rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Russia's Newly Liberal Visa Regime

OK, at this point I've had Slavic Fever for over a decade and it looks like a terminal case.

I recently paid ($150) to one of those travel agencies who give you an invitation so you can get a longer visa to Ukraine ( in this case 3 years) , but when I went to the Ukrainian consulate I actually got to talk to the head of the place ( the consul , not the ambassador) and he took one look at it and said forget it.

So the regulations for Ukraine are 90 in -- 90 out (you're supposed to stay out 90 after each 90 day stay) , although at this time you can do LAND ONLY border runs but it is extremely inconvenient and costs some money to take a couple days to go , stay in Poland or wherever and come back, or it is exhausting if you go and come back the same day.

Now Russia has ( as I understand, research yourself please) officially said they'll give up to three years with six month blocks which makes it much more appealing. You only have to leave for a day every six months. This means if you have a independent income you could post up in a favorable second tier city and make some half-Slavic babies.

Now since I have formally declared my goal is to be hated in the USA when I am in Poosy Paradise and hated in FSU when I am making money in Murka this sounds great.

Of course, since it just started who knows if it's really is going to work. can you put down on the visa application for "Reason for Travel to Russia" "1) Seeking Poosy Paradise 2) Inspire hatred in Murkabeests"?

Does anyone know anything?

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/pr_visas-082912.html

Here's a company that says they do visa support:

http://www.travelvisapro.com/visa/russia

It would be great to hear a success story from someone who's not a splendidly connected millionaire.

This is great news because it will simplify and makes things easier for all of us Slavic-pussy lovers. Just don't go around and shout from your lungs about it (or link directly to their embassy pages from here) because governments have been known to tighten the visa rules (or make things harder for them once there) when they found out that travelers are landing on their shores solely for pussy (see South Korea, Cuba, etc.)

And I believe the agreement will work fine i reality because it is not one-way agreement, but is reciprocal, which means the same rules will apply for Russians seeking to travel to the U.S.

I think broke-ass Murka state officials are sobering to the fact that in the past several years Russians became if not the biggest mass-travelers in the world (from every country in the Mediterranean to anywhere in SE Asia they are freaking everywhere) so they are just tapping into that market for some of 'em sweet dolla's.

Great news about the Russian visa rule change. Does this mean you'll be giving Russia a try? I'd love for someone to post a datasheet on Vladivostok or Novosibirsk.

I'm in Kharkiv approaching my 90 day limit. The only border near me is Russia. A Russian consulate office is five minute walk from my flat here in Kharkiv. I'll let you guys know if I decide to get a Russian visa and how that goes.

It's lame that Americans are restricted to a 90 / 180 rule here in Ukraine, and staying longer legally is a huge hassle. This rule does not apply to many other nationalities. This might be part of the reason why the land-based border hop works.

I stayed in Serbia for five months with ease. A local simply updated my registration on my behalf after three months -- I didn't even have to go to the office with him.

BTW, getting a three-week tourist visa in Uzbekistan visa was huge pain (partly because I was in India at the time).

Quote: (10-14-2012 10:00 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

I recently paid ($150) to one of those travel agencies who give you an invitation so you can get a longer visa to Ukraine ( in this case 3 years) , but when I went to the Ukrainian consulate I actually got to talk to the head of the place ( the consul , not the ambassador) and he took one look at it and said forget it.

Interesting. I guess that means some of those sites are scams. Good to know. I've been reading on expatua's forums that staying longer than three months in Ukraine at a time using an official visa is a huge hassle -- even if you got that visa, it's my understanding you would have done a lot of work registering at the OVIR office inside of Ukraine, possibly having your registration rejected without having a very good reason for being there (like marriage or a job).

Can you arrange accommodation and itinerary by yourself in order to acquire an visa or you have gone through an agency to arrange hotel reservation for Visa?

IKnowExactly, what about a language/education visa for Ukraine?

As for the Russian visa, is there a requirement to be out of country for a specific time period? Like 6 months in and then 6 months out?

Quote: (10-15-2012 12:50 PM)The Duke Wrote:  

Interesting. I guess that means some of those sites are scams. Good to know. I've been reading on expatua's forums that staying longer than three months in Ukraine at a time using an official visa is a huge hassle -- even if you got that visa, it's my understanding you would have done a lot of work registering at the OVIR office inside of Ukraine, possibly having your registration rejected without having a very good reason for being there (like marriage or a job).

