rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Government shutdown

Government shutdown

Quote: (10-07-2013 07:58 AM)Easy E Wrote:  

This argument is a little disingenuous. First, we didn't have a real government shutdown (only "non-essential workers" were furloughed, about 40% of total fed workers). Second, tax receipts cover about 68% of government spending, so if there was no raise of the debt ceiling, then yeah we could pay the bond holders...but we would immediately have to enact a 32% cut in government spending. That is about a third. That is a huge cut. No, let me rephrase that: That is a fucking HUUUUUUGE cut in government spending. The stock market would tank on this news because it would mean an instant, massive decrease in spending.
Thus, the debt ceiling is getting raised...it is just a matter of whether it is raised prior to Oct. 17 or a few days after when the stock market crashes. Either way, it is getting raised.
We need a huge cut.

The stock market is going to crash? Just like it crashed when the government shut down on 1 Oct, oh wait it didn't.

But wait, why do you care if the stock market crashes? I thought the Democrats were against corporate welfare, so again why do you care if the rich and corporations lose a bunch of money?

Let's face it businesses are relieved that the government is shut down.

The U.S. existed and prospered before so much government and we can do so again. Your statement is typical fear mongering that the world is going to end if we don't have a bloated, corrupt, wasteful government operating at 100%.

Quote: (10-07-2013 08:18 AM)It_is_my_time Wrote:  

Quote: (10-07-2013 03:50 AM)Pacesetter20 Wrote:  

Quote: (10-07-2013 03:08 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

I'm a biased pinko, but it seemed like a triumph for Dems when the Rethugs refused to fund the exact programs they previously voted in favor of ( Affordable Care Act, all the other good stuff like missiles and food stamps) .
ACA was passed under a Democratic controlled House, Senate & President.

But even, is it impossible to have a change of heart when you realize a mistake and are trying to fix/prevent it from getting worse?

If I remember correctly, only a couple of Republicans voted for it, and all them were in their last term (planning retirement) and they had to be bought off by the Democrats (huge kickbacks to their districts).

One was from Maine (Snow I believe was her name) and another was from Nebraska.

Not only is Obamacare VERY bad for men and VERY bad for our economy, it was passed under some of the most partisan politics imaginable.

http://heartland.org/policy-documents/vo...-obamacare

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ro...vote=00396

No Republican voted for Obamacare in the House.

One Republican abstained from Obamacare in the Senate and none voted for it (Both Independents voted for it in the Senate).

Messages In This Thread