rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Uber (private taxi service)

Not sure if any of you have seen this, I just learned about it, there's a private taxi service called Uber: https://www.uber.com/#

They have Android and iPhone apps that let you order cars. Definitely more expensive than a cab, but sometimes it's totally worth it.

Have not used it yet, but have heard good things about it. If there are no cabs around, this may be a good way to solve logistics and arrive at her/your place in style.

Haven't tried it, but downloaded the app when it was mentioned in the Android Apps thread.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Uber = how to live in LA without a car. It makes car services actually usable other than going to the airport.

I think Tim Ferriss is an angel investor in this.

It's great. Can usually get a car on there even when getting a normal car is hard in NYC. Often get escalades or similar comfortable cars.

Only thing that annoys me is I can't see the cost of the ride when booking.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Looks to be about 25% more expensive than Yellow Cab. If you're balling it or got a broad with you I can see using it.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (06-10-2012 09:00 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Looks to be about 25% more expensive than Yellow Cab. If you're balling it or got a broad with you I can see using it.

That's surprisingly reasonable. I thought it would be way more expensive than a regular cab. This is how bitches are gonna see it when I start pulling up in Uber cars for no reason:

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

I thought cabs were expensive, but that's because I'm a cheapskate.

Still, I haven't had a car for a while. I spend a couple hundred bucks a month on getting around, which is a bargain compared to making car payments, insurance, gas, DMV costs, etc...

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

The fares are not to bad. Way cheaper then traditional hired cars.

This is a smart idea I am kicking myself for not starting it up. I had all these ideas back in the day for car related ventures but felt gas prices would make the business toxic in the long run.

But. In the long run it will be interesting how it pans out. These share services can hit rough patches sometimes as has been seen with the bike programs that started up in spots like DC, London, Toronto. They will eventually have to incorporate something else so its not just to rely on user fees.

Rolling with a crew in a spot like NYC or LA and tryna ball the fuck out this service would be a must.

I don't get it ? Why not just phone up and book a cab, if you want a nice car just phone up what round here we call an executive cab service and get a flashier car. I used a normal min cab company in shoreditch a few weeks ago and it was an S-class Merc.

I dated a girl for a few weeks in DC who would only use these. She didn't go into the details, but apparently a few cabbies tried to take advantage of her. This is a big problem in DC with taxis (or so I hear), plus she is the type of girl to get into a cab when she's already way too drunk anyway. Cab was literally there in 2 minutes at my place and all she did was hit a button on her app. She liked the added "security" of knowing who her cab driver was going to be beforehand too.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

I've unfourtanetly been in cabs with gaggles of drunken girls at 3am. A lot of these broads provoke shit and bring it on themselves sometimes. They get waaaaay to drunk and try to flirt with the driver to get food, or a free ride. A big chunk of cabbies are Muslims too so they ain't taking advantage of nobody.. but they will dump you on the side of the road if you pisses them off tho.

My homie has been a cabby for 4 years now. He works the crazy shifts on the weekends because next to doing little kid runs with school, and Airport runs the money can't be beat (In small or mid-sized Cities its good money). But he says a car full of drunken frat boys is way better then a single drunk female you have to babysit. Unless a girl is visibly distraught he just leaves them and drives off lol.

Executive and school kid trips that's where the scratch is at. Long distances ussually and garunteed pay + tips.

Quote:Quote:

Typical Cab - Drunk skank interaction:

Any City - 3:37 Am

Her: "Ohhh I drank waaaay to much, please, please drive me home"
Cabbie "Okay, where do you live? Get in"
Her: "Lessssliiieville.. ugggggghh"
Cabbie "Okay no problem"

... 2 mins later her phones rings

Her: "Blaah blaah fuck you. Your such a bad friend... blaaah blaah arrghh" *screaming*
Cabbie: *cringes*
Her: "I need food! can you go to Mcdess"
Cabbie: "The closet McDonalds still open is quite far, are you sure?"
Her: "Huh? talk english... Mcdees!"
Cabbie: "Miss. It is quite far and will add more money to the trip!"

