rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Free Book Thread

The Free Book Thread

Looking to access a lot of knowledge and wisdom without affecting your budget too much?

If we don't have one already, let's make this a place where we share free books we come across. Many of the books in the public domain that are out of copyright are timeless classics, especially those on personal development and success principles. As they say, there's nothing new under the sun, and many concepts we regard as ground-breaking today, in a wide range of subjects, have already been popularized or at least explored by eccentric geniuses in the past.

To be sure, I think this thread should be only for "must-reads" that are free - don't just post books because they are free if they are a lukewarm read. Gold nuggets only.

Can be from Kindle, Project Gutenberg, online downloads, whatever...

I'll start off with a few I have in my Kindle library:

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Inspirational read and while boring in places offers some great lessons in productivity and personal development. I can't vouch for this particular version, but there are other free ones available as well.

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Not sure if I ever read this as a kid, but I read it this year, and wow...one of the most amazing novels I've ever had the pleasure to dig into. Crazy that an author could make a story with a damn dog as the main character so emotionally powerful...It's no wonder Jack London's name never died.

Within You is the Power by Henry Thomas Hamblin

This old book may be a bit too on the "law of attraction" side for many, and talks a lot about a Divine Power, but a lot of great wisdom here about how to deal with life challenges and how to take control of your life's path. Here's a quote: "The only life that is easy is the life of the strong soul who has overcome. His life is not easy in reality, but appears relatively so because of his strength. It is impossible to have an easy life, and, if it were possible, than life wold be not worth living, for the sole object of life is the building of character and the attainment of wisdom through experience."

How to Live on 24 Hours a Day by Arnold Bennett

A timeless self-help classic (1910) about productivity, self-improvement, and making the most of your time on this Earth. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Live...ours_a_Day

Walking by Henry David Thoreau

A surprisingly good book if you like getting in touch with nature and getting lost in your own thoughts - the writer, of course, needs no introduction. Amazon Desc: "A meandering ode to the simple act and accomplished art of taking a walk. Profound and humorous, companionable and curmudgeonly. Walking, by America's first nature writer, is your personal and portable guide to the activity that, like no other, awakens the senses and soul to the 'absolute freedom and wildness' of nature."

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread