rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

theory about how to 'fix' Afghanistan

theory about how to 'fix' Afghanistan

I have a bullshit layperson's theory on what might make a difference in Afghanistan that I want to try out, particularly to see what those of you who have been there think.

From what I understand, a big problem with Afghanistan--why it is ungovernable--is the geography. Lots of rugged mountains, no big rivers or access to the sea to allow easy communication/transportation between regions. This creates 2 problems: 1) it's very difficult for a central government to exert authority, and 2) all the isolated hill tribes remain very insular, resistant to outsiders, backward, etc.

Could this situation be improved by a massive program of road-building? Hypothetically, if the country was criss-crossed by something like our interstate highway system, could that eventually change the culture? Or perhaps railroads could work the same way. But if the country could be physically linked together, then my thought is that even after we leave, there could be gradual progress. Easier for the national government to govern, gradual spread of education and commerce, etc.

I am not sure if something like this is even possible, even with the amounts of money and manpower we have been pouring in. The interstate highways were built pretty quickly in the U.S. I think, but that was with the industrial output of an advanced nation, much easier terrain for the most part, and a lot less sniping and IEDs.

I apologize if this seems retarded. Just something I have been mulling.

Messages In This Thread