rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Which cool used car to buy for $8-10k

Which cool used car to buy for -10k

Now that the connecting rod in my nissan broke, it will cost almost the same to buy a used car in the 8-10k range as to replace the engine.

Any suggestions for a cool car in that price range that's reliable and still cool? I like sporty looking ones [Image: smile.gif]

Are you going to use it for any activity in particular, or just getting from A-B in style?

Late BMW e46 (3 series)

Quote: (10-06-2012 10:00 PM)Architekt Wrote:  

Are you going to use it for any activity in particular, or just getting from A-B in style?

No, just from getting to point A to point B (hopefully with style [Image: wink.gif]

maybe you can find early g35 coupe too.

Steal something from el mechanico' shop and give him $6K.

Quote: (10-06-2012 09:56 PM)HiFlo Wrote:  

Now that the connecting rod in my nissan broke, it will cost almost the same to buy a used car in the 8-10k range as to replace the engine.

Any suggestions for a cool car in that price range that's reliable and still cool? I like sporty looking ones [Image: smile.gif]

What kind of Nissan do you have? I'm finding it hard to believe that it will cost 8-10k to replace the motor [Image: icon_question.gif]

If you like sporty, maybe try a Mazda RX-7 or RX-8. Those can be found used around your price range.

Quote: (10-06-2012 11:04 PM)Architekt Wrote:  

If you like sporty, maybe try a Mazda RX-7 or RX-8. Those can be found used around your price range.

[Image: 2531%20-%20communism%20engine%20rotary%20theory.jpg]

Quote: (10-06-2012 10:01 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

Late BMW e46 (3 series)

exactly what i was going to say

and in fact, i have a 2003 E46 ZHP for sale for around $9000. It is silver with black leather, totally loaded..basically a M3 with four doors.

Love that car...but just got a brand new fully loaded explorer LTD

Quote: (10-06-2012 10:01 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

Late BMW e46 (3 series)

This This This.

Great looking car, even better driving car. Stick with a 5speed.

http://www.e46fanatics.com

Quote: (10-06-2012 10:48 PM)Sanblz33 Wrote:  

What kind of Nissan do you have? I'm finding it hard to believe that it will cost 8-10k to replace the motor [Image: icon_question.gif]

New motor's about 4k, but the car's got a lot of miles on it.

how many miles would you consider "too much" for a used e46? I put maybe 15k miles/yr

Quote: (10-07-2012 02:08 PM)HiFlo Wrote:  

how many miles would you consider "too much" for a used e46? I put maybe 15k miles/yr

I would be more worried about the rear subframe issues on the E46. The motors are pretty reliable.

Get a land rover discovery , in the uk at least its a car with no image and literally says nothing about you. Driven by murderers , housewives and farmers.

I love these old Triumph TR6.

Its been a dream of mine to drive one around southern Europe with a sexy blonde and a trunk strapped to the back rack.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-R2IbsRcqjhGGG0b_u7C...ecCw0Fk6Cw]

[Image: Triumph_TR6_seitlich.jpg]

Quote: (10-07-2012 06:30 PM)Laner Wrote:  

I love these old Triumph TR6.

Its been a dream of mine to drive one around southern Europe with a sexy blonde and a trunk strapped to the back rack.

You sir are a man of class. I have a yellow TR6 like this one, minus the luggage rack. It's been garaged for 30 years and hasn't been started in about 10. I'll be having it fully restored one of these days.

[Image: 824874TR6_57k_medium-med.JPG]

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

I'd go for a 5 year old Honda Accord, Volkswagen Passat, or Nissan Altima, all 3 good cars and can look dope if you get the right model year, it would be sweet to drive a nice used BMW, but from what I understand they are always more expensive to get work done on them, and from my experience cars require a lot of money spent on maintance over the years.

[attachment=8046]

Turn the back into a bed, have a bar and some lighting and you've got the ultimate logistics mobile."girl let's get out of here, my place is just around the corner.

The Beamers are affordable and their motors are reasonably reliable, but they've got too many other problems and are generally too pricy to maintain to fit the criteria this guy's looking for.

Here is a short list of cars I would consider if I were in your position.

[Image: 33511360012_large.jpg]
1. Infiniti G35 (Sedan or Coupe): 03s can be had for under $11k. A little pricy, but arguably the best bang for the buck in its class.

[Image: 05rsxpr-08.jpg]
2. Acura RSX: Easy to find an 02-05 in your range and well below it (sub $8k). Small, sporty coupe popular among young guys. Very reliable, good value.

[Image: acura-tsx-good.jpg]
3. Acura TSX: More mature alternative to the RSX. Small sedan based on the Japanese/European version of the Accord. You can find 04's for $10k or less, though if you can stretch a little ($11K) there are more options.

[Image: 3b5b373ea46e0c0e7b1b216406f05c73x.jpg]
4. Acura TL: The older ones (01-03) are easy to find for south of $10k. For sportiness, shoot for a Type S. Very affordable, super reliable, luxurious (you'll get your leather, sunroof, etc) and cheap.
You can find some newer ones (04's) in this range, but prepare for higher mileage. They're reliable, though, so whether or not you want to deal with that is up to you.

[Image: 0201_08zoom+2002_Honda_Civic_Si+Passenge...t_View.jpg]
5. Honda Civic Si: 02-06 models are available in this range. Small coupe/hatchback, good mileage, popular young guy car.

[Image: tumblr_lhfpn7uF0k1qbzk3o.jpg]
6. Lexus IS300: 01-03, small sporty sedan. Great value, extremely well put together. Not as sharp on the track as the E46 3-Series, but fewer expensive bugs in other areas. Highly recommended-I wanted one of these myself, but financially couldn't make it work.

[Image: tumblr_m6nwbu8i9P1qb9x6lo1_500.jpg]
7. Mitsubishi Eclipse: 02-07, these things depreciated like mad, which makes them easy to find for under $10k. Not terribly exciting, but they look sporty enough and will get you reliably from A to B.

[Image: toyota_celica_01.jpg]
8. Toyota Celica: Another sporty coupe like the Eclipse, though it is smaller and a little sportier. 01-04's are abundant for under $10k. I'd recommend the Celica ahead of the Eclipse, actually.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Great thread. I too am looking for a reasonably priced used car since I am trying to save money.

How bout a used porsche boxster? Is that wise?

Quote: (10-08-2012 09:00 PM)HiFlo Wrote:  

No way. Not at that price point. Factor in Porsche repair prices and you're in another league.

G35 sedan or IS300 gets my vote.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Quote: (10-08-2012 09:00 PM)HiFlo Wrote:  

No, very unwise. The maintenance is likely to get you. If you're looking for a similar concept in a car closer to your price range, consider the following:

[Image: Toyota-MR2-Spyder.jpg]
1. Toyota MR2 (2000-2002)

[Image: mazda_mx_5_miata_special_edition_2003?x=...ICwcA9hA--]
2. Mazda Miata (2000-2005)

Both of these are very affordable used in the 2000-2005 year range (very easy to find for under $10k without absurd mileage), and both are exceedingly reliable. If cheap topless fun is your goal, then go for one of these. Don't overshoot for any Boxster until you've got more cash to draw on.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.