rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What gadgets do you travel with?

In order from most important to least...

-Acer Aspire TimelineX laptop - trackpad busted under 2 years, not satisfied with the product

-Samsung Exhibit II 4G - Android phone I just got. Besides being a nice phone it's very useful in taking long notes in the field.

-Kindle (keyboard model) - every few days I give it a hug and kiss.

-Logitech USB Speakers - a little big but I won't leave home without them. Makes travel more comfortable for me.

-SanDisk Fuze mp3 player - I use this primarily for doing Pimsleur courses.

-Canon SD1400 camera - barely use this, it's probably going to be my last dedicated camera

HTC desire HD
Clunky abused inspiron 1525
Plantronics Voyager + Bluetooth headset
Logitech Z-500 Bluetooth speaker
Logitech Skype headset
500gb Verbatim USB 3 portable hard drive
Sony Alpha A200 Dslr camera
External wireless card for hacking peoples WiFi
2x usb broadband modems

I don't travel light

Similarly I do carry

Kindle with me when I travel...

I-Phone : Can be used to surf the net sitting at coffee shops even when not connected to 3G network and using free wifi and or Use Internet based telephone apps etc.

Roosh Why not Invest in a older version of I Phone like 3G, 3GS or a 4 G, get it unlocked and insert a sim card any where in the world and you have your MP3 player, Camera and Phone in One Gadget.

Also not to sound like a Apple salesman but MacBook will definitely last more then 2 yrs, I have one for the last 4 yrs , no troubles so far.

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Quote:Quote:

Roosh Why not Invest in a older version of I Phone like 3G, 3GS or a 4 G, get it unlocked and insert a sim card any where in the world and you have your MP3 player, Camera and Phone in One Gadget.

Don't do this. I have an iPhone 4, about a year and a half old. I can't wait to get rid of it. It's terrible for traveling. Basically, the database seems to get corrupted about every 3 to 6 months. That wouldn't be a big deal normally, you could just wipe everything and put your music back in. However, if you're relying on jailbreaking and/or gevvy simming to unlock your phone, it's a huge deal.

Every time you need to reformat your phone, Apple forces you to download the latest version of the iOS and firmware. That in turn shuts out all the latest versions of gevvy sim and software unlocks. In other words, even if you get your phone to unlock, Apple will regularly fuck you over.

In short, get a phone that's designed to be traveler friendly, rather than a phone that goes out of its way to be traveler unfriendly. I'm never buying an Apple product again.

16 Countries in Under 2 Years and Counting - How I Fund My Travels: http://www.EarnOnTheRoad.com

I guess I am addicted to I-Phone.

I have a 4GS here in US that i don't use outside US and is pure legit, I also have my older 3GS that is Unlocked and Jail broken and I do not update it and use effortlessly outside US only.

Yes Apple regularly fuck you over but I think I phone as a smartphone combines a lot of Gadgets and serves it's purpose well.

Anyways different strokes for different folks........

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

eeepc701 - an awesome (but outdated) small 7" netbook that has no moving parts inside (solid state drive)

kobo touch - a better cheaper alternative to the kindle imo. The two big features it has over the kindle is touch capability and epub support.

ipod video (1st gen) - got it as a gift, never used the video because the processor was too slow to play anything and it ate up too much battery. Would not buy again.

Linksys Wusb600nV2 Wireless N USB stick + 6ft usb cable

When you land, go to your nearest dollar store and buy a soup strainer (or other parabolic looking dish) for 2$, then use a knife or scissors to cut a small hole in it and stick in your wifi stick through it. Instant conversion from omnidirectional to directional wifi which significantly boosts your range and performance due to physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WokFi

The items I roll with are pretty similar:

- Mac Book Pro 15" (running Windows primarily but dual boot so you can also start it in MAC OS X)- Just switched it from a Dell Studio due to the battery life being exponentially better which is crucial when often on the road and possibly not having power.

