rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Comedian Bill Burr: Lizards want to ruin the NFL

Comedian Bill Burr: Lizards want to ruin the NFL

Bill Burr is brilliant, because his integrity and thirst for truth is the CORE of his comedy.

A lot of comics, they come up with a bit, and don't necessarily believe what they're saying. They're just doing comical masturbation - hey, let's see if people laugh at this, and then I'll throw it out there, and that's my act! It's just a bunch of silly bullshit to push people's buttons.

Burr, on the other hand, is saying, "Hey, fuck you, I don't care what you think, I'm going to tell you how the world works. And I'm so passionate and lucid about it, and so good at revealing bullshitters for what they are, you're going to get fired up and laugh at the same time."

There is never a moment in Burr's act where he isn't speaking with complete conviction. Everything he says, he means. He's never saying something and then saying, "hey, it was just a joke! I don't really believe that! Sike!" The edgiest, realest comics always have that quality to them, like Chris Rock.

How many comics can simultaneously fire you up and make you laugh at the same time? Most of them are clowns who do just the opposite, who pacify you with irrelevant, silly trivia.

Quote: (10-01-2014 06:53 PM)aSimpNamedBrokeback Wrote:  

Doug Stanhope also had a good bit about the NFL.

I don't really get this guy - I just can't bring myself to laugh at 90% of his shtick. And I love Bill Burr. He has a smoker's voice, sure, but take that away and his comedy seems pretty clunky and overwrought. I get the feeling he has a lot of 'alt-comedy' fans.

You could tell Bill Burr wasn't getting much love from the audience when he was really hammering the point home - not so much because his delivery or content was bad, but because Conan's audience is a bunch of alt comedy type hipsters. I'm ambivalent about Conan but his fans are annoying and unfunny as fuck. The audience only weirdly laughed when he made that meta joke about getting that story right the next time.

Messages In This Thread