rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Time vs Money = The Mexican Fisherman

The Mexican Fisherman

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "only a little while."

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then?"

The American laughed and said that's the best part. "When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions.. Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

Thumbs up, nice story.

A feel good story for the poor, but not reality. Life's a peach when everything goes well and then someone close to you gets sick and you have no money to take care of them.

You don't have to make millions, but you should have money in the bank in case shit happens.

Quote: (03-25-2012 06:58 PM)OldRich Wrote:  

A feel good story for the poor, but not reality. Life's a peach when everything goes well and then someone close to you gets sick and you have no money to take care of them.

You don't have to make millions, but you should have money in the bank in case shit happens.

Reality is subjective. Stop projecting and being negative on my thread..and that's what health insurance is for.

Sounds good, but in reality I want to experience my life. Sitting on a beach doing nothing all day, gets pretty boring really fast. I want a life full of stories!!!

Can't you just read a story and put aside your need to criticize?

This "parable" has always stuck with me the first time I probably saw it 5-10 years ago.

For me it wasn't a feel good story for a poor economic situation. It was a protest against shitty work-life balance or live to work mentality, because for the longest time I was caught in crazy hours office jobs (but now work independently as mentioned in another thread).

I was making good money, but what good was it if at the end of the day I have no one waiting for me. Tattered social life. Little genuine interaction with women and living in a city I hated despite all it's great opportunities. Excluding a healthy bank account the main recognition of my existence was a work e-mail address.

I really enjoy this story.

Here is a very relevant Alan Watts cartoon posted by Roosh

I also think that sometimes on this board people can be overly critical in a haste to add value or appear intelligent. This is common in message boards though.

If by "add value" you mean "inject extremely personal opinions", and by "appear intelligent" you mean "make it clear they can't understand the metaphor" then yes - at least in this thread.

Very cool story.

Quote: (03-26-2012 01:24 AM)Zampano Wrote:  

If by "add value" you mean "inject extremely personal opinions", and by "appear intelligent" you mean "make it clear they can't understand the metaphor" then yes - at least in this thread.

Very cool story.

Do you have trouble reading? I mean what I said. Dude was being overly critical in an attempt to add value.

And you just illustrated my point. You are nitpicking my post in an attempt to appear intelligent.

Wow. I was agreeing with you. Lighten up.

Its very simple. If you don't understand the meaning behind this story ( the metaphor) than don't post a comment. I have heard this story in several versions but the essence is great.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Quote: (03-25-2012 08:26 PM)patron Wrote:  

Sounds good, but in reality I want to experience my life. Sitting on a beach doing nothing all day, gets pretty boring really fast. I want a life full of stories!!!

Agreeded but more important to me is having that option, whether I exercise it or not.

Quote: (03-26-2012 03:29 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

Its very simple. If you don't understand the meaning behind this story ( the metaphor) than don't post a comment. I have heard this story in several versions but the essence is great.

Exactly Neil, gracias.

Love this story. Use to have it tacked up on my wall. Re-read it a couple of days ago and was gonna post it here but forgot. For people who don't "get" the story, it isn't about being poor and sitting on the beach all day. Don't read so deeply into it. It is about not having to work countless hours to make lots of money to buy shit that you don't need, and that won't make you happy. Life isn't about the size of your house, or the shit you put in it.

Love the story, very Taoist in it's teaching. +1

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.

This thread is the first time I've seen it, thanks for posting. I felt this personal little epiphany as you read the last paragraph, and had a beaming smile of understanding.

Quote: (03-26-2012 02:07 AM)Blunt Wrote:  

Quote: (03-26-2012 01:24 AM)Zampano Wrote:  

Very cool story.

Do you have trouble reading? I mean what I said. Dude was being overly critical in an attempt to add value.

And you just illustrated my point. You are nitpicking my post in an attempt to appear intelligent.

Lol yeah, that's pretty hilarious.

Not at all, the poor (&average) will always have to work to make money. They'll never be able to go against the stream and become someone. A person working +60h/week and earning just 10000 euro's is a nobody. He ain't rich, successful and will never make anything out of his life.

The key is to make enough money (ideally on a short term), invest and live a great life without 'I have to's' but only 'I want to's'. If I want I'm able to take on many projects & startup some more companies. But why would I want to do that, to make more & loose all my free time, skip traveling and become an average hard working john doe? No thanks.

I was trolling a little. Sorry feelings were hurt.

It's a great feel good story for everyone!

I have to say I'm with oldrich on this one.
I grew up poor for the first 6 years of my life and its not sweet at all. It's a long story, but I remember it and it was thoroughly shitty.

I get the metaphor. "The pursuit of money shouldn't replace the pursuit of happiness"
But like oldrich said that's not reality for a lot of people as they are so closely tied together.

I don't like the way the story portrays earning millions as an inferior lifestyle to that of a poor mexican fisherman's. That's my beef with your story.

"Colt 45 and two zigzags, baby that's all we need" - Ronald Reagan

Txbeachbum showed me this story a year ago, it is a must read for all of us on here, good that it has its own thread.

I think we should be ok with the users who are against the meaning of this story, sometimes we have to disagree in order to grow, if somebody thinks the story is worthless, then let them give their opinion but i personally love this story.

I think the people who are disagreeing really don't understand the idea behind the story.

If you're strictly after money then you will probably be very unhappy. The guy, in the story, is happy with his life.

You won't be successful, in life, if money is your main motivation.

I understand the metaphor entirely, but what about the Mexican bachelor, who lives alone, has no kids to play with, no wife to be with, and lives in a village (read: America) full of sloppy unkempt women?

The concept of "live for today rather then save for tomorrow" works only if today is the day you want to live for the rest of your life. This is why the story is idyllic, it only works when you have that perfect world.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Its a good story. I was told it a while ago by some business guy at a bar. I was actually just retelling the other day to a friend. Good to find the original version.

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

The part of the story I like best is how it points out how much of our concerns for status are trivial and counterproductive to contentment.

However the story discards that some people find happiness within struggle. For that, I'm not satisfied with the parable. Many people would prefer a good challenge to a long vacation.