rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Looking for input on unarmed self defense

As I was browsing the forum, I was struck by this quote

Quote: (08-08-2012 06:11 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I've had this tried on me before more than once. They always give it away somehow but I went along with it anyway because I'm a little sick. Once at huge park two dudes dragged me out into the woods and I blasted one in the head with a boulder I swooped off the ground straight across the face and beat the other one to near death then fucked the girl. I stole their Cutlass supreme and smashed that, stole all their money, drugs and weapons. The one dude I hit with the rock someone told me his half his row of front teeth were dis attached he was in intensive care.

and I realized that I've never been in a serious fight or ganged up on. I'm not looking to bust up some dudes just for kicks, but it would be a good thing to know how to defend myself, or at the very most, to not fear physical confrontation. I'm not going to go looking for fights, but I'd rather not run away like a pussy if it did happen.

Just to frame my post, I'm in my early twenties now, I've been working out for 8 months, and I've put on at least 40 lbs since I graduated high school (not all of it's muscle, some of it's height), so I'm 6'1 at 180 lbs and internet bodyfat percentages tell me I'm at 18% (might be lower, might be higher, I'm not going to buy a calipers to find out). Clearly I have a long way to go, but I'm getting there. I never took any sports when I was growing up because I was a nerdy little shit, which I sorely regret.

Back in public school, I'd get picked on as much as most kids, but I was always friends with the bigger kids so they'd do the intimidation for me if I really needed it. Case in point, one of these guys almost broke the jaw of another dipshit who was picking on me for whatever reason (can't remember exactly why).

What do you guys recommend I should learn? I heard that boxing was good, and as far as I can tell, most martial arts are overhyped. And I'd like to move out of the states, so carrying a pistol is a no-no.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Real self defense situations, unless it's some high/drunk dude or some sort of man duel is usually a Gang vs You or Deadly Weapon vs You situation and your going to get fucked up if you stick around. Or an ambush. Man duels can turn into one of those uneven situations if you win too or even start it. In thailand, if you get into a fight with another thai, all the other thais around you will fuck you up to defend their fellow thai. Bruce lee doesn't get out of that situation if he fights. You also have to worry about the courts if you happen to really injure or kill your attacker.

Physical self defense skills that help are situational awareness, dodging, being able to run the fuck away when someone fit is chasing you and something like pepper spray. Not having glasses or contact lenses that can get punched off your face and compromise your vision helps too. A stab vest might save your life one day. Giving the mugger the $100 in your wallet might save your life. Some muggers are known to cancel the mugging if they know your poor too. Parkour helps in running away.

The real skill is to not to walk into places where something like that is likely. And not letting the situation escalate in the first place. Basically think like a cop does, but also think about not having the law behind you.

What happened in high school were duels, a very different situation. And duels can always turn into something nasty.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/str...hting.html

I highly recommend taking courses in krav maga if available in your area.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Physical self defense skills that help are situational awareness, dodging, being able to run the fuck away when someone fit is chasing

This is the BEST advice you're going to get. Also, you need to know when the fight has started. It's not when the first punch is thrown, it's typically on the approach, and after words are exchanged. This is a clip that always stuck out in my mind. Brad Pitt's character knew the fight was on. David Duchovny is in denial thinking that he can negotiate. Brad Pitt uses a distraction, speed , surprise, and violence of action to execute a "near ambush".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK_q8xnTbJk

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

I recall a website I saw not long ago. It was like "low tech combat" blog.
Good shit. Full of statistics and probably good information on how to carry fistloads and whatever would give you a small edge in a fight.

http://www.lowtechcombat.com/

Here it is

Quote: (08-08-2012 08:35 PM)malc Wrote:  

Real self defense situations, unless it's some high/drunk dude or some sort of man duel is usually a Gang vs You or Deadly Weapon vs You situation and your going to get fucked up if you stick around. Or an ambush. Man duels can turn into one of those uneven situations if you win too or even start it. In thailand, if you get into a fight with another thai, all the other thais around you will fuck you up to defend their fellow thai. Bruce lee doesn't get out of that situation if he fights. You also have to worry about the courts if you happen to really injure or kill your attacker.

