rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The PIE method of networking

I've rearranged my career recently mostly through networking, but I'm still busy reading through all the stuff I meant to read while relatively unemployed. I'm almost done reading up everything I got on networking, especially as it relates to jobhunting. I've reached the point of diminishing return in terms of reading - I've promised myself to no longer read networking books, but rather to spend that time doing real-world networking. I'm hoping to develop a system whereby any person with vocal cords and high school education can develop a network.

I've already discussed the John Davies system of networking here and the Simon Black system here.

I will now discuss a system of networking presented in a very popular jobhunting manual. Robert Bolles' book 'What color is your parachute?' has an extremely basic, 'elderly opener' networking system that has been adapted from systems developed by John Crystal and Daniel Porot. It is referred to as the 'PIE method'.

It is more of a interviewing system, with the idea that it eventually gives you the social skills needed to win a job interview. It is a very easy system, which basically asks only that you identify an interest, and arrange an interview with someone regarding that interest. The PIE method therefore only covers what I consider the hardest part of network - the approach - with a very laid back elderly opener-style invitation to an interview.

The PIE method divides approaching into 3 categories:
P - Approaching for Pleasure or Practice
I - Approaching for Information or an Introduction
E - Approaching for Employment

If you have no social skills or you are extremely introverted, it is suggested by the author that you first approach people for Practice/pleasure. This is how it's done:
- Choose a topic, anything, that is a pleasure for you to talk about with family/friends
- Since this is for practice/pleasure, avoid anything related to your career goals.
- Consider hobbies, leisure time enthusiasms, long-time curiosity, an aspect of where you live, an issue you feel strongly about
- This topic should be something that although you have enthusiasm for, you should have some gaping hole in your knowledge regarding the topic
- Now find someone you've never met how may know something about the topic
- Contact that person and ask for ten minutes only of their time to ask some questions. If you're rejected, find someone else. If they accept, stick to ten minutes only.
- Ask them questions about the topic
- Towards the end of the interview, ask 'Who else would you suggest I go talk to who shares this interest?' Get a list of referrals.
- Ask if the person would be willing to give a quick call to just one referral just to mention that you will be calling to arrange an interview.

P-Interviewing summarised in a flow chart:
[Image: attachment.jpg6503]   

Next is interview networking for a specific goal. Maybe you want information about job opportunities, or you're planning to start a business and need more info before you commit.
- Define who you are, what information you need, what company you want an introduction to
- If you're looking for information: Send an introductory note along the lines of, 'I'm in need of more information about xxx, than I've been able to find out so far. I'm told you could be really helpful to me. I'm wondering if you could spare eighteen minutes of your time this week or next, for me to come over and ask you these questions I have about xxx. I'm not looking for a job at the moment, I'm just trying to find information at present. Could I make a brief appointment with you? I'm very good at observing time limits. I only need eighteen minutes, but I'd like to be present in person rather than just over the phone or emails. Thanks very much for your courtesy.'
- Even if you are looking for a job, do NOT use this method to ask for one directly. You are merely collecting information, have some questions handy to make you seem legit. Play it indirectly.
- If you're specifically looking for an introduction with the aim of getting into a company, then send an introductory note along the lines of, 'You and I (here mention something you two have in common). And I'm told that you know the people at (target company/organisation). Do you think we could meet for coffee or something, as I have a few matters I need your advice on. I'll stick strictly to our time limit. I only need twenty minutes. Thanks for your courtesy, if you can do this for me; I'll really appreciate it."
- If your target responds positively, then prepare your questions, dress well, arrive early, but appear on their doorstep only at the appointed time, relax
- If you are specifically trying to find information to start your own business, you need to find out what skills,knowledge, experience it takes to make the business work
- First, write out in as much detail about the business you wish to engage in
- Identify similar business in towns or cities 50 miles away; identify at least 3 businesses in each town. You don't want to talk to the business owners in your own area, as the local business will not want to talk to a potential competitor
- Arrange to drive out to meet the owners of the businesses
- When you talk to them, you explain that you're exploring the possibility of opening your own business.
- Then ask what skills, knowledge, experience are necessary to make such a business a success.
- Once you've had 3 useful interviews (out of many), you can then compare what you've learnt to what you have. This will allow you to plan ahead for any potential deficits in your skills, knowledge and experience, should you choose to go ahead with your business idea.

Here's a flow diagram for I-networking:
[Image: attachment.jpg6504]   

The last method of networking is by attending employment interviews. Outside from the obvious (getting a job and then networking in your workplace), employment interviews should also be seen as opportunities to network.
- Always send a thank you note
- If you don't get the job, let them know you are still interested in any openings in the future
- Get feedback. Say, 'You know, I've been to several interviews at several different places, and I keep getting turned down. From what you noticed, is there something about me that caused me not to get hired at those places? I'd really appreciate your giving me some pointers so that I can do better in future interviews.'
- Don't take criticism personally, no matter how painful
- Try to sneak in a request for an introduction to someone who may be useful to know for someone in your situation

In my next post on networking I'm going to list all the best resources I've found on networking and jobhunting, basically a novice's self-study curriculum for networking. Because if you think a well-written resume is going to get you a job, you're doing it wrong.

