rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Quote: (08-10-2011 04:58 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Quote: (08-10-2011 01:53 PM)dk902 Wrote:  

This takes years to build. Right now I can deadlift 450lbs and I'm 180lbs, but it's taken me 3 years of busting my ass to get here and I still don't even consider that to be strong.

That's awesome. 450 pounds at 180. You are no slouch, my friend. What do you consider strong, then?

Hey dude, yeah it wasn't to be boastful, it was just to say when I read about guys who lift 600lbs I think to myself 'I'm not even strong.' It's like when I read something Mixx or Roosh writes after I've been on a hot streak and I think I need to do more, which is good and makes you aspire, but I suppose you can't compare yourself to those sorts of people!

I'll be happy when I can deadlift 600lbs, I think that will be in 2-3 years time. My other lifts pale in comparison to my deadlift, I think there's something about my physiology that makes me excel at it (I'm only 5"10). However one thing I have found is great grip strength = great deadlift.

One exercise I do and can't recommend enough is the Kroc Row. The concept is getting a heavy dumbell and doing bent over rows with a heavy weight then doing as many reps as you can between 20-50 reps. These are humbling but good. Best left for the end of a workout, to give it your all. I can't tell you how much this has improved my deadlift from doing it every week for the past 2 years. Also I never do any direct Lat work, and they give you some serious wings, like you would almost take off! I never have a problem locking out a deadlift and my grip never fails me. Also I never deadlift without chalk, if your gym doesn't let you, use liquid chalk. Also one other tip for deadlifts, to improve your grip, on your warm-up sets use a double-overhand grip.

Other good deadlift improvers are Good-Mornings, Glute Ham Raises, and your staple compounds, i.e. Dips, Military Press, Squat and Bench that all help. As the deadlift basically uses every muscle in your body to get that weight off the floor. Deadlifting builds a great set of traps and an awesome back. I know so many guys that don't Squat or Deadlift...their loss.

I compare lifting weights in many ways to game, it takes time and practice to get good. You have to spend hours in the gym, learning the motor patterns and putting your body through its paces, like pounding pavement but in this case iron. Also for me, strength is like high-end players who say there is no end game once you're in the game. I can't ever say there's a weight I will reach that I will ever be happy at, I will always want more and to lift more, unless I reach my genetic ceiling [unlikely!]

One final thing, in terms of squats, I think it's more than fine to squat 3 times a week. Your body gets used to it...read this article excerpt (article can be found here)

Quote:Quote:

There's no Such Thing as Overtraining

If you got a job as a garbage man and had to pick up heavy cans all day long, the first day would probably be very difficult, possibly almost impossible for some to complete. So what do you do, take three days off and possibly lose your job?

No, you'd take your sore, beaten self to work the next day. You'd mope around and be fatigued, much less energetic than the previous day, but you'd make yourself get through it. Then you'd get home, soak in the tub, take aspirin, etc. The next day would be even worse.

But eventually you'd be running down the street tossing cans around and joking with your coworkers. How did this happen? You forced your body to adapt to the job at hand! If you can't' squat and lift heavy every day you're not overtrained, you're undertrained! Could a random person off the street come to the gym with you and do your exact workout? Probably not, because they're undertrained. Same goes with most lifters when compared to elite athletes.

Messages In This Thread