Physical self defense skills that help are situational awareness, dodging, being able to run the fuck away when someone fit is chasing you and something like pepper spray. Not having glasses or contact lenses that can get punched off your face and compromise your vision helps too. A stab vest might save your life one day. Giving the mugger the $100 in your wallet might save your life. Some muggers are known to cancel the mugging if they know your poor too. Parkour helps in running away.

The real skill is to not to walk into places where something like that is likely. And not letting the situation escalate in the first place. Basically think like a cop does, but also think about not having the law behind you.

What happened in high school were duels, a very different situation. And duels can always turn into something nasty.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/str...hting.html

That's a fine website you found. This guy seems to know what he's talking about. So basically, the only winning move is not to play. I can dig that.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Dude, u should learn muay boran or some sort of combative art, u be killing people with ur kicks and strikes. Dude, street fights could get rough, some sadistic people would beat u up, intentionally break ur arm, legs, and spine, then put ur head on a curb, and squash it.
Check out butterfly kick, pretty awesome.

Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are legitimate ways to whoop some ass. However, if you are concerned about weapons and/or being jumped by multiple people, look for Krav Maga. But REAL Krav Maga, not the shit they teach at your local Karate studio or 24 Hour Fitness. It may be hard to find legit Krav Maga. So many people teach a bastardized version of it now because it is popular.

Quote: (08-08-2012 11:25 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are legitimate ways to whoop some ass. However, if you are concerned about weapons and/or being jumped by multiple people, look for Krav Maga. But REAL Krav Maga, not the shit they teach at your local Karate studio or 24 Hour Fitness. It may be hard to find legit Krav Maga. So many people teach a bastardized version of it now because it is popular.

Krav maga is developed from street fighting, is meant to take out enemies by hitting their vulnerable spots. Maybe real KRav is too dangerous or hardcore for average person.
I am thinking about learn some martial arts near where I live, if I have some money or someone pays for it.
Is it jujutsu good for disarming, grabs and throws? Muay thai is muai boran with more rules, still a deadly art evolved from combative art.
check out/read about angampora or any pressure point MA, almost lost Sri lankan martial art form focus on pressure points to paralyze and inflict pain. It is amusing that " The British, who occupied the whole island by 1815,[15] and who had full control of it by 1818,[16] issued a gazette banning the practice in 1817, paving the way to its decline.[9] All the Angam Madu were ordered to be burnt and people found practicing the art were shot below their knees.[9][10] But only a few families continued the practice at secretive locations.[4]" quote wikipedia
Martial arts can makes even armed bitches scared. Some deadly, higher level Angam attacks involve the nervous system of human body. If executed properly, they can stop the blood circulation of vital organs, leading to paralysis or even death.

I'll be sure to look for it. I'm not going to compete in MMA as I have no desire to, I just don't want to end up taking a martial art and later figuring out that I was swindled by a McDojo.

I figure that it would be easiest to find a boxing club as far as legitimacy is concerned.

― Donald J. Trump

There can be no fear. Size can be beaten by skill (obviously with limits).

Two words: Bas Rutten.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Senshido is very legit, if there's an instructor in your area. Simple, realistic.

If you want martial arts, Boxing or Judo are excellent. BJJ is great, but not optimial for rapid ass kicking when more than 1 attacker is involved.

Unless they've trained, almost no one can defend even the most basic judo sweeps or trips; they won't even see it coming. You'll also learn plenty of submissions in Judo as well.

I like this place very much:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

A easy, simple and truthful about selfdefense, gyms, "secret martial arts" and more...

Quote: (08-08-2012 11:47 PM)keepreal Wrote:  

Krav maga is developed from street fighting, is meant to take out enemies by hitting their vulnerable spots. Maybe real KRav is too dangerous or hardcore for average person.
I am thinking about learn some martial arts near where I live, if I have some money or someone pays for it.
Is it jujutsu good for disarming, grabs and throws? Muay thai is muai boran with more rules, still a deadly art evolved from combative art.
check out/read about angampora or any pressure point MA, almost lost Sri lankan martial art form focus on pressure points to paralyze and inflict pain. It is amusing that " The British, who occupied the whole island by 1815,[15] and who had full control of it by 1818,[16] issued a gazette banning the practice in 1817, paving the way to its decline.[9] All the Angam Madu were ordered to be burnt and people found practicing the art were shot below their knees.[9][10] But only a few families continued the practice at secretive locations.[4]" quote wikipedia
Martial arts can makes even armed bitches scared. Some deadly, higher level Angam attacks involve the nervous system of human body. If executed properly, they can stop the blood circulation of vital organs, leading to paralysis or even death.

