)Sherman Wrote:  

I eat shredded wheat with no sugar added, a cup of skin milk, sliced bananas, raisins, and strawberries. It's a delicious no added sugar breakfast.

How does one acquire this?

Also, eggs in any form usually keep me going.