rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Man forbidden from flying U.S. flag on his balcony because it could offend foreigner

Man forbidden from flying U.S. flag on his balcony because it could offend foreigner

Quote: (09-23-2014 01:05 PM)Sherman Wrote:  

This seems much o' do about nothing. In the first article, there was a dispute about apartment regulations. No you can't hang a flag anywhere. In the second article, they were trying to prevent people from using American flag shirts to bully and provoke people. You think this would be a good thing. Ironically, in the 60s, yippies were arrested and prosecuted for wearing clothing made out of an American flag. Now the conservative right considers it a patriotic act. Duh.

".... Abbie was arrested before entering another because he wore an American flag shirt..."
http://badassdigest.com/2011/10/17/the-b...e-hoffman/

I agree with your first point. Landlords can make their own rules about that kind of stuff.

Your second, however, is ridiculous. Whether a display is bullying or provoking is completely subjective. I'm sure a lot of students felt bullied or provoked by a bunch of insular-minded foreigners proudly displaying flags from their former country. Does that mean they should be banned from school? No.

Furthermore, how well do you think Mexicans would take it if a bunch of gringos moved down there, went to their schools, and shoved American patriotism in their face on the 4th of July?

I don't think they'd like it and I definitely wouldn't blame them.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Messages In This Thread