Have you considered starting a networking blog?

Been a few of these posts so he certainly seems to be taking it seriously.

I can simplify things for you Thomas, because you cannot approach human relationships in such an analytical way. People will think you suffer from Aspergers with all this. These guys are trying to sell books, but quite honestly there is not enough there to write an entire book over it.

Just help people. Nothing more, nothing less. And do so without any expectation of anything in return. It builds trust and obligation. Put people in touch with each other, get them talking to each other, give them information, help them without any expectation of reward or anything in return, hand them leads, get them out to lunch so you can introduce them to each other. They return the favours in droves, and the more people you are doing it for the quicker your network grows. That is how you build networks and contacts, because its reciprocal, and eventually people dont even see what you are doing as a sale. If they step on toes, you cut them off.

This is what the greatest capitalists in the world, the mafia, have been doing for over a 100 years. Networking is about nothing more than favours.

@Hooligan Harry, I don't at all disagree. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the following questions? I think it would be really helpful for the more introverted/clueless among us:

1) I find that the hardest part of networking is the approach. What is your typical approach like? Do you identify people to approach or do you just tag random people you meet as suitable for further networking?

2) If someone has NO contacts and NOTHING to his name, how would you suggest he begin adding value to his fledgeling network?

3) Since networking is 'meeting people after you've met them', how on earth do you keep in touch with an entire huge pool of contacts? This has also been a stumbling block for me, I just don't have much time at the moment to integrate the people I've met into my network (although that's probably due to the fact that I'm working 2 jobs at the moment)

@Roosh, once my life is a bit more organised I am going to dedicate a specific amount of hours to networking per week; at that point I may consider blogging about my approaches and progress. I would like to one day write the networking equivalent of 'Bang'.

Quote: (06-14-2012 11:58 PM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I find that the hardest part of networking is the approach. What is your typical approach like? Do you identify people to approach or do you just tag random people you meet as suitable for further networking?

Bud, if there is one thing I have learned is that you never know who is going to be worth having around. Sure, the Warren Buffets of the world everyone wants on speed dial, but for the most part you would be surprised at who is connected to whom and what comes from these things. All these target lists and what not are going to make people want to avoid you because there is motivation in your company. People despise this.

You could meet some drunk assed slob at the local bar, and the dude could be the brother of a CEO heading up a company looking for your products that they spoke of the night before. Think of everyone, remember everyone, ask them for nothing until they are in your debt and dont feel like they are being put out by your requests.

I dont look for anything from people, I just show a sincere interest them. Get them talking about themselves, what they do, what they think about certain things. Build rapport with them in the same way you would someone you were just introduced to or just like some chick at a bar. Dont judge a book by its cover, never presume anything and never make promises you cant keep. Never interrogate people, let them volunteer the information themselves

Commit people to memory, and if you remember a guy sold photo copiers or bred dogs, the minute someone is looking for a copier or someone is looking to join a breeding club, put them in touch with each other. It may not happen in the first few days, it may happen only in a year, but people remember it and often return the favour.

Quote:Quote:

If someone has NO contacts and NOTHING to his name, how would you suggest he begin adding value to his fledgeling network?

Start with the people you know. Help your friends and family at first and start to leverage off who they know. Same goes for any professional contacts you may have. These things happen gradually, you cant force them. Networking is about opportunity, and you need to be across opportunities for everyone else too even when you dont benefit from it. What tends to happen is that it mushrooms, and your own contacts list grows off the back of it, along with the relationship you have with people. Its not built off a formula, its built off something you have done with people already.

If you want to, there are a ton of networking events that are held in most cities. 9 times out of 10 it is full of retards and people with 20 billion different small businesses, but its a start and they are open to the idea of working with new people too.

Also, find a few people who are good networkers themselves, and when you do you treat these relationships like gold. It happens by chance, you cant force it.

Quote:Quote:

Since networking is 'meeting people after you've met them', how on earth do you keep in touch with an entire huge pool of contacts? This has also been a stumbling block for me, I just don't have much time at the moment to integrate the people I've met into my network (although that's probably due to the fact that I'm working 2 jobs at the moment)

You dont have to. Its psychobabble, and you dont need to keep in touch with the whole world. Keep in touch with the people who you enjoy being around. When opportunities come, filter them out to people you know or have met in the past.

