rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A question for the musicians

A question for the musicians

Quote: (10-23-2013 10:51 AM)StudebacherHoch Wrote:  

Quote: (10-22-2013 04:58 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

But I do wholeheartedly believe in talent when it comes to musical composition. Everyone hears music differently and different music comes to different people. Some of is it better than others.

SO, so true...playing is so much "easier" than writing (well)! You rarely hear musicians talking about "playing block"...but plenty have suffered from "writer's block", myself included. The late Jerry Garcia is a perfect example - he LOVED to play the guitar; would sit for hours on end and practice, but he HATED writing music. He worried about repeating himself, being too derivative, etc. Steely Dan mastermind Donald Fagen has also been vocal about dealing with long periods of writer's block. But when it flows (for me, I write my best music when there is some sort of stress/conflict in my personal life) ~ grab your figurative muse and bone her hard before she disappears again!

The payoff to composing/recording is that you're able (particularly in this day & age of home recording) to polish your music to a fine sheen; it becomes a great DHV tool. Bring a chick back your place, put on your tracks and hopefully she'll say, "wow - this is great music, who is it?" My music is really eclectic - classical/jazz/fusion/world/EDM/etc., and I've seen it have an almost-hypnotic effect on women ("you wrote all of this???") AND because it's "done" and playing on your system - it becomes the perfect mood-setter to escalate! [Image: smile.gif]

My new studio space - drums, congas, vibraphone & MalletKat not shown.

I'm jealous of your home studio rig.

::drools::

Messages In This Thread