- Android G2 (unlocked) with spare battery

- X Mini Max Speakers- They are small and pack a lot of punch for your ipod to be played on the beach or adding power to weak computer speakers to create a mood for wherever you are staying.

- Amazon Kindle (keyboard edition with 3g)- I don't think I can deal with paper books ever again after using a kindle.

-Pentax Optio Camera- Also rarely used as I tend to take pictures with my phone more than anything. The G2 is not the best for photos but it does suffice in most instances.

-Wireless USB Sticks (SIM Based)x 2- One for TMobile because in the US they force you to use theirs for 3G+ service. Then I carry another which is a ZOOM 4596 3G Broadband Modem for which you can stick a data SIM card from any country in it and now your have an internet connection on your laptop.

Two of the most important things which fall under the gadget umbrella for me are software related and they sync everything automatically between my phone and computer.

They are:

Evernote (http://www.evernote.com): Which lets you capture anything, notes, pictures, webpages, etc and syncs them all automatically to the desktop client that you also get. The features are too extensive to even talk about, so I just recommend checking it out, you will NOT be disappointed.

Dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com): This is crucial for someone who needs to access documents on their computer remotely and from anywhere. All your docs are stored on a server and then you can access from your phone or computer anytime you have internet access. Crucial for me.

I just discovered today that it now has the option of automatically syncing all your pictures from your phone as well. This is nice because now I don't need to manually load pictures from my phone to my computer anymore (via sd card or usb cable) as they are automatically there after taking them.

How do you do this?

Wireless USB Sticks (SIM Based)x 2- One for TMobile because in the US they force you to use theirs for 3G+ service. Then I carry another which is a ZOOM 4596 3G Broadband Modem for which you can stick a data SIM card from any country in it and now your have an internet connection on your laptop.

So you get a data package from the SIM card provider, right?

Wireless USB Sticks (SIM Based)x 2- One for TMobile because in the US they force you to use theirs for 3G+ service. Then I carry another which is a ZOOM 4596 3G Broadband Modem for which you can stick a data SIM card from any country in it and now your have an internet connection on your laptop.

So you get a data package from the SIM card provider, right?
[/quote]

For the T-Mobile yeah I pay $20/month which gets me 2GB of data which seems to be plenty for me so far even if streaming music etc. The Zoom stick is used internationally only for me. So for instance a couple weeks ago in Rio I just bought a SIM card with phone and data for my local cell # ($15 which was more than enough for phone, text, and internet for 4 days) and then if I needed the web on my computer I just popped the SIM into the USB stick and off I was. Worked a charm. If I was there for an extended period I would have just had two SIM cards, one dedicated for phone and the other dedicated for my USB stick.

Quote: (05-01-2012 05:59 PM)Qwest Wrote:  

-Wireless USB Sticks (SIM Based)x 2- One for TMobile because in the US they force you to use theirs for 3G+ service. Then I carry another which is a ZOOM 4596 3G Broadband Modem for which you can stick a data SIM card from any country in it and now your have an internet connection on your laptop.

Question-So with one of these dealios I can pull the SIM card out of my Android and viola, I have better wireless reception? Basically works like an aircard?

I'm assuming my phone won't work without the card but I can get another I assume....

Quote: (05-01-2012 05:56 PM)Lothario Wrote:  

I guess I am addicted to I-Phone.

I have a 4GS here in US that i don't use outside US and is pure legit, I also have my older 3GS that is Unlocked and Jail broken and I do not update it and use effortlessly outside US only.

Yes Apple regularly fuck you over but I think I phone as a smartphone combines a lot of Gadgets and serves it's purpose well.

Anyways different strokes for different folks........
I used mine with ATT in the DR but my new service wont work there. So iphone three and you can find a sim that will work in other countries?

To hack someone's wifi, you will need a wifi card that is capable of packet injection. The poster above probably uses an external card b/c the one in his laptop can't do it, but you may not need one depending on what laptop you have. You also need a bit of basic networking and linux knowledge.