Her: "Jesus! I just want fuking food.. I have Visa.. just fucking drive there!" *starts sobbing*
Cabbie: *cringes*

Her: "I'll order half the menu... extra beef.. extra nuggets.. blaahh blaah"
Mcdess: "Thats 50 dollars please"

Her: *reaches into bra to grab 50 dollar bill*.. *titty falls out. Does not care* .. "thank you!"

*Arrives on her street*

Her: "stoop stop stop its the red house"
Cabbie" That one on that last block"
Her: "The red house!!"

*does u-turn*

Her: "I need to breath!" *tries to open door*
Cabbie: *opens door thinking she's going to puke*
Her: *stumbles out of cab*
Cabbie: "Miss, excuse me, its 37$"
Her: "I have Visa!" *plummets too ground*
Cabbie: *Gets out and helps her to her door*

Halfway up to her door

Her: "I have no monneeeeeeeyyyy. I lost the 50 dollars I haaaaad"
*Starts sobbing*

Cabbie: .....

[Image: 1325795244_angry_face.gif]

Quote: (06-13-2012 07:01 AM)billy Wrote:  

I don't get it ? Why not just phone up and book a cab, if you want a nice car just phone up what round here we call an executive cab service and get a flashier car. I used a normal min cab company in shoreditch a few weeks ago and it was an S-class Merc.

You don't get it, it can be 4am, you pull out your phone, open the app and hit the "set pickup location" button, 5 minutes later (more or less depending on the city) a car in very good shape pulls up (could be town car, Mercedes, SUV, all have to be inspected and approved by uber), you get in, driver takes you where you want to go, and you get out. No cash, no credit cards, no signing bills, no tips, nothing. The only way you have the same experience is if the driver works for you full time. Users rate the drivers, if their score drops below something like 4.1 out of 5 they are kicked out of uber.

I've been using this more and more. I mean its so much more reliable than calling up a cab or hoping to flag one down. Had a late night dinner last night after some drinking....about 3am was in Venice in a relatively hard place to get a cab...pulled out the phone before I paid the check, summoned a driver and they came like 8 minutes later...walked outside and was driven home. Its a great logistical advantage when its so organized and on-demand like that. cars are much nicer than smelly cabs as well....and the fares were actually comparable or cheaper even.

I've been wondering about doing something like this on the side to make some more money like a part time job. You basically set your own hours whenever you want to work...go to a hot area, just chill and wait for rides to come to you. I mean you go to work for your day job....and if you have some energy, spend a few hours just driving people around and making more $$$$. There's a new service called UberX which is basically things like Toyota Camrys, etc.....not sure on the screening process...LYFT is the same way....the guy I was talking to said uber was taking about a 20% cut....but if you had a towncar, those guys make way more money. I mean an extra few hundred bucks per night versus staying home watching TV or doing something unproductive like that.....not a bad option. the guy who drove lived like 40 miles away in Anaheim and came down to LA to pick people up and drive them around.

old article:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/02/02/t...s-of-uber/

I mentioned Uber in my NYC data sheet. It is invaluable when going to/from the airports.

Because they have fixed Rates on these stretches the driver is as interested as you in getting there fast.

During a slow part of the day a taxi driver won't mind getting you stuck in a jam just to see his fare ticking.

Uber was my killer closer one night.

I live in Manhattan, she was a Thai girl living in Brooklyn. She texted before the date that she was not coming home with me, which I assessed as a shit test so I just pushed forward.

We met at a bar and the rain started - 'look at that!' level rain. In NYC it is *impossible* to hail a cabin in an even moderate level rainfall.

Towards the end she was puzzling how to get back to Brooklyn, I pull out Uber and (it shows the available cars in your hood driving around on a street grid like a video game). I tell her I am going to take Uber home and she can join me, I will still respect her wishes.

She shit tests again, trys to get me to get one car for her and another for me. I dismiss this and Uber my car. 5 minutes later car pulls up and she is done - she hops in car with me, back to my place.

Her resistance lasts 10 minutes at my apartment, then next morning the rain is gone and she walks to the subway.

