rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Olympic champion in tears over 'body image'

Olympic champion in tears over 'body image'

Quote:Quote:

Rebecca Adlington, the Olympic swimmer, has broken down in tears during her appearance in I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here, as she admits the pressure to look good left her “very, very insecure”.

Adlington, who has won four Olympic medals, said she received abuse on a weekly basis about her looks after rising to fame for her talent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvand...looks.html

[Image: rebecca-adlington-_2742461b.jpg]

Now - I haven't started this thread to slag a girl off about her looks. She is an Olympic champion so she is cool in my book.

The reason I have started it is because I get anal about people not being logical.

This chick was crying on a reality TV show to a model saying how insecure she was about her looks - and saying how she hated being judged by her appearance.

At which point:

Quote:Quote:

She added: “For me, I was an athlete, I wasn't trying to be a model, but pretty much every single week on Twitter I get somebody commenting on the way I look."

The swimmer was comforted by former EastEnders actress Laila Morse, who told her she was "beautiful".

To me - it is stupid to want to speak out against society's obsession with beauty whilst at the same time being comforted by false praise for one's own beauty.

To me that is a giant hamster at work.

Either embrace being ugly - and tell society to fuck off.

Or come out and tell people you hate being ugly. And you would swap all your gold medals to be beautiful (which I am sure she would - if she is honest).

Don't tell people that you don't care for society's obsession with beauty - whilst simultaneously allowing people to use those same labels as a way of trying to comfort you. Particularly when the praise is unearned.

Sorry - double standards like that just jump out at me.

Like at work I tell people I am a fat fuck (which I am). And then people go - "Oh you are not really, you just need to lose a few pounds."

Man - I am not fishing for compliments. I am just trying to defend the English language from being debased into the bland politically correct newspeak which is now so prevalent. Yet people just won't have it.

It is a silence which speaks volumes. When you run away from a label which you pretend you don't care about.

It proves that you couldn't care about it any more.

Messages In This Thread