rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

YMG's Guide to Career-Hacking on Linkedin

YMG's Guide to Career-Hacking on Linkedin

The longer I help out clients with their entry into Asia Pacific careers, the more I"m realizing that linkedin is immensely more useful than the cold call - although I certainly am not going to say that you should give up on the cold call.

Here is my guide to hacking into companies and dodging HR representatives by using linkedin. I'm going to make this entire thing specific to China so that the examples I use can be put into context.

STEP 1: JOIN LINKEDIN, UPGRADE TO BUSINESS PLUS ACCOUNT

You will have to pay a monthly fee of anywhere between 20-60 bucks, something like that, but it's worth it. By paying for this membership, you will be able to send "inmails" to strangers - in this case, decision makers and junior/senior managers in the company who have hiring power of some sort.

Think of it like paying 4-6 bucks for getting a personal introduction to someone with hiring power. That's an interview for less than the cost of lunch - it's a no brainer.

STEP 2: MAKE YOUR PROFILE A WORK OF ART

Linkedin will literally tell you, to the percent, how "complete" your profile is. Definitely add a picture, all of your academic information, and your previous work experience. Search for all your friends, former coworkers/bosses, current coworkers/bosses, former teachers, and basically anyone who could make you look like you have some kind of street cred. Add all of these people.

Request references from each of these people. For example, if you worked at an internship at "XYZ Consulting" in Atlanta, add as a contact the boss you had at that time. Then, request a reference for that specific position.

For academics and every single work experience, shamelessly request references. Beef up the amount of credibility your profile will have. The person viewing your profile should think " Wow, this person has clearly added value to every single organization with which he has ever come into contact."

Take a professional head shot and add it as your profile pic. This is not facebook - wear a suit/tie for your pic.

For each work experience you had, make four or five bullet points under each one specifying what your tasks were and WHAT THE POSITIVE RESULT OF EACH ACTION WAS.

Example: "Sourced and interviewed wind energy industry experts, enabling XYZ Consulting to explore business development opportunities in renewable energy."

The formula for each of these bullets points is WHAT YOU DID, followed by THE POSITIVE RESULT IT HAD FOR THE ORGANIZATION. Keep your grammar consistent throughout and make sure you explicitly display the value you created for the company.

STEP 3: COMPILE TARGET COMPANIES AND TARGET MANAGERS

Think of 3 industries you are particularly interested in working in.

Examples:

-Management Consulting
-Real Estate
-Luxury Goods

For each of these industries, compile 5-10 target companies you are particularly interested in. I suggest you get a mix of small/boutique firms as well as large ones.

Examples:

-Management Consulting - China Market Research Group, Deloitte, Technomic Asia, Boston Consulting Group

-Real Estate - Colliers, Jones Lang LaSalle, Cushman and Wakefield

-Luxury Goods - LVMH, Chivas, (Some boutique wine dealer), Christie's

Let's say that your target city is Beijing. Search for a "Target Manager" in each of the companies in Beijing by using the advanced search. First, search for the company name and then narrow it down to China, then to Beijing. Find managers with titles like "Senior Project Manager", "Managing Director", "Vice President." You don't want to go too high, like CEO, or else he'll just ignore you.

Ideally you want to find someone with whom you have something in common. A common nationality and/or similar alma mater are usually a great start.

RESULT:

You should now have compiled a list of target companies for each of your desired industries in your target city. Moreover, for each of these target companies, you should have at least one "target manager" who you will contact. Organize this in a word document or something.

STEP 4: CONTACT YOUR TARGET MANAGERS

You will want to create a template that you will use you message each target manager. Here is an example:

"Hello Mr. Wynwood,

My name is (your name) and I am a recent graduate of (your school). I have previously worked at (place you have worked and in what function). I am strongly interested in potential career opportunities with (the company he works for ) in (the city in which he currently works).

I believe I would be a good fit for your organization because (reason 1, reason 2, reason 3). I am interested in your specific company because (reason 1, reason 2, reason 3).

Is it possible we can set up a phone interview to discuss potential opportunities?

Best Regards,

YMG"

Create a custom "inmail" for each of your target managers and send them out, one by one. You will not get positive responses for all of them. Your goal is to set up at least 5 interviews out of however many attempts you make.

RESULT: SET UP PHONE OR IN-PERSON INTERVIEWS WITH TARGET MANAGERS, THEREBY DODGING HUMAN RESOURCES COCKBLOCKERS

STEP 5: CONDUCT PRELIMINARY INTERVIEWS AND SET UP FINAL ROUND INTERVIEWS FOR YOUR ARRIVAL IN TARGET CITY

By this point you have already conducted your phone interviews with the target managers who have replied positively to you. Let's say that you've set up 5 in-person interviews in Beijing. Let each of these managers know that you will be arriving in Beijing at whatever date works for you. Set up the interviews so that you can bang them all out in one week.

STEP 6: INTERVIEW AND OFFER

At this point you are in your target city, armed with many copies of your CV and a nice suit and tie. Also bring a nice notepad with you to the interview so that you can take notes during the interview if necessary.

Read the company website obsessively. Scour your target manager's profile and memorize his professional history. Do your best to create a bond with him during the interview and comment on previous work that his office has done for clients in the past. Express your desire to work for that office and describe a clear vision of how working at their office fits perfectly into your long term career plan.

OPPORTUNITIES MULTIPLY AS THEY ARE SEIZED.

-------------------------------

Messages In This Thread