Most hacking tools are written for linux, so you need to install that either on a USB stick or turn your machine into a dual boot one. The most popular distribution for hacking is called Backtrack but it doesn't matter that much which one you use if you know what you are doing.

hxxp://www.backtrack-linux.org/

The first thing you have to find out is what kind of encryption scheme the router is using. If it is WEP, you can break that on your laptop in about 2 minutes. You do this by using a group of programs collectively called Aircrack-ng. There are lots of video tutorials online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3seUWVK_Tb0

If the encryption is WPA or WPA2, you cannot crack this on a laptop quickly. What you have to do is copy the encrypted password file and then bruteforce it on a desktop computer with a decent gfx card. Alternatively, you set up Amazon's EC2 super computing servers to break it for you or use a commercial service. Each of these options cost a bit of money.

hxxps://www.wpacracker.com/
hxxp://arstechnica.com/getting-it-done/2012/03/cracking-the-cloud-an-amazon-web-services-primer.ars

Kindle
I-phone
Noise-Cancelling headphones
Camera equipment (2-3 bodies, 4+ lenses)

Everything else is negotiable.

Qwest: Great info I'm definitely going to try. I've paid a lot of money in the past in finding foreign apartments that have internet. This looks like a practical solution.

Quote: (05-01-2012 06:30 PM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

Question-So with one of these dealios I can pull the SIM card out of my Android and viola, I have better wireless reception? Basically works like an aircard?

I'm assuming my phone won't work without the card but I can get another I assume....

Yes, as long as you have a data plan on the SIM card then you just pop it into the USB stick and now it works just like an aircard, yes. You're right that your phone won't work without the SIM, so like you said you just get an extra one. I would only carry one USB stick (the Zoom one as it is ready for any SIM worldwide), but T-Mobile, a lot like the pricks at Apple, fuck you over by ONLY giving you there shit Edge service and not 3 or 4G UNLESS you have their own USB stick. That's why I carry one for domestic and one for international but they are so damn small it doesn't really matter.

Quote: (05-01-2012 06:41 PM)Qwest Wrote:  

Yes, as long as you have a data plan on the SIM card then you just pop it into the USB stick and now it works just like an aircard, yes. You're right that your phone won't work without the SIM, so like you said you just get an extra one. I would only carry one USB stick (the Zoom one as it is ready for any SIM worldwide), but T-Mobile, a lot like the pricks at Apple, fuck you over by ONLY giving you there shit Edge service and not 3 or 4G UNLESS you have their own USB stick. That's why I carry one for domestic and one for international but they are so damn small it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the info Qwest. I'm going to give this a roll as using my phone as a wireless hotspot has become extremely aggravating due to poor signal.

I have US Cellular so we'll see what happens.

Quote: (05-01-2012 06:15 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

How do you do this?

Here is an oldie but goodie
youtube.com/watch?v=7tIO5eDnitM

Quote: (05-01-2012 06:47 PM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

Quote: (05-01-2012 06:41 PM)Qwest Wrote:  

Thanks for the info Qwest. I'm going to give this a roll as using my phone as a wireless hotspot has become extremely aggravating due to poor signal.

I have US Cellular so we'll see what happens.

My pleasure. I would try the Zoom USB stick as it got good universal reviews (sold on Amazon) and try it with your SIM and you should get 3 or 4G, whatever it is US Cellular has.

Macbook (I'm taking a macbook air on my next trip but my macbook has way more storage capacity for old pics, movies, etc but it is heavier). I don't like the weight of it, but I love the stuff it can do with photos, videos, all my emails, etc.

Iphone 3GS (old one that's unlocked for foreign sim cards). I wish I had an unlocked android or Iphone 4S but I don't want to spend the money on one. I load songs on here too. I have a few different earburds I use. I like the ones with microphones built in b/c I can use it for skype too. One thing that is new on the iphones is SKYPE wifi. So on various wifi spots with partnerships with skype you can use skype credit to hop on and off (for example, Boingo at Heathrow). I use the same thing on my mac, but good to have on a phone. I do have an android but I don't use it internationally since I am on sprint.

