rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Moving Into a New City Where You Don't Speak the Language - Whattaya Need?

I'm considering the idea of starting up a personal concierge service in a city I lived in for a long time where I have solid connections and an understanding of the culture. This would be targeted towards people coming there to stay for long periods of time - mobile entrepreneurs, people on mini-retirements, businesspeople, and expats.

Who knows - if it was successful, I could always even expand to other cities in the country and possibly to several countries. At the moment this is just an idea being rolled around in my dome. I also contacted my designer about building a website to see if I can generate some interest before I even go back there and thus test out the demand a bit.

Here are some of the needs I imagine people would pay to satisfy:

Drive them around in a cush, air-conditioned van to see rentals and negotiate for them
Orientate them on the layout of the city and where the most crucial products, services, and amenities are
Orientate them on the culture and pitfalls
Line up tours, airplane tickets, and other travel plans - but scam free
Take them on visa runs, minus the usual hassle and discomfort
Help them with setting up bank accounts, getting a driving license, dealing with immigration, talking with the police, and other official matters
Taking them shopping for important things like furniture, vehicles, electronics, office equipment, etc - helping to negotiate when possible
Hooking them up with trustworthy lawyers, real estate professionals, private investigators, or business contacts as needed
Guiding with business setup and registration
Lining up long-term transportation
Introducing them to best venues for eating and drinking
Helping to hire a trustworthy maid or whatever other kind of help
Lining up with a good gym
Introducing to all the local spots for just about anything so they can avoid the outsider prices
enrolling in university classes
"ombsbudsman" when they butt heads with a local or a misunderstanding occurs
shipping hard-to-get items into the country
running errands like laundry drop-off/pickup, shopping, etc
Hiring good language tutors or taking them to enroll in the best classes
Act as a driver and "chaperone" for wild nights on the town, taking them to all the hottest spots
Translating for simple things that become huge headaches, like getting standard repair on a house or a car not only communicated but actually performed

I realize people can do these things for themselves if they are adventurous and determined. The point is offering trust, convenience, reliability, and translation for someone in a new environment who wants to get settled in and be shown the lay of the land as seamlessly as possible.

In some cases it would be nothing more than bringing them to the right expert. I've lived abroad and know all too well how relieving it would be to pay for expert local help as long as the price was right.

Any other ideas on what would make settling into a new international home that much easier?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

You know you've got business from myself and a few other guys on here come next year.

Your list looks good. I'm interested in about half of it, I can't think of anything else I would need at the moment. What are your plans with pricing? are you thinking of charging per hour basis? or a package rate?

P.S I can't do a quick reply. It said the subject title is too long, I had to do a full reply and delete the "RE" to work. Perhaps Roosh can shorten the title.

Quote: (09-23-2012 02:14 AM)OldRich Wrote:  

You know you've got business from myself and a few other guys on here come next year.

Your list looks good. I'm interested in about half of it, I can't think of anything else I would need at the moment. What are your plans with pricing? are you thinking of charging per hour basis? or a package rate?

P.S I can't do a quick reply. It said the subject title is too long, I had to do a full reply and delete the "RE" to work. Perhaps Roosh can shorten the title.

Hey OldRich - I've been doing a tiny bit of research online as far as pricing goes, and one site said that anywhere between $15 - $60 per hour was normal, depending on the caliber of the clients. Of course, that range was referring to a personal concierge in a Western country, so given my location and my market (people expecting to pay lower rates in their new home), I'd imagine staying near the lower end of that would be important in order to serve the need adequately and remain competitive. In cases where a vehicle came into play, pricing would obviously need to be slightly higher than normal.

I think it would really depend on the complexity of the task at hand. I would have to take the cost of running a business, marketing, and paying employees into account. Also, it seems like with some things, like a visa trip or sober driving/chauffeuring around the town for for a night out, would be best as a package deal.

I've definitely got to do some more research, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Edit: Went ahead and shortened the title - thanks!

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Awesome idea BB. I'm interested in it. Keep me posted as CM is a place very high on my list when I return to LOS.

Quote: (09-23-2012 01:03 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Awesome idea BB. I'm interested in it. Keep me posted as CM is a place very high on my list when I return to LOS.

Great, Man. You've got my email, so feel free to get in touch any time.

I've been wracking my brain over this idea and I really think there's potential. Not to mention that it fits my personality perfectly - far more so than an export business ever would.

I'm definitely going to continue brainstorming on this.

Beyond All Seas