rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Santiago, Chile Data Sheet

Santiago, Chile Data Sheet

Longtime reader of Roosh's blog/this forum here. I just got around to making an account so I figured I'd try and start out strong by giving out some info on Santiago, Chile, a city I've lived and gamed in fairly extensively (about 6 months total).

Santiago is the capital of South America's richest and fastest-growing economy. It has a growing number of upper- and middle-class neighborhoods and a large business sector (there are banks everywhere in any of the business districts). There is also a lot of inequality, and the city's division into distinct barrios means that you may be in a safe area of town one minute and a sketchy one the next, although in general the city gets richer and safer as you go from south to north (toward Providencia/Bellavista) and from west to east (toward Vitacura/Las Condes).

Lodging

I had a really good experience staying in a Hostel Bellavista in Barrio Bellavista. It was the cheapest one on Hostelworld.com but it had hot water, comfortable sleeping arrangements, consistent wireless internet, a large movie collection, lots of cute Brazilian girls coming through, and chill, laid-back staff who would organize parties before heading out to clubs in the area. If you're looking to pull at night I'd highly recommend staying in either the Bellavista area or in Las Condes/Vitacura for logistical regions, depending on where you plan on going out. I'd imagine staying in Las Condes or Vitacura would be more expensive since these are the most upscale areas of the city.

Food

Chileans might be the only people on Earth who eat less healthfully than Americans. Don't be surprised if your first meal after getting out of the airport is a completo, or hot dog with roughly a gallon of condiments on it. Also popular are choripan (chorizo with the aforementioned condiments), churrasco (beef sandwich w/ condiments), barros luco (beef and cheese), as queso (steak and cheese sub), and empanadas (turnovers which can be baked or fried, and are usually filled with either cheese or pino, a combination of beef, onion, eggs, and maybe some other shit). Food is cheap either off the streets or at a supermarket--a completo might cost you a little more than a dollar from a street vendor, and at the hostel we made a pasta dinner for four with veggies and egg sauce for $3-4. If you don't want mayo or avocado (which is palta, not aguacate, by the way) on anything, you'd better say so because odds are that in Chile, if it's edible, it comes with both of those on it.

For restaurants, I can't really recommend any fine-dining locations since we mostly stuck to cheaper options, but Providencia street on the whole stretch between Plaza Italia and Los Leones has a variety of options ranging from greasy Chilean cuisine to Italian and Mediterranean. One place I'll mention in particular is Valle de Oro, which serves really good sandwiches and is at the corner of Providencia closest to the Universidad Católica metro stop. If you're into microbrews/artisanal beer, there's a bar called HBH at the corner of Irarrazaval and Macúl that brews kick-ass blond, amber, and dark ales. They also serve pretty good pizza and will sometimes bring you popcorn if they see you in a group ordering a decent amount of beer.

Girls

I'm going to concentrate on picking up in clubs here. Unfortunately, as Roosh has written, the trend here is for bars to be sit-down with no opportunity for mingling. However, this isn't Argentina and if you have game you can pull from clubs. The advice that dude in Valpo gave Roosh in A Dead Bat in Paraguay is right, start in English to come off as cocky and let them know you're a gringo right away, then transition to Spanish in a few minutes depending on the girl's English level. Clubs typically have people in them from Tuesday-Saturday and the best time to go out is from midnight-4AM.

The typical Chilean girl is on the homely side in the face and maybe slightly overweight, but nowhere near at the level of the US (I'm chalking this one up to Chileans' terrible eating habits and relatively high standard of living for Latin America). However, there is considerable variation in the quality of girl you will encounter depending on what part of town you go out in. The upper-class girls (cuicas) tend to be fairer-skinned and much cuter; for the highest concentration of hotties go to clubs in Las Condes or Vitacura. The downside of going out here is that the clubs are MUCH more expensive than anywhere else, and cuicas are very difficult to game--your gringo status will do little to nothing for you especially if you're only there for a short time, and you'd better have fluent or near-fluent Spanish, and preferably a familiarity with the Chilean dialect/slang. One club in Vitacura that I liked is Las Urracas. It has a reputation for having cougars but there are plenty of young girls here; the first approach I ever did in this club resulted in a bang.

Bellavista is a great option for nightlife. It has the highest concentration of bars and clubs anywhere in the city and above-average girls. The girls here also tend to like gringos since there are a fair amount of them going out in this area. Bar Constitución is a consistently good spot with an indoor bar area, outside patio, and 2 big rooms for dancing, one featuring reggaeton/Latin music and the other house, usually. Other good clubs in Bellavista are Punta Brown (good number of decent-looking girls, BIG dance floor with upstairs and a stage where they had performers who were basically strippers), Jammin' (Jamaican club, easy to get weed), and Galpón 9 (lots of girls). If you want to keep partying after the clubs close at 4 or so, look for people on the street who can tell you about "afters," or ask people who work in your hostel.

