rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Note to Senior Members: Increase in Borderline Trolling and Other "Misconduct"

Note to Senior Members: Increase in Borderline Trolling and Other "Misconduct"

Dear Senior and Seasoned Members:

Just wanted to send a note out to the membership about some recent trends in the forum that I've noticed. These have resulted in a noticeable shift of tone and increased moderator activity behind the scenes. A number of warnings (both formal and informal) have gone out, including to some seasoned, senior members. I think a note like this makes more sense than individually and punitively policing you guys like newbies, though the latter is sometimes called for.

Contrary to popular belief, senior members aren't above the rules and penalties of the forum. There's nothing wrong with seasoned members--who have put in the time and value to help make this place what it is--getting comfortable and expecting a certain amount of leeway. You've earned that. I, myself, expect that to a certain degree.

However, for this place to continue to run smoothly--especially as we continue to grow--you still need to observe best practices and show respect to the community and its members. Your contributions earn you credibility, respect, and the benefit of the doubt, but they don't earn you carte blanche or a free-to-troll pass. Lately, I've seen guys abusing their status and dancing on, or repeatedly crossing, the troll line. I'm not sure if this is a product of boredom or a sense of impunity--from being here for a while--but some guys' signal-to-noise ratio has tipped in the other direction. A good test for this is that a newbie would be banned, with no hesitation, for their behavior.

Some of the trends that I've observed:
  • Starting multiple junk or low-value troll threads
  • Crossing the line from light, playful joking with other members into personal insults, taunting, or egregious provocation
  • Boldly criticizing the forum administration
  • Ridiculing moderation penalties (and its recipients)
  • Increased aggression, negative tone, and unproductive complaining
  • Mini-meltdowns
There's nothing wrong with a joking, playful tone between members who know each other--whether in-person or virtually through the forum. I, myself, engage in this camaraderie. But know that it stops being a joke when you repeat it several times or take on an aggressive or negative stance. Also, be mindful that your behavior sets an example for the always-growing number of new members who don't know the dynamics of this place as well as you do. Your status, in other words, also comes with a set of responsibilities: keeping the signal-to-noise ratio in the positive, policing yourself to a certain degree, and using your trust and credibility responsibly.

I won't name names, but there is a group of members for whom this note is especially pertinent. Regardless of whether you think you're part of that group, take a minute to evaluate your recent posts and consider whether your next post adds value or takes it away, whether it contributes to our sense of community or dilutes it. What would happen to a newbie if they posted what you're about to post? Are you trolling? Are you being a dick? If you don't have anything to contribute at the moment, there's nothing wrong with taking a break from posting and lurking for a while.

This note note isn't intended to be a menacing threat, but know that punitive measures (suspensions and bannings) can happen to guys with thousands of posts or dozens of rep points. Ultimately, the health of the RVF is the priority. What has kept this place as the best game/manosphere/travel community on the Internet is its relatively low tolerance of trolling and other bullshit behaviors, including from senior members.

Remember your forum rules (especially 1 and 9), remember to be beta on the forum, and remember to hit the report button if see a dispute brewing or think people are crossing the line.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

-Tuthmosis

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Messages In This Thread