rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is being middle-class the hardest?

Is being middle-class the hardest?

I would disagree with your hypothesis that upper class kids already have it made and that there is little pressure to succeed. In fact I would say that the pressure to succeed increases as your family gains in status. I know a few upper class kids (0.1%) and you can see in their faces their pain and stress to do well, because they really want to do well and exceed expectations, and of course are very worried about failure. No parent has a kid thinking "this kid is going to end up doing less than me." All hope that their kid does better.

Rich VP at a tech company worth $30 million? Kid better start a biotech company and make 3x that.

Dad makes 300k in a corporate management gig? Kid better make VP.

Single mom makes 50k working as HR office drone? Kid better get that upper management job.

Which of these 3 is hardest to do?

For the poorest of the poor, those with only one parent and that parent is a crack addict who's on welfare, there are no expectations. But then again, why would you want no expectations?

In fact, I'd say that being middle class is the best, because your expectations are very achievable, the stress level to make it huge is not that high. But you also have some expectations so you do feel somewhat obliged to work hard and make something of yourself.

I fail to see the reasoning behind your family having high aspirations for you being a bad thing. It's only a bad thing if you yourself don't have high aspirations, which of course is not a problem for anyone on this forum [Image: lol.gif]

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

Messages In This Thread