Man, it sucks. When I lived there, I was bribing some chick who bribed other people to get visa renewals. When I did have to deal with OVIR, it was a pain in the ass just to find the building.

So I go to a building thinking that was the place to find out about renewing a visa. They were only open for two hours to answer questions on Tuesday and Thursday. They wouldn't answer anything until then. I go back on Thursday at the right time. They tell me that I need to go to a different building that handles visa renewals. I go to the other building and they only answer questions on Monday's and Wednesdays. haha

It is a mind fuck for western people.

Quote: (10-15-2012 02:09 PM)avantgarde Wrote:  

Can you arrange accommodation and itinerary by yourself in order to acquire an visa or you have gone through an agency to arrange hotel reservation for Visa?

That's the thing, the details are not clear and there is not a pool of people to ask who have already done it; as the new rules only went into effect a few weeks ago.

Also, even with a better bureaucracy it often takes time for the rule changes to propagate down to the people doing the work.

I doubt you need, say, 4 months of paid hotel reservations.

The thing I'm worried about is the informal screening-- like the Ukrainian consul was wondering, WTF was I going to do in Ukraine for 3 years?

I think you just need to stick to the story, tourism, taking a lot of photographs. You DON'T want to say you're going for work if it's a tourist visa....

Quote: (10-15-2012 11:52 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

IKnowExactly, what about a language/education visa for Ukraine?

As for the Russian visa, is there a requirement to be out of country for a specific time period? Like 6 months in and then 6 months out?

From hearsay, there's no out period you have to stay out.

http://www.sovietcity.com/blog/?p=1719

There's no known way to figure out the motivations of Russian bureaucrats, so it's impossible to see how this will really be enforced/allowed.

So has anyone gone through the new process yet?

One of my friends tried to visit me here and it was a pain - they're still working out the kinks, so give it a few months before you decide to sell your house and move to Russia. Btw, it's not as easy as people have claimed here - no longer the wild 90's.

------------

Historic Visa Agreement Enters Into Force September 9, 2012

Moscow, Russia | August 29, 2012

The U.S. Embassy in Moscow is pleased to announce that the historic U.S.-Russia visa agreement will enter into effect September 9, 2012. The agreement will facilitate travel and establish stronger ties between Russia and the United States, as it will benefit the largest segment of travelers in both our countries: business travelers and tourists. Starting September 9, Russian and American travelers for business or tourism will be eligible to receive visas valid for multiple entries during a period of 36 months. The agreement also outlines other simplifications in the bilateral visa regime and eases visa processing time for travelers from both countries. At the same time, the United States will be reducing the fee charged to Russians issued visas for business or tourism from $100 to $20.

Thanks to the agreement, three-year, multiple-entry visas will become the standard “default” terms for U.S. citizens visiting Russia and Russian citizens visiting the United States. No formal invitation will be required to apply for a business or tourism visa, although applicants seeking Russian tourist visas must continue to hold advance lodging reservations and arrangements with a tour operator. Both sides have also committed to keep standard visa processing times under 15 days, although the circumstances of individual cases may require additional processing.

Also on September 9, the $100 issuance – or reciprocity – fee for Russians issued U.S. visas for business or tourism (visa types B1/B2) will fall to $20. As a rule, successful visa applicants will receive the full-validity three-year visa. The $160 application fee will still apply, and validity and fees for other visa types (for example for students, workers, and journalists) will not change.

For Americans in Russia, the agreement lifts the previous restriction limiting stays in Russia to 90 days within any given 180-day period—just like Russian travelers, they will now be permitted stays of up to six months. In addition, “exit visas” will no longer be necessary in the case of U.S. citizens who lose their passports while in Russia. (Russian citizens may already exit the United States without an exit visa). U.S. citizens with current Russian visas are reminded that they are still subject to the terms and dates of the visas already in their possession.

U.S. citizens with Russian travel plans are encouraged to monitor Embassy Moscow’s website for additional details concerning this agreement: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/russian-visas.html. Russian citizens may visit http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ru/index.html for specific instructions on how to apply for a U.S. visa.

