rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Thoughts on Retail Game

Thoughts on Retail Game

So I've been working in a grocery store overnight for about a year and a half now. As much as that sounds like it sucks, it's actually been helping my social skills a lot and giving me opportunities to talk to chicks. I have however been finding myself wondering if making approaches on the job is really worth it. There are several problems I've been having.

First, I'm on the clock and sometimes it seems a bit unprofessional of me to talk to women in a flirtatious way, especially in front of other customers. It feels like I'm playing Russian Roulette when handing my number out to girls. I haven't gotten in trouble yet but I'm wondering if that's just because I work nights and the shithead managers only work days. It might not be a problem now, but I don't want to get into the habit of doing something that might cause problems in my professional life down the road. I am well beyond the point of approach anxiety, but attempting to hand a number over to a girl while at the checkstand is SCARY for me still. Do you think there any professional risks to hitting on chick while on the clock?

Second, logistics has always been a problem. Obviously people don't go to the grocery store to meet people (except me [Image: tongue.gif]). People often seem like they want to get in and get out. On a slow night I might be able to pin someone at the checkstand for a few minutes, but when it gets busy I routinely get less than a minute to talk. Since there isn't any time to really expose who I am and build attraction, I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to even talk to these girls. At the same time though it's hard for me to watch all these bangin' college girls just walk by without doing anything! With such narrow windows of opportunity, do you think I'm wasting my time and energy with these approaches?

The third problem is also logistical. When I first started getting in front of people in my retail environment I quickly realized how little time I had to make a connection. I read somewhere that having a business card is a good way to quickly hand-out contact info. I decided to buy a box of business cards with my name and number and keep them on me for any "approach emergencies". I had used these cards in my early approaches when asking for a number was challenging for me; giving mine was a lot easier. The card strategy only worked once, where I only got a date. Many seemed to find the cards a bit odd and after only a few months I stopped using them entirely. My ability to get numbers has improved significantly since I stopped using them as a crutch, but I'm starting to get the feeling that in my particular line of work they might actually be useful. Thoughts on using business cards to close an approach?

The fourth and final problem I've had is one of reading women. Working overnight at a checkstand has brought me into contact with a lot of women who also work late night service jobs. Bartenders, waitresses, retail workers, etc. As a closing comment, many girls would encourage me to "come check-out" their place of employment. At first I only took this as a throw-away invitation, but I later started taking them up on it. Some of my coworkers thought I was being a creeper doing this, but I actually started to go to their jobs during the day to stop in and chat. How has this worked? I've only done this a handful of times and it's been a mix. One girl got weirded-out, others treated me like every other customer, some seemed excited to see me there. I've only gotten a single date from these trips and eventually I figured it wasn't worth the effort to chase these girls down and attempt to talk to them while they were working. Any experiences or advice on taking chicks up on these sorts of offers? Too much work? Too forward?

As a closing comment, I would like to suggest that anyone who is struggling talking to chicks or people in general should really try to get into these sorts of retail positions. They offer a infinite amount of approaches that you actually get paid to do! Said something stupid to your last customer? Who cares! Next!

Thanks for reading all of this and for all of your consideration. All this has been on my mind for some time and I'm just glad I finally have a place to get it all out.

Messages In This Thread