rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Harassment in Science, AKA Men Should Help Women

Harassment in Science, AKA Men Should Help Women

Science, especially academic science, is a brutal career. There are unique challenges for both men and women. The most successful scientists I know are the ones who don't bitch. It doesn't mean shitty stuff doesn't happen to them but they're handling it behind closed doors and in a way that doesn't draw the spotlight on themselves. The most career limiting problem I see female scientists face is that a lot of men and women just don't want to work with them. It's not personal - it's just not worth the risk of drama. What makes it more insidious is that you'll never hear any of these people voice that opinion out loud. They're generally socially conscious and aware that voicing such an opinion would be career suicide. So the vocal SJWs have basically silenced the one conversation that would be most beneficial to their careers (how do we have integrated research groups without drama).

A few other notes:
- Academia is somewhere between college and the corporate world so the rules of gender relations are always a bit weird. Male professors bang and marry their students all the time. It happens and it's often times the student who's the aggressor. Post docs fuck grad students and the admin staff on a regular basis. Even grad students (the lowest status members of academia) occasionally bag a staff member or a post doc. The point is it's pretty normal for people to hit on each other. You're spending 16 hours a day of largely unstructured time together, stuff is bound to happen.

- As a dude my work has been attributed to women I worked with by the general media more than once. Once a I lead a team of 2 women on a fairly ambitious project. They were good in the lab but not great creative thinkers. I came up with the idea that helped us get further than other groups who'd tackled the same issue. When the local academic press wrote up the project my name was left completely out of it. The two girls were given all the credit because it made for a better story. That shit happens all the time. If you work with a woman she will draw the spotlight in any press because it fits the narrative of women kicking ass in science.

Messages In This Thread