rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Another reason to test people to have kids - 2 year old shoots mom

Another reason to test people to have kids - 2 year old shoots mom

I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-ignorance.
I grew up around guns, used to compete at target shooting, and still occasionally hunt.
My father is an army vet, and he gave me a lot of talks and education, and examples and training before I was ever allowed to put my hands on a real weapon. Stuff like treat every weapon as if was loaded and be sure of your target/backstop is reflexive to me, since he literally drilled into my head by repetition when I was a little boy. Safety, safety, safety. Combined with practice and expertise was what he was all about.
When I got out into the world, and met some of the "average" gun owners that would show up with their new toy at gun clubs or run their mouths at the bar, I was appalled. I had no idea just how ignorant and irresponsible people could be.
It made me seriously question our gun laws, and also the NRA. Back in the day, when I was growing up, my perception was that the NRA was an organization dedicated to education, excellence, and responsible/safe gun ownership. At some point in the 90s, it got corrupted by the major gun manufacturers who wanted more sales, and it morphed into a political action committee that fought against all gun regulations everywhere.
I don't think it's realistic for everyone to have as much training and preparation as my Dad gave me, but I think owning a gun should be at least as difficult as getting a driver's license. There should be a training period that involves classroom hours, pratical training, and a final test. Perhaps there could be a way for people with previous firearms training to skip right to the final test and not have to sit through a 2 month course. Also screening for mental illness/criminal past would be a good idea.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

Messages In This Thread