Pressure point based martial arts are bullshit. You ever try to hit a 2 inch by 2 inch surface area with the tips of your fingers? How about when it's attached to something that is moving and trying to kick your ass? BJJ, Muay Thai, Kyukushin, Boxing, Wrestling, and Krav Maga with live training drills work, though.

I feel like this thread has been done multiple times before, though.

Quote: (08-08-2012 11:47 PM)keepreal Wrote:  

I swear, after every one of your posts on this forum, I am literally at a loss for words. You are the most entertaining motherfucker around here right now lol.

^^^ lol.

If you fight someone and use karate chops as opposed to closed fist punches, you may have less of a chance of breaking your hand, but a much higher chance of getting your ass kicked. I would bet that guy has never used karate chops in a real fight against someone who can handle themselves. I think karate chops are a very, very bad idea.

To get tougher you must do two things:
1. Test yourself;
2. Test yourself against others.

Many martial arts are challenging, requiring you to "dig in," or "exercise will" to master the art.

But in a fight, there is another guy.

That other guy is going to have an agenda.

So you have to regularly test yourself against another guy.

That's boxing, jiu jitsu, judo, thai boxing, or MMA. Every class you're going to have a guy trying to kick your ass (though obviously in a controlled environment.)

Most martial arts are fake sparring because "they are too dangerous to do full contact."

If another guy is not trying to hit or choke you, it's dancing not fighting arts.

When a legit fighting art, there is no question about your skill level. You can't live in a your fantasy mind or be a dangerous ninja in your own mind.

Incidentally, the same is true of game.

You can learn all the "dangerous lines" you want. You can practice in a mirror, read books, and give pretend responses.

Until you're going out and putting that shit to work on women, it's all fantasy.

I probably shouldn't have posted that story. Anyway, I like to fight. I was raised that way. I want to fight MikeCF even though I like him.

Quote: (08-12-2012 11:18 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I probably shouldn't have posted that story. Anyway, I like to fight. I was raised that way. I want to fight MikeCF even though I like him.

What story are you talking about?

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (08-12-2012 11:48 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Quote: (08-12-2012 11:18 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

What story are you talking about?
When I stole the Cutlass

Well. I'm not a fighter and when it comes to strength my small ass still has work to do. As you said carrying an armed weapon might cause more problems.

But in situations like that it is good to come prepared with a improvised weapon. An improvised weapon can offer you some more protection but still not be a gun.

Two weeks agom my cousin, friends and I went to this party. While walking to this party, I had grabbed a couple of rocks and placed them in my pocket.

Now when the party had to end due to the cops coming, a fight almost broke out. I was scared, I'll admit. But the weapon that I had made up was going to protect me. I took off one of my socks, placed the rocks and my cellphone in it.

Luckily the police stopped the brawl from occuring, but you get the message. An improvised weapon will help aid you in situations where it calls for it.

Nope.

Quote: (08-12-2012 09:51 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

If you fight someone and use karate chops as opposed to closed fist punches, you may have less of a chance of breaking your hand, but a much higher chance of getting your ass kicked. I would bet that guy has never used karate chops in a real fight against someone who can handle themselves. I think karate chops are a very, very bad idea.

I would definitely be concerned about breaking my hands in a street fight bare-knuckled. It happens during MMA and boxing matches sometimes as well. I think a safe alternative would be palm strikes. It may sound corny but I remember the old Japanese Pancrase fights had them. Only downside I can see is a few inches off of your reach. Hammerfists can work on the ground for GnP.

Then again, I try to avoid street fights as much as possible. All it takes is one slip and a crack of the head on concrete and you're doing time for manslaughter.