rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vietnam Motorbike Tour – Hanoi to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)

Vietnam Motorbike Tour – Hanoi to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)

I did a much shorter motorbike trip but loved it. I took the overnight train from Hanoi north to Lao Cai right next to the border with China. Then got a mini bus to Sapa. There I rented a motorbike and did 7 days driving all around the mountains and visiting tiny mountain villages.

On about my 3rd day I saw this dirt road leading up a mountain and thought I would check it out, after about 30 minutes I am way up the mountain and I reach a small village of about 20 huts. Everyone is coming out to look at me and there is a big commotion, it was like the whole village stopped everything to come check me out.

Luckily one guy about 20 years old speaks english and we have a chat for a while. Next thing I know I am getting a tour of the village and he invites me to stay with his family for the night. I thought what the hell this should be interesting.

They feed me some rice and chicken for dinner and then he takes me to this really old guys hut and ask if i want to smoke the pipe with him. I asked what he was smoking and it was opium. I had never smoked opium before and thought what the hell. So there I am laying on the wood floor of a tiny hut in a mountain village in the norther most part of Vietnam smoking opium with this guy who looked 80+ years old. It was a surreal experience for sure.

Turns out I passed out about 45 minutes after we smoked and I just slept right there on the wood floor in the old guys hut until I woke up the next morning. It took me a good 3 or 4 minutes to figure out where I was and what was going on, I was so confused.

After I got my thoughts together and figured out what was going on I got up and found my english speaking buddy and ate some pho for breakfast with him and then he announced to the village I was leaving and about 30 people all came out to wave good bye.

And that is why I travel.

Messages In This Thread