"Hey I know a guy"
"Mate, I got a guy out in Melbourne that was having the same shit. I know him well enough, let me give him a call and tell him to catch up with you when you in town"
"Not something I would do, but I have dealt with such and such and they are pretty solid. Ill get him to give you a call"
"Mate, Ill email through the details of someone that can maybe help you and introduce them, I know them and they will look after you"

Simplify it all down to one thing. Help people without expectation of anything in return and value their time. Constantly be looking for opportunity, and when you see it pass it on if you cant do something with it yourself. You dont even need to qualify it, that you helped someone is often enough

Thats all there is too it.

Harry - How do you decide who is a crap link? For instance, during my general encounters, I find that there are some people who have no value even being in my phone book. There may be a chance that these people may help me out but I despise their vibe so much that I feel it's better that I just delete them.

To give an example, when I meet people in a casual setting and we end up talking, I mention my goals and aspirations and often some mirror the same thing, with the wish to accomplish something great themselves. At times (more often than not), I find them to be flakes, with lots of promises and very unreliable.

How do you filter out crappy links like this? Do you delete such people once they have failed to prove reliability or do you keep them around just in case?

I'd rather not have bums in my phone book. However, there are some people who NEVER delete contacts and when a favour is needed, they run through ALL the numbers they have accumulated until they hit gold.

How do you deal with this? Do you delete the numbers of unreliable people to you or do you keep everyone stored somewhere?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

People are a lot of hot air, and they love to talk about things. I know people who have a different business idea every other week, but they never do anything about it. There is a not a person on this planet who does not have a ton of great ideas or does not see the opportunity in something, but the people who act on it all are very few and far between. Still, what builds a strong network are people like this too, because they all work jobs and they all know people too.

The best thing to do is be circumspect with who you give information too. Never tell people about what you want to do or would like to do. Let them talk and get them to tell you their life story. When someone is the sort that is doing something about it, then you can try and get creative with them. If they are not doing anything, know they are a wage slave and are likely to remain so.

With regards to networking, people of all stations are valuable. The barman, the bouncer, the geek in the IT department, the 60 year old war horse in engineering. Everyone knows someone, and what you want to do is throw people a bone as often as you can. Sometimes they repay you, sometimes you get nothing for it. Its just a pit you keep throwing things into and you wait and see what happens.

Cut the pests off though. There are so many nutbags and sociopaths out there its not funny. Hard to spot them sometimes, but if a guy seems like he is full of shit, he normally is. And if people are a little too easy, then you know they have nothing of substance to offer. They are looking to ride your coat tails

I was going to start a thread entitled "Investing in People" but a quick use of the search function let me know that Hooligan Harry has covered the topic more eloquently and perceptively than I could have ever done. Though I've never met him he's someone I admire and greatly respect.

Back to my own ideas, to me investing in people is vital for longevity and success in your career. Keep everyone on side. Cultivate mentors. Get to know people in high places across all departments who could be future gatekeepers for a promotion. But also treat your peers with great respect. You never know if one day they will be your boss or a future person of influence in your industry.

Do not sleep around at work. If you're going to bang someone at work better put a ring on it. Protect your personal brand like gold. Keep your reputation clean. Even though you are a dirty dog on weekends, keep this under wraps. Never use social media at work or put risky images or statements out there under any account with your name to it.

Always remember that perception is reality. Dress well, stay sharp, smile, do not look rushed or stressed. Be immaculate in your presentation and remember: preparation, preparation, preparation. Draw your associates towards you and earn their confidence in you. Project an aura of composure and dependability. You earn people's trust, you do not take it from them.

There are no shortcuts. Iron discipline and routine will be the foundation of success with other people. Always acknowledge another person's help or assistance, buy them a bottle of wine if you think it appropriate or write a kind thank you letter via email. These thank you emails show you respect people who look out for you. You do not take people for granted, ever.

Years of small gestures will reward you in the future. You might not know who the reward will come from, or when, but that's the whole point. Because you don't know, and cannot know, everyone at work should be treated with respect and loyalty.

Disassociate yourself from "victim mentality" colleagues and haters. But don't trash talk them behind their back, don't trash talk anyone. You are the consummate professional.

People like people "who are real". That means you genuinely do care about and take an interest in other people at work, not simply because you want something from them. You genuinely feel appreciation for your position at work. You genuinely try and put yourself in other people's shoes, rather than try and impose your viewpoint on them.

In order to rise up the ranks you need to be good at what you do but also project leadership. Leadership is about taking people with you. You will be a successful leader when your team want to follow you, not because you threaten them through intimidation. Happy people are successful people.

I am still young and about to start out in my career but I learned these lessons from my mum who is immensely respected by her work colleagues and runs a large team at one of the world's great multi-national companies. She gets paid well, very well, but she got to her position by seeing people as her greatest investment rather than objectify people as a means to a financial end.

Very few successful people do it alone. You will need to harness the power of others and they will rely on you in a series of interdependent (rather than independent) relationships. Networking is not a one-way transaction. It is a two-way and enduring relationship founded on mutual trust and respect.

Similar to what HH said, look out for people, and take your personal brand seriously, and people will look out for you.

That's all there is to it.