I recently went to the Russian consulate in Kharkiv to ask about one of these new tourist visas, but I was not allowed in. The guard told me (through my translator) that I could only go inside to drop off a visa application or pickup a visa, or if I had a scheduled appointment. He said I could find an application online, and that I would need an invitation letter (specially an original one, not a pdf). I tried calling consulate office's phone a few times but no one answered. I talked to a Russian friend about getting an invitation letter from her, and she said it would be possible but a lot of work (she was under the impression that she would need to get the invitation letter notorized at some office in larger city a couple hours from her). Something else came up (work in India), so my plans to go to Russia have been postponed. I'm now in India which is sort of depressing in comparison to exploring Russia, but I'm hoping that without distractions (or temptations) that I can focus on work for a few months.

I stayed in Serbia for five months with ease. A local simply updated my registration on my behalf after three months -- I didn't even have to go to the office with him.

would you know how an American can renew the 90 tourist visa? thanks in advance

Quote: (11-08-2012 10:37 PM)GameTheory Wrote:  

would you know how an American can renew the 90 tourist visa? thanks in advance

A local guy that I was working with did it for me. He registered me at some office in town. Then after three months, he did it again. One time he did it without me, and another time I went with him. Getting registered was not so bad compared to getting registered in India. Did not need much paperwork and did have to wait long. This was back in 2006.

Pretty much no matter where in Serbia you are, there are nearby borders. It's relatively easy to do border runs but then border runs don't make much sense for Serbia because you are officially supposed to get registered after each time you enter the country anyway.

I know a guy who recently (this year in 2012) overstayed by a few weeks in Serbia (as a tourist) without registering (not once did he register). He left the country on a bus to Bulgaria. Maybe he was just lucky, but the border guard said nothing to him about overstaying.

I recently left Kharkiv after being there 88 days. The immigration official at the airport was studying my passport for at least 10 minutes. I think she was counting my days. In Ukraine, they seem to strictly enforce the 90 day rule (at the airports at least). In India they also count the days if you are close to the limit.

diplomatic conversations are finally postposed to 2014..

Question for those who have stayed in Russia (Moscow) in an AirBnB apartment and NOT a hotel:

1) how/where did you get the invitation letter (from one of the many sites offering this or from the company doing the renting)

2) if you are not staying in a hotel, where did you register as a foreigner in Moscow (which you have to do if you're staying more than 7 days)

Quote:Quote:

Based on reciprocal approach Australian applicants traveling to Russia with business, commercial and government purposes must provide a short biography (full name; date and place of birth, education and qualifications, history of employment) in Russian language.

That's pretty cool. Good way to limit foreigners entering the country.

It seems that, while the private visas you can only stay for 90 days at a time, there is no restriction on how soon you can get another - but you do have to leave the country to get another...

Can I obtain a new visa without leaving Russia?
No, not legally. Here is the explanation why.
An entry visa to Russia is processed by the Russian consulates in foreign countries. No entity in Russia can issue a Russian visa.

Quote: (06-27-2013 07:03 AM)Architekt Wrote:  

Based on reciprocal approach Australian applicants traveling to Russia with business, commercial and government purposes must provide a short biography (full name; date and place of birth, education and qualifications, history of employment) in Russian language.

It seems that, while the private visas you can only stay for 90 days at a time, there is no restriction on how soon you can get another - but you do have to leave the country to get another...

An entry visa to Russia is processed by the Russian consulates in foreign countries. No entity in Russia can issue a Russian visa.

I'm lucky to own a south american passport that allows me to enter Russia without visas [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (06-27-2013 10:05 AM)Scarecr0w Wrote:  

I'm lucky to own a south american passport that allows me to enter Russia without visas [Image: smile.gif]

can you tell us the SA country ? thanks in advance

Quote: (06-27-2013 06:26 PM)GameTheory Wrote:  

Quote: (06-27-2013 10:05 AM)Scarecr0w Wrote:  

can you tell us the SA country ? thanks in advance

every single one except bolivia and paraguay:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Russia

I just applied for the 3 year Russian/USA tourist Visa...weird procedure; I went through a visa service called 'A. Briggs' for the invitation letter, etc. Takes 3 weeks to process with no rush ability. Remember to list all cities you plan on visiting or local cops can shake you down if you end up in a city not listed...also the rules covering the six month allowed stay in country are vague...I still don't understand if I can only spend six months total in Russia, within the 3 year validity of the visa, or if I can do a simple border hop, or if it's 6 months on and then 6 months off...suppose I will be finding out very soon when I go to Peter in August.

^^^ keep us updated !!!

According to a post on EXPAT.RU, a guy with the 3 year visa asked several custom agents when he was leaving if he could step out for a day and come back for another 6 months and all said yes.