rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

An American NIghtmare of "Imputed Income"

An American NIghtmare of "Imputed Income"

Quote: (10-20-2013 06:16 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Alimony is a court Order, so failure to pay alimony isn't just failure to pay a debt, but is also failure to obey a court Order. Since failure to pay alimony is a civil matter, the payor/debtor should always request a "purge provision" in order to avoid having to go to jail. A purge provision basically states that any jail sentence will be stayed if the person found in contempt pays a specific sum of money, often a very reasonable amount.

You know the imputed income thing is bogus, but I get the distinct impression that many people really have just sub-standard legal advice...and good legal advice can make all the difference in the world. Hell, I know of a partner in a law firm (who you would think is very savvy) that was screwed in MA on this type of thing due to poor work by his divorce attorney. Now, why it all has to be so complex is a different matter altogether. I'd be really interested in knowing what divorce proceedings are like in other countries.

Messages In This Thread