Canon S95: Awesome digital camera that can take sweet pictures at night/low light and HD video. Wish I had the newer version that has 1080 video and Geotagging on it.

Kodak Waterproof Playsport. I use this if there's water or doing outdoor activities. Pools, beaches, hiking, etc where I don't want to take my Canon. I don't bring it every time but it takes up very little room and adds a different dimension. Takes HD video and some crappy 5MP shots. I never take a nice camera or cell phone to the beach or pool so this is what goes with me, it zips up in my swim trunk pocket and I can go in the water with it.

USB flash drive: always handy for sharing photos with others, transferring files, etc.

Kindle: I always mean to use it but I never do. I only read on the beach, and I prefer magazines. On planes and trains I just sleep.

Pocket notebook and a quality pen like a Pilot G-2: I took up the habit after the second time I dropped my phone into the ocean. As much as the high tech is fun to look at, there's something to physically writing down things to remember. And you can't rip open a page off your cellphone to give to somebody else. If your penmanship is any good, it can work as a nice accent to a first impression.

Laptop - Used to take big clunky 15" screen laptops but will be scaling down to a netbook because of the smaller weight and screen size.
Phone - Got a HTC Sensation XL. Good for photos as well as being a phone.
USB Keys - Always take a few 16mb USB keys
External HDD - Take a 1tb HDD when I travel. Good for storage and also has a number of movies on it which you can copy onto a USB and play on latest TV's

Since I've been doing alot of weekend-week long trips.

All I take is my 2 phones.
Samsung epic 4g
Which is from Sprint. Which means no service while i've been living in europe.
But It works as a Camera,Gps+Maps,Music/Video player and Kindle app.. When available Wifi internet.
I also have 3 spare batteries. so instead of carrying a charger. I can just use 1 battery a day

Second phone is a piece of shit i bought for 20 bucks in a substation.
The battery literally will last a week..even when I use the phone often
If my trip is 4 days or less..I wont even bring the charger
I use a prepaid company that is 9cent per minute/text and like 14ct when im not in that country.

What else do I need?

* I recently bought the cheapest gsm android I could find Samsung Galaxy y[Image: samsung-galaxy-Y-S5360.jpg]
So now ill carry 3 cell phones. but the piece of shit 20eur one is
and 16eur a month I all the internet i need.

I also own a nikon p7000
Anyone that wants dslr quality pictures. should look into bridge cameras
They have all the options of a dslr but no bulk. Fits in my pocket.
but i don't take it out often

I am the cock carousel

for those with sprint, you can have it merge and use as a Google Voice number. Meaning, you can text for free from your laptop or when you're on a wifi spot via google voice. I used it last year in spain, I didn't get the voice to work in gmail chat so I couldn't make outgoing and incoming calls (didn't try all that much) but I have a skype out number anyway. really useful.

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/sprint/

lookit you fools traveling with all that shit. i carry only 2 real electronic devices:

iphone
ipad
ipad keyboard case (zaggmate)
spare iphone battery (its a dock charger too!)

plus requisite chargers. i also wear a fitbit most of the time, but that hardly counts.

ipads with external keyboards can replace a laptop and save pounds and space. iphone cameras keep getting better so unless youre trying to look cool or are a pro, no need for a DSLR.

headphones are great too, but i usually buy big thick cans that intentionally take up space. i dont lose those like i do with earbuds, and they make for great noise reduction on planes and in rooms with snoring roommates.

I do a lot of consulting where I need to edit documents and send lots of emails, multiple recipients...ipad would just be way too slow for me personally.

I would love to do ipad only but its not realistic for my needs. And a good camera helps take artsy photos. the S95 is pocket sized and is infinitely better than an iphone camera. I enjoy the nice photos, so it is useful for me.

I never check in luggage too. so not that big of a deal. the big thing is consolidating wires IMO....sometimes take more room than devices! little packing cubes or zip up pouches are invaluable.

oh yeah, I like to take a moleskin and a pen. sometimes the digital world doesn't cut it.