rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Which IT skill has big long term potential?

Which IT skill has big long term potential?

Quote: (04-08-2015 05:38 AM)PauBrasil Wrote:  

Never thought of a remote job doing systems programming, I guess I'm going to do some research on this, thank you.

Well, as you were talking about it, I think focusing on ancient niches like COBOL, Ada, etc. might be a good idea as well, but I don't know if it's more location independent.

It's not the most common thing and you may not be able to start getting paid working remotely, but it happens. Open source projects are a good way to build credibility. As you learn more you can escalate your involvement. Maybe one you start to know a system and coding well enough you can start yourself off in a project by submitting ports. Once you get more skilled an experienced you can work on components of the OS yourself. It's a decent way to build a CV if you end up liking this stuff.

A lot of people who get paid for Linux development start this way and then when a company approaches them to do work they ask where the money is. People who've built the credibility then start getting checks.

This takes time though, and I can't recommend it unless after trying it you end up actually liking it. It takes money to have a solid quality of life, but at some point you have to optimize quality of life over quantity of money.

Messages In This Thread