rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Harassment in Science, AKA Men Should Help Women

Harassment in Science, AKA Men Should Help Women

NYT Article: Harassment in Science, Replicated.

TLDR version: People don't take women seriously in science, woman's answer = men should step in and fix it for them.

Quote:Quote:

As an undergraduate student in biology, I spent several weeks in Costa Rica one summer with an older graduate student on a research project deep in the cloud forest. It was just the two of us, and upon arriving at our site, I discovered that he had arranged a single room for us, one bed.

[Image: gamerecognized.gif]

Kathryn Clancy, an anthropologist at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and three colleagues used email and social media to invite scientists to fill out an online questionnaire about their experiences with harassment and assault at field sites; they received 666 responses, three quarters of them from women, from 32 disciplines, including anthropology, archaeology, biology and geology.

Women make 75% of the complaints despite being 'under-represented' in academia? It's a mystery why no-one wants to hire more.

Almost two-thirds of the respondents said they had been sexually harassed in the field. More than 20 percent reported being sexually assaulted. Students or postdoctoral scholars, and women were most likely to report being victimized by superiors.

Note how the terms are used without definition. This makes pushing past someone in the corridor sit in the same category as a violent rape. All to support the victim narrative.

More than half of the female respondents said they weren’t taken seriously because of their gender, one in three had experienced delayed career advancement, and nearly half said they had not received credit for their ideas. Almost half said they had encountered flirtatious or sexual remarks, and one in five had experienced uninvited physical contact.

See the 75% complaint rate above. It's not men who are the problem, it's other women.

“Our world is small and our resources are scarce,” said another author of the PLOS One report, Julienne Rutherford, a biological anthropologist at the University of Illinois at Chicago. If women are dissuaded or excluded from even a handful of opportunities, she continued, the loss to science is enormous.

Assertion without evidence. Not a good showing for women in science so far.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

Most men are not creeps, and they have a powerful role to play here. During a field trip at a journalism conference a few years ago, I had an engaging conversation with a keynote speaker. As we parted, he told me, in front of two other men, “Your husband shouldn’t let you out of the house.”

The two bystanders brushed off this insulting attempt at a compliment. It was easier for them to let it go than to call out a friend, and their behavior said it was all right to treat me like that.

Shock and horror that her magic vagina no longer inspires men to throw their friends under the bus. I wouldn't intervene if a friend told a guy he'd just met that he was an idiot, yet because she's a woman she expects special treatment by virtue of her gender.

Author: Christie Aschwanden. WYB?

There are some really intelligent and capable women in science today, but they are the exception not the rule. And the people who attack them the most are the mediocre women who resent being judged:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamon...ueen-bees/

Quote:Comment Wrote:

When I was a graduate student in chemistry in the late 80s, there seemed to be two kinds of women in the field: those who competed with other women for the rare female slots and those who helped other women to broaden our participation in the field. The funny thing is, as the numbers of female faculty grew, those of us who worked together started to outnumber those who didn’t. Thankfully, I don’t run into many queen bees in my area anymore.

I.E. The ones who couldn't compete banded together to exclude those who were competent.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

Messages In This Thread