rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Moving to Colombia, A lil' help please

Moving to Colombia, A lil' help please

1. BOG vs MED: Really depends on what you like man. You should try both for a short visits and see what suits your needs better. Weather in BOG definitely gets old but the variety the city offers is refreshing.

2. Decent level of Spanish: Yeah, you should. But if you don't, fucking go anyway man. If you don't know anything, practice basic conversation stuff and this:
A. "A la orden, a la orden, a la orden" = "How may I help you?" or "At
your service..."
B. "mangos, mangos, mangos" = "Mangos, mangos, mangos"
C. "paraguas, paraguas, paraguas" = "Umbrellas, umbrellas, umbrellas"

Now if anyone asks you "?Que haces agui?" or "?En que trabajas?" or any phrase regarding your profession or why you may be in Colombia, tell them you sell mangos ("Vendo mangos.") or that you sell umbrellas ("Vendo paraguas.") and then start repeating either mangos or paraguas (whichever one you said) and throw in some "A la orden, a la orden" too. The umbrellas one works great in BOG b/c it is always raining.

They will love this shit b/c it shows you are paying attention to the culture and that you have a sense of humor. In their minds you're culturally invested even though you really might not be. I feel like I'm giving away state secrets that one but whatevs. You could also say "Minutos, minutos, minutos" which is what those people who rent the minutes on their cell phones do as well.

3. COL vs anywhere else: Man, that just depends on you. Colombian Spanish is a great one to learn as it is pretty neutral, especially in BOG. It is a very clean accent. But going to Colombia may help you learn Spanish better just b/c the hot girls are a great motivation whereas in Peru or Nicaragua or wherever, this may not be the case.

Definitely have some footwear with traction like mentioned before. Don't even bother bringing shoes that have leather soles. The rain+hills+stone street combo is comical.

I had a friend bring down these for me and this is the type of sole that helps combat the slipperiness:

http://www.shoemall.com/not-available/p/...-available

Not sure if they can still be bought, but something like that is perfect. Those are some bad ass casual boots if you can find any available.

Have fun man.

Messages In This Thread