Sidecar is another player in this area. I had the idea of using Sidecar or Lyft to meet girls, when you have a few hours to kill. These programs encourage the driver to treat the passengers like friends and not their boss.

I have been using Uber for about a year, and use it several times a week. Its perfect for going out because you instantly get a car wherever you are(in NYC), and the town cars and SUV's are much better to make out in over a cab. Totally worth the money if you need a car, I dont even bother to book cars anymore because if you have any experience with booking cars it is one of the worst experiences imaginable.

Quote: (07-05-2013 10:10 AM)Nolecbo Wrote:  

Uber was my killer closer one night.

I live in Manhattan, she was a Thai girl living in Brooklyn. She texted before the date that she was not coming home with me, which I assessed as a shit test so I just pushed forward.

We met at a bar and the rain started - 'look at that!' level rain. In NYC it is *impossible* to hail a cabin in an even moderate level rainfall.

Towards the end she was puzzling how to get back to Brooklyn, I pull out Uber and (it shows the available cars in your hood driving around on a street grid like a video game). I tell her I am going to take Uber home and she can join me, I will still respect her wishes.

She shit tests again, trys to get me to get one car for her and another for me. I dismiss this and Uber my car. 5 minutes later car pulls up and she is done - she hops in car with me, back to my place.

Her resistance lasts 10 minutes at my apartment, then next morning the rain is gone and she walks to the subway.

well I can develop (pay someone to develop) this program. say you requested a ride on the app. It will show up to all registered drivers. (with location info). who ever tabs it first gets the customer. maybe I will charge 10~20 %.

The problem is, all drivers have to be registered? (private taxi is illegal right?), how about insurance?
Transporting human involves more legal problems...I think I'd rather use this for food delivery.

Quote: (07-05-2013 03:13 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

well I can develop (pay someone to develop) this program. say you requested a ride on the app. It will show up to all registered drivers. (with location info). who ever tabs it first gets the customer. maybe I will charge 10~20 %.

The problem is, all drivers have to be registered? (private taxi is illegal right?), how about insurance?
Transporting human involves more legal problems...I think I'd rather use this for food delivery.

As a business, it's pretty complicated to get started. Uber had to fight legal battles in a number of cities as the taxicab comission (and the taxi driver's union) didn't like it at all as it was taking "their" business. I believe they had a massive fight in DC over this. It's going to get worse now that Uber is entering the taxi area (not just black town cars) with their UberTaxi service. Black cars usually fall under livery/hired car regulations, which are sometimes different from taxi regulations. Taxis are a whole different ballgame because in some cities (NYC - taxi medallions can go for $1million+ each) the supply is regulated, and often the price is regulated too.

Then if you started such a business, you'd need to spend big money on marketing as it's a new area and people just don't think much to even look for such a service.. or if they do, they'll think of Uber.

And yeah, insurance also, but that's almost a minor hassle compared to all the rest.

I cant see lyft gaining any ground in any Tier 1 city. There's only a small handful here in chicago. I doubt the city or cab drivers know about it but once they do watch out
City going to stop that in a heartbeat and if they dont expect cab drivers to side swipe them all day.

Same distance comparison of Uber x vs. LA Yellow cab from the other night

Uber X: $18 tip included
Taxi: $19 + $4 tip = $23

taxi driver wanted to scam me by trying to take the freeway assuming I'd do it to "save time" but it was a scam

I used this pretty extensively when I went to Boston awhile back and highly recommend it. You can rate drivers right after your trip and the cars are in much better shape than any yellow cab you'll ride in. In my experience the drivers were really quick too.

Just used it for the first time in DC last week...it's really slick.

I now recommend NOT using Uber, and using Lyft instead, where available.

Main reason: Uber has 5-10x as many users as Lyft, while many of the drivers drive for both services simultaneously. This leads to Uber having higher wait times, and higher prices because surge pricing happens much more frequently on Uber. Virtually every time I've checked, the Lyft wait is 1-2 minutes while Uber's is five.

Lyft is:

Cheaper (rarer surge pricing)
Faster to arrive
Less shady - there are many instances of Uber engaging in shady behavior, and I try to avoid rewarding companies who do that.