rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Parks and Recreation and MTV Overplay Their Hand On "MRA"-Based Jokes

Parks and Recreation and MTV Overplay Their Hand On "MRA"-Based Jokes

Quote: (02-15-2015 12:29 AM)Snowplow Wrote:  

I used to watch the show. It had its good/humor moments. Ron is the only enjoyable character.

I haven't watched it in about a year, but honestly it never struck me as pushing a SJW/feminist type of narrative.

Obviously one of the main characters is a female politican with an affinity for pants suits, but she's portrayed as annoying loser and is always fucking things up. Most of the other characters seem to feel more sorry for her than actually like here.

The only characters who aren't total fuck ups are:

- Ron, the very traditionally masculine and conservative character; they do poke fun at him at times, but he's usually seen as the wiser and more reasonable character
- Ann, who is a nurse, feminine, long hair, pretty; very deferential in her romantic relationships
- Chris, who is extremely health conscious and optimistic, successful and handsome; again, the brunt of a few jokes here and there, but he's also viewed as very reasonable and strong

In the first two seasons, they also had Mark, who was also a pretty masculine character and a huge player. He actually pumps and dumps Leslie in the first season.

Outside of those four, everyone else is constantly shit on. Snarky April is shown as being very insecure and immature, Tom is basically a caricature of fake, "modern" masculinity, Ben is a beta nerd, Jerry is a huge joke in the office and lets everyone walk all over him, Andy is the lazy, dumb modern man, Donna is the "strong black woman" but morbidly obese and unattractive. Then you have Jean-Ralphio and his sister, the slutty, crass modern woman who is portrayed as an utter disaster.

Like I mentioned, I haven't watched in a season or two, so maybe they've jumped the shark since then, but in the first five or so seasons, the 4 most likable, well-balanced characters are the strong, masculine men and a feminine woman. Meanwhile the masculine female characters and weak or fake masculine male characters are portrayed as annoying fuck ups.

Messages In This Thread