rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why Did Many Great Wise Men Advocate Chastity?

Why Did Many Great Wise Men Advocate Chastity?

I decided to make a blog post while reading Benjamin's Franklin autobiography and Epictetus's The Art of Living since I felt kind of intrigued why usually many great men of the past were such advocators of chastity.

The post is quite long but in both of these men's writings we can encounter how they encourage chastity in men, which is completely opposite of what we encourage and seek as men.

I have extracted some fragments of my post to present this statement:

From Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography:
Quote:Quote:

In his autobiography, Benjamin shares a list of virtues that he created and he deemed necessary. In this post, the last virtue from the list, chastity, is the one we shall focus on.

CHASTITY: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.

From Epictetus's The Art of Living:

Avoid Casual Sex

Abstain from casual sex and particularly avoid sexual intercourse before you get married. This may sound prudish or old-fashioned, but it is a time-tested way by which we demonstrate respect for ourselves and others. Sex is not a game. It gives rise to very real enduring emotional and practical consequences. To ignore this is to debase yourself, and to disregard the significance of human relationships.

In my post I list and expand on the possible reasons for the encouragement of chastity by these men and probably by men of same intellect that also lived in previous times. It comes down to these reasons:

1. Compliance with society's standards
  2. Prevention of Unwanted Pregnancies and Bastards
  3. Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
  4. Religion
Some of the reasons listed above are more easily "discardable" than others.

From my Closing Thoughts:

Not all wise and great men were in favor of chastity of course, but is still interesting why, how, and if men who possess great intellect, social skills, diplomacy skills, and virtues like Benjamin Franklin and men who seem to be on a whole other level spiritually and philosophically like Epictetus could really overcome a powerful urge and emotion that is the male sex drive and all the elements that surround it. Furthermore the real question could actually be if this possible fact is somehow related to their genius.

I am curious on your comments and opinions, as I am sure many RVFers here, like me, set great men such as these as examples to follow in many areas of life. Yet we seem to differ a lot regarding how we view sex and what it means to us.

Messages In This Thread