rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do you think learning new things becomes significantly harder in your 30s?

Do you think learning new things becomes significantly harder in your 30s?

I feel like I'm starting to really understand the phrase "can't teach an old dog new tricks." I totally get why the parents of some of my latino friends still don't speak much English after having been in the country for decades. I feel like trying to learn a new language as you're getting older is tough. I don't know why that is, it's not like I'm senile or something, but I can learn some vocabulary, then damn near have forgotten it and have to look up the words again a few weeks later. And having to decode different word orders and tenses and verb conjugations in real time is just daunting. I seriously wonder if this is just out of my capability at this point. Now if someone is speaking to me in Spanish or Portuguese using very basic sentences with no fancy tenses and irregularities, I can get the gist of it, but I don't know if I have any hope of ever being fully fluent in these languages.

I feel like the same in other areas of life too. Something like a programming technology I might have picked up in a snap in my mid 20s I have to really struggle with now. It's kind of depressing.

Messages In This Thread