rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why don't people like Drake?

Why don't people like Drake?

KRS-One pointed out that songs like Kanye's "flashing lights" can be hard to call hip hop in the traditional sense (even though I like the beat for what it is).

Drake is sort of the same way, and similar to Nicki Minaj. Both were doing more actual rapping when they first started, but now it's hard to say how they fit into "hip hop culture".

Like they've transcended to pop star status, and you listen to a song and you gotta ask "okay is this hip hop, RnB, pop? Or why does that beat sound a bit like "EDM" too?"

Yes, gettin' money and materialism has always been a part of hip hop, but literally Drake bases most of his rhymes/videos off that, or emo lovey dovey tracks that appeal to women.

So it's easy to see why he gets accusations of "fakin the funk" as Athlone pointed out.

Also, contrast Drake's vibes to another Canadian success story, Shad, who actually gets props from Common, rather than burns.

Shad has been blowing up the underground, and never tries to front on being hard or "starting from the bottom".

The guy is a Grad student originally from London, Ontario, Canada growing up in a devout Pentecostal family (you can hear echoes of this in his ending verses, and how he flips Jay Z's lines).

Check some real flow:

Also, The guy who wrote the fake Ghostface blog did a pretty funny breakdown of Drake:

Quote:Quote:

2. Drake aka the Patron Saint of Tenderness aka the Human Glee Episode aka The Inventor of the Audio Scrunchie aka the Merchant of Cuddles otherwise known as The Wizard of Pause. When son aint travelin the world collectin magic wands n lookin for next level china patterns...you can usually find the boy doin lyrical origami on a track or out rescuin strippers from captivity nahmean. You kno you soft when you feel good bout droppin 10 Gs on a shower head that sprays lavender fragrances n shit. Word is bond...you kno you soft when chicks be showin how to do makeovers on youtube to look like you. You kno you soft when you inspire muthafuckin Zac Efron to get YOLO tatted on his creamy little hand b. You kno you soft when the furry mascots at ball games n shit be askin if they can get pictures wit YOU son. You kno you soft when you got a pink budgie, a baby owl n Aaliyah's face all tatted 5 inches apart from each other on ya back. Son I can keep goin but you should get the point by now...

http://bigghostnahmean.blogspot.ca/2012/...-game.html

[Image: drake+cuddle.jpg]

All that said, the guy put in serious work to get where he is (25 mill isn't as easy as it used to be), and he always tries to give back and give recognition to Toronto.

I've been told he's a nice dude in person, I'm just not feeling his style/music that much.

Messages In This Thread