Another area worth mentioning is Suecia, located north of Providencia street where it crosses Los Leones. This place is trashier than Bellavista and the girls aren't as good but if you don't speak good Spanish you might have an easier time pulling here with dancing and asshole/caveman-type game. Try Boomerang or the club that looks like a castle (I don't remember what it's called). There are prostitutes hanging out in this area as well. Also of note is Barrio Brasil, another nightlife hotspot that I didn't go out in very often. It's similar to Bellavista but a little less gringo-ey; don't walk through the sketchy, unlit park at night.

Your level of Spanish is HUGE in determining your success with Chilean girls, probably even more so than elsewhere in Latin America due to the difficulty and idiosyncrasies of Chilean Spanish. Most Chilean girls do not speak conversational English, and even if your Spanish is pretty good you're going to have a hard time understanding the nasty-ass Chilean accent and its plethora of unique vocabulary words. IF, however, you stick around for a few months and pick up some of the local dialect, it will pay big dividends. If you can walk into a Chilean club and fluently spit a couple of chilenismos at some girls, you will immediately have them laughing and asking questions about you. Many is the drunk gringo who tries to slobber all over a girl in Bellavista and doesn't understand a word she says, but rare is the gringo who can playfully tease her by calling her a cuica (upper-class snob) and making fun of how everybody plays that reggaeton shit out loud through their phones on the bus.

Dancing also plays big in Chile, as does going for a fast kiss (under 30 minutes ideally, an hour tops). Even if you are a shitty dancer or don't know how to dance to their music, put in a token attempt and the girl will appreciate it. It's a fantastic way to escalate and is much closer to being mandatory than it is in the US.

If you want to try and bang study abroad students I would look up a group called Miercoles Po'. They organize club nights for hundreds of foreign students on Wednesday nights during the school year, usually somewhere in Bellavista, and charge Chileans exorbitant amounts to keep the locals out. Look them up on Facebook and show up to one of these if you want to meet study abroad students (who tend to be young, horny, and overwhelmingly female). The ratio is further skewed by the fact that Chilean girls can get in here for free or cheap while Chilean guys are shut out completely due to the cover charges. It's also a good way to guarantee that you'll find a place that's hopping on a Wednesday night.

If you're staying in a hostel and can't get a private room, you will likely have to get creative in order to find a place to bang since most people live at home with their families through college. Sex motels do exist (ask a local in your area); if you're staying near Bellavista there's one located at Marin 014 (say "Marin cero-catorce" to a cab driver) that ran 13,000 pesos (about $26) for a night and more on weekends.

Daygame

The only time I did any daygame in Chile was when I was first there as a study-abroad student and just getting into the game. All I ever did was walk around campus at lunchtime and strike up conversations with the students, saying I'm new here, looking to meet new people, what does <something in Spanish> mean, do you know how to get to _____, etc. They were always open to talking to me but that could just be because I was a student. Still, if you're young and wanted to fake it you could probably just walk onto the campus of the Universidad de Chile or Universidad Católica without having to show ID (I used both of their gyms without ever being asked for my expired student ID when I went back).

There are also massive shopping malls located at Parque Arauco (in Las Condes) and Mirador (green line of the metro, a stop or 2 after San Joaquin) that had a fair amount of cute girls in them but I haven't done any approaches in one of these so I can't comment on the viability of gaming there. Another possible location is one of the many public parks, which are vast and attract large numbers of young people (although usually in large-ish groups).

Touristy Shit

One site to see during the day is Cerro San Cristóbal, a large hill accessed by walking north on Pio Nono in Bellavista that has a big Virgin Mary statue at the top and will give you a good view of the city by taking you above the smog layer. You can walk up (30-45 minutes) or take the funicular which costs around 900 pesos ($2). There's a smaller hill called Cerro Santa Lucia further up Providencia Street that has some cool architecture built into it and may be worth doing. You can also go to Palacio La Moneda, which is the seat of government for Chile and has a cool courtyard with some statues around back, as well as a historical museum in the basement (some of it free, some requiring a fee). One of Pablo Neruda's houses, La Chascona, is also located in Bellavista near the base of Cerro San Cristóbal. I went to all three of his houses in Chile and I thought this one was the coolest so check it out if you're into architecture or Neruda's life.

OK I just realized how fucking long this is, I'm gonna stop writing. If anybody wants more details on anything give me a holler.

Messages In This Thread