rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Emoticons and attraction.

Simple enough.

The first instance is the girl I described in the forum lounge, added me on fb after I ran some game on her at a bar/club (I think she found me on the event page). I thought I had my settings set so that I couldn't be found so I tease her about this she replies with: "Lol nope easy to find! Maybe cause we have mutual friends!?? I'm so sleepy! I'm working right now! Hows it goin for you!??"

unreasonable amounts of question and exclamation marks. In the bar/club most of the guys there were hitting on her and I was way too drunk for my own good so I laid off after my initial 20 min or so chat, she came up to me later in the night to restart conversation.

Another instance comes to mind, this one lizard I saw a while back (during the summer) would use the same kind of punctuation (!!!???) when she was excited or horny, she would also use smiley faces, BUT when she didn't use that kind of punctuation she kind of talked like a player should (red flag? who knows) short and to the point, one time I actually thought she was mad at me so I let her cool off for a while. I ran into her a few nights later, she came up to me apologizing thinking it was something she did that made me not want her. Awesome sex happened later that evening.

Exhibit 3: I sit beside this girl in a class, the only talking is chit-chat before the prof starts talking. Midterm comes I get her number to study (and work my magic) we get post-midterm drinks. her and her friend come back to my place to pre-drink for some event (I was going to some other thing where I was supposed to meet a girl so I didn't go along with class-girl). Anyways, in the texts and time before arranging study sessions there was no attraction being built, there were also no emoticons, exclamation marks excessive question marks being sent. Post-midterm-drinking session/after attraction was built the emoticons and punctuation marks started slowly until full on emoticon assault and date setting up.

[Image: heyyyyyy.jpg&sa=X&ei=Lv5GT6XGEKiciAKIh7j...9sJqfqbuuA]

I'm also sure many of you guys have seen this picture. From my experience that is true to some extent.

As for the opposite effect: back in my LTR last year my ex would send dumb messages like the first one I described, near the end of the relationship they slowed. Now if/when we text there is only the occasional emoticon/punctuation mark being sent. ie. the decline of attraction being correlated to emoticon/punctuation mark usage.

What do you guys think? Can the amount of question marks, exclamation marks and emoticons sent by a girl be a decent indicator or gauge of interest/attraction? (at least for younger girls) ie. is the amount of dumb shit sent proportional to her attraction to you?

Quote: (02-23-2012 10:13 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

What do you guys think? Can the amount of question marks, exclamation marks and emoticons sent by a girl be a decent indicator or gauge of interest/attraction? (at least for younger girls) ie. is the amount of dumb shit sent proportional to her attraction to you?

I've spent some time pondering this and have to give you a very un-gratifying opinion: sometimes. I went to my phone and analyzed some confirmed bangs and think that, more times than not, it does mean something. Most girls nowadays don't know how to manufacture excitement in any other way besides texted hieroglyphics, so they communicate it this way--which serves the dual purpose of being maximally safe and deniable.

The notable exceptions are attention whores who are used to responding this way to everything and anyone. These can cause false positives. But I think those are probably in the minority for most of us.

I judge my girls case-by-case. So I know what type of girl this would mean absolutely nothing coming from and the ones for whom it could mean something.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Good point on judging them case by case. The girl in the first example replied to my facebook message, same structure and punctuation as the first message. Seems like she is more the bubbly/nice attention whoring type. I'll play this one out, I have 0 recollection of what we talked about the first time though, maybe I'll use it as an experiment.

I think the cases in which the usage suggests attraction are the cases in which the usage begins as you are getting other percieved signals of interest. Or in contrast you notice her texting patterns become less filled with emoticons/punctuation. eg. WC: "meet you at place x at time y, wear heels and a skirt" her: (option 1) "ok! see you then [Image: smile.gif]" option 2: "ok" or "k" or "I'm busy then"

Like you said you have to analyze each girls patterns and figure out how they work. Regardless I think this is a good tool/reference point.

I've noticed the more innocuous the smilie, the better. Any girl will send the "winky" smilie because its flirty, and flirty attention whoring is what all girls do. I've noticed girls who sent me just simple smiles i.e. "Smile" were the ones who I ended up banging.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Quote: (02-24-2012 11:22 AM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

I've noticed the more innocuous the smilie, the better. Any girl will send the "winky" smilie because its flirty, and flirty attention whoring is what all girls do. I've noticed girls who sent me just simple smiles i.e. "Smile" were the ones who I ended up banging.

This bodes well. Seeing a girl who uses lots of "Smile" and !!s this weekend.

She comes across as genuinely upbeat, uncomplicated and nice - let's see if it holds true.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Quote: (02-23-2012 11:57 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Quote: (02-23-2012 10:13 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

I've spent some time pondering this and have to give you a very un-gratifying opinion: sometimes. I went to my phone and analyzed some confirmed bangs and think that, more times than not, it does mean something. Most girls nowadays don't know how to manufacture excitement in any other way besides texted hieroglyphics, so they communicate it this way--which serves the dual purpose of being maximally safe and deniable.

The notable exceptions are attention whores who are used to responding this way to everything and anyone. These can cause false positives. But I think those are probably in the minority for most of us.

I judge my girls case-by-case. So I know what type of girl this would mean absolutely nothing coming from and the ones for whom it could mean something.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I'm going to disagree (somewhat) with Tuth. I think it's true that girls who like you will use a lot of emoticons and whatnot, but the problem with using this to gauge whether a girl is interested is that there are way too many false-positives. A shitload of girls (not just the obvious attention whores in my experience) will use this texting style whether they're attracted to you or not, so it's not a very reliable indicator of interest when you get texts with a bunch of exclamation points and shit--it's more likely that she texts like that with everyone than it is that you're special and she only does it with you because she likes you.

That said, I think this is a useful thing to look at for two reasons:
  1. If a girl doesn't do the emoticon shit, then it's a fairly good indicator that she isn't attracted to you. For the same reason that the behavior doesn't reliably indicate attraction when it's present (most girls do it anyway), it's a very worrying sign when you don't see it because the number of girls who would refrain from using smilies and shit even with a guy they're attracted to is very small. Still, I don't think it necessarily means a girl isn't interested if she doesn't do it, but it's not a good sign.
  2. If you notice a change in her texting behavior it can indicate a change in how she views you. If her texts go from flirty to cold or vice-versa, then it's more likely to be due to how she feels about you and less likely to just be her general texting style that you're seeing.