rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Time for a new lifestyle approach: Living in my van, working for myself

Time for a new lifestyle approach: Living in my van, working for myself

“Passion is the love of turning being into action. It fuels the engine of creation. It changes concepts to experience…. Never deny passion, for that is to deny Who You Are, and Who You Truly Want To Be.” –Neale Donald Walsch

For the people who have followed my posts on the Oil Sand thread where I have been quite prolific about earning big bucks and working like a dog this thread will be representing my dramatic shift in lifestyle:

I am quitting drilling, selling a lot of my stuff, going to start working for myself or at least on my own terms and most dramatically I am going to start living in my van.

It won't happen all at once but I hope by the end of the summer to be living a very minimalistic lifestyle that maximises my personal freedom and happiness. Its been brewing a long time under the surface but I have now started to put my plans into action. I purchased something similar to this earlier this week:

[Image: picture.php?getid=25912&table=cars]

My lease is nearly up in Edmonton and next week when the camper deal is finalised I hit the road for two months. Ill be driving down to New Orleans by myself initially while I start building the skillset needed to live out of a van and survive on the road. I know a girl who has a place where I can park it and use their showers and kitchen for the length of my stay. Using that as a home base I can come and go as I please on multiday road trips up and down the coast. I have done my fair share of surfing road trips but this will be the first time I will being living in a camper for an extended period of time.

Plan for the year:

Learn to get by on just the basics. While fancy stuff is nice I don't need it and I would rather have my money for extended surf trips and travel.

Move from drilling to a more independent location-free profession - most likely welding. I see this as the trade equivalent as quitting your office job and starting an online business. Although welding will initially mean a drop in pay it will allow me to travel for bigger blocks of time and hopefully mean that one day I can pick and choice my own work, run my own company and most importantly decide my own time off. Welding is also a handy skill for any country if things really hit the fan and I want to survive in some third world town.

I am not hating on drilling but I see how guys end up who do it for an extended period of time and that's not what I am about.

Health and well being. I am going to start learning to rely more on myself for life's essentials: growing food, catching fish, hunting, repairing stuff instead of endlessly buying new things etc. I want to start eating a lot better and doing things like yoga and meditation. I will still lift heavy and get my protein!

Why the change?

Since I have stopped drinking (thanks to the Lizard of Oz drink thread) I have gotten great clarity and have been on a bit of a soul search. I dug up some of the old and new posts by Roosh. Mike CF, Giovinny and lots of the other guys here. I started to picture a life where I was as free as possible, could travel, surf, experience nature and move around a lot. I started thinking back to all the old adventures I had on the road and the many people I have meet who lived in vans who really enjoyed the experience.

I did a lot of research a came across a whole sub culture of van life - search #vanlife. They share a lot of the same philosophy that we promote on here: health, freedom, travel, independence, unplugging from the matrix etc. I think its one way to live a location independent 'red pill life' while still remaining in the west. Plus it appeals to me on a core basis.

So I will be sure to keep everyone updated on what its like to live in a van and still pull young hot ass. So far I have quite a few tinder girls wanting to help me 'break it in' [Image: banana.gif]

As for how I am going to manage the Alberta winters:

I will get a storage unit for my regular truck that I can switch out when I want to go work. I will leave the camper somewhere warmer during the winter that I can fly to between jobs and try block my work as much as possible during the winter to avoid having to stay in hotels up here. Scotian seems well able to work 3-4 months straight and take large blocks of time to avoid paying rent in Edmonton. I will be using a similar approach.

[Image: redwoodbackground.jpg]

Messages In This Thread