rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Spinach

Spinach

I love this stuff! Spinach is not only one of the most nutritious foods out there (aka "superfood"), it is possibly the most versatile. I always have some raw spinach in my fridge and add it to almost everything I cook.

It helps build muscle and is rich in vitamins, antioxidants, calcium, potassium, fiber...the list goes on. One cup cooked spinach contains 1000% your RDV of Vitamin K! It has also been found to reduce the risk of both prostate and colon cancers.

Add this stuff to pasta sauces. Use it as a pizza or sandwich topping. Put it in quesadillas or tacos. Blend it into rice. Can be eaten as a side or by itself. Cover a plate or bowl with raw spinach: add some raw mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, nuts (almonds work well), and cheese crumbles for an amazing salad. Add some grilled or sauteed steak, chicken, shrimp, or fish to make it a meal. Did I mention delicious spinach dip?

Benefits:
- Maintains bone density and strength
- Helps build muscle
- Rich in anti-oxidants
- Promotes healthy skin
- Aids digestion
- Fights and helps prevent cancer
- Improves cardiovascular health and blood pressure
- Protects vision and brain from the effects of aging
- Anti-inflammatory properties

[Image: 273205.jpg]

[Image: exps31784_5SR2007928C03_12_1bC.jpg]

[Image: pasta-prosciutto-ck-1842335-l.jpg]

Sources:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/2700-f...s-spinach/
http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/nutrit...php?page=1
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/11-...inach.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinach

Spinach

If you eat eggs in the morning (which you probably should be doing if you are lifting) stir in some spinach while you cook them. Sprinkle on onion powder and salt.

Delicious.

Spinach

Quote: (12-19-2012 11:04 PM)Phil Wrote:  

If you eat eggs in the morning (which you probably should be doing if you are lifting) stir in some spinach while you cook them. Sprinkle on onion powder and salt.

Delicious.

I forgot that one. Omelettes too. It's ridiculous how many things you can add spinach to for a little extra flavor and tons of extra nutrients.

Spinach

Is there any value in the frozen stuff? I just got some for my omelettes...that and goat cheese

Spinach

Quote: (12-20-2012 03:34 AM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

Is there any value in the frozen stuff? I just got some for my omelettes...that and goat cheese

As far as I know, frozen spinach provides similar benefits but I much prefer it raw personally (that's what she said [Image: lol.gif]). It's fresher and generally easier to cook with.

Spinach

Im a fan of spinach, I make salads with it. Then I just grab handfuls of it a few times threw out the day. Someone told me to much can make your blood thick?

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Spinach

^^^Yep, I never use lettuce anymore. Arugula is also immense in salads.

Spinach

I wonder how long it will be before somebody posts a picture of Popeye on this thread?

Spinach

Quote: (12-20-2012 03:34 AM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

I use frozen when I am at home and have access to a deep freezer. You actually get more nutrients with Frozen Spinach because your eating more at a time. A whole pack of frozen spinach is 2 bags (at least) of fresh I believe.

Just don't cook it that much, as its already blanched so cooking the shit out of it will kill off a lot of nutrients.

What I do is take a pack and defrost it in a small bowl in the fridge over night then in the AM i'll toss a small handful into with a omelette, then make a pasta with it at night and toss it into a sauce last minute or something to heat it throw.

Or if your short on time just defrost it half way in the microwave to the point you can rip it out of the box but its still kinda cold-ish then just use it like that in your cooking.

Spinach is the bomb but Kale is where it's at.

Kale is far more superior to spinach in terms as cooking versatility, nutrients and taste.

1oz - Spinach:
[Image: Screen+Shot+2012-03-30+at+9.20.57+AM.png]

1oz - Kale:
[Image: Screen-Shot-2012-03-30-at-9.20.35-AM.png]

I love them both but Kale is in my personal top 3 for vegetables, I thoroughly love the shit (I'll just munch on the shit raw with nothing on it).Spinach is bomb in sandwiches and salads but anything that needs to be cooked I go for Kale.

Spinach

I love kale, but find that swiss chard seems like a better replacement for spinach. I did a creamed swiss chard over thanksgiving that was really bomb. Its like Spinach but the leaves don't wilt as fast. I usually just juice or steam kale...i've got to try out more options with it.

Hear Collard Greens are also up there (I love them prepared southern style).

I got the frozen stuff out of conveinience, as I'm really sporadically ever home and if I buy veggies, I need to use them that day or risk having them spoil.

Spinach

Kale is very nutritious but I'm not huge on the texture. The reason I use spinach so much is I can add it to anything and it only subtly effects the dishes overall flavor profile while adding tons of nutrients. Spinach is very soft and malleable, especially when cooked, whereas I find kale more tough and crunchy. I do need to experiment with kale more though. Definitely another great veggie. I'd like to learn how to make kale chips.

Spinach

All the great green Cooking Greens are good choices. Each person will enjoy one or the other for taste and texture. Spinach is indeed the better default option, I hype Kale because its my personal fav so my bias towards it is heavy [Image: sleepy.gif]

My favoriate things to do with Spinach are:

- Spinach BLT's. I swap in Spinach and then throw Avacado in there and press it.

- Spinach pasta - There are million ways to do this but the more spinach the better to me. This with roasted/Sun-dred tomatoes is a legit meal

- Tuna/Salmon burgers I'll toss in (frozen and drained) Spinach to the mixture to amp the flavor of the patties.

- Easy Post workout meal = Small Fillet of Salmon or Tuna (done rare) + Spinach + Lemon and roasted garlic vinaigrette w/ crusty bread.

Anybody have any experiences growing any of these types of greens?

This guy on the next block always has fucked up greens sprouting out from his garden they look like Chard and Collard but not really. I was always tempted to swipe some leaves each time I walked by.

Spinach

Tuna/Salmon burgers sounds delicious. I'll have to get on that.

Spinach

Quote: (12-20-2012 04:59 PM)Alpha Hunter Zero Wrote:  

I wonder how long it will be before somebody posts a picture of Popeye on this thread?

That was the first thing I thought of doing when I saw the thread...

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Spinach

Your best bet is to mix up the different greens. I grew up in the mountains and turnip/mustard/ collards were a staple on the table. People tends to overcook, and I started following some of Paula Dean's recipes. I assume the less cooked preserves the nutritional value of the food. Here's a quick list of what has what in it.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-b...-2662.html

WTF? Hey kosko, you ever hear of kale chips?

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-b...-2662.html

Will try this tomorrow.

Spinach

Quote: (12-20-2012 08:11 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

kale chips?

[Image: mindblown.gif] X 100

They are fuking amazing!

There tricky to get right when you make them on your own but I would rather do that because they rape you for them at the store. Like 9 bucks for a bag I've seen on some health stores. F-THAT!

Here is the recipe I followed to make them the first time:

Spinach

Yeah, I first tried kale chips from Trader Joe's and they were good but outrageously priced. Ever since then I've been meaning to try making some myself.