rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Need 2+ yrs residency in Schengen zone? Are you American with $6000? Then try DAFT!

Need 2+ yrs residency in Schengen zone? Are you American with 00? Then try DAFT!

Quote: (07-05-2014 02:25 PM)Orson Wrote:  

It therefore sounds like the Latvian residency through business or property investment (requiring 6-figures more or less) suffers from the same defect? I've read it spun both ways - that the required time in Lavia is only limited (and therefore one needn't physically stay there), or that it doesn't allow more than the standard 90-day Schengen stay outside of Latvia.

There isn't much point in Latvian residency for those who already enjoy visa-free access to the EU. It doesn't require that any time is spent in Latvia, but it also doesn't give free access to the rest of Europe - only 90/180 days, the same as a tourist visa or visa-free provisions give.
I think that scheme was designed for Russians and Chinese who need an escape plan in case they have problems at home. Usually residency is cancelled automatically if the person doesn't spend at least half the year in the country, but not under the Latvian scheme - they only need to own a house or apartment which they don't rent out (it must be kept available for themselves).

The Malta scheme was not cancelled as far as I know, but the requirements were tightened up slightly and the required investment amounts increased.

Ideally you would get an EU citizenship as quickly and cheaply as possible, because it offers the most flexibility and freedom of movement. If that isn't possible, residency is the only option and you'll have to take into account where you wish to live, cost of living, ease of getting residency, etc.

Czech Republic is relatively easy for independent people - ask Korben Dallas as I believe he's recently been through it. A lot of info is available at the following site, but I can't vouch for the company as I haven't used them personally: http://alexio.cz
The rules are very similar in Slovakia.

Poland is also quite easy on a temporary basis (see the link I posted earlier), although you won't have official residency status and there is no path to citizenship. Not having official residency status makes it very difficult to get any kind of credit or to register a car.

It's also possible to get a permit for "elective residence" on a yearly basis in Italy, France or Spain (intended mainly for retirees, but anyone can use it). You'll need to have a reasonable bank balance or passive income (probably $50k per year, but I'm not up to date with the rules).

If you marry an Italian citizen, you can become an Italian citizen yourself. It takes about 4-5 years from the date of the wedding. You don't have to live in Italy and there is no language requirement.

The DAFT scheme that you found is still likely very useful to some people here - the Netherlands isn't a bad place to live by any